Can Flashlights Survive EMP? (Part 2)

Confederate

Enlightened
(Moderator note: Link to previously closed thread (Thanks for the link matt0) & we'll consider this new thread "Part 2".)

Several scenarios proffered by the military include an electro-magnetic pulse attack on the United States by ships located in the Gulf of Mexico. Such attacks would threaten the electrical grid of the entire country, as well as communications and even transportation.

Dismal as these might be, what effect might one expect on regulated flashlights? Would EMP zap them, and would having batteries in or out make any difference?

I also noticed a pouch available on DX that blocks cell phone signals. Although it's meant for keeping cell phones from going off in certain situations, I wondered if they might serve to protect electronic devices such as phones, PDAs, and, of course, flashlights.

If anyone's up on this, please let me know. Just trying to cover all my bases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can Flashlights Survive EMP?

To be fair, I'd like to see a show of hands - who here doesn't have at least one P60 host and P60 lamp? Unregulated Mag hotwire?

I've got failback plans, consisting of a Surefire E2, 6P, ROP, pROP (Polymer ROP, AKA the World's Cheapest ROP Build), Brinkmann Maxfire (either stock lamps, or SF P60), Everready Dolphin Mk5, and a Surefire 8x in the mail. Plus, if fluorescent flashlights still work after EMP damage, I've got area lighting.

SLA bricks should provide lots of long-running oomph for area lights until Florida Pillage & Loot can get their transformers fixed. That reminds me, I need to replace the SLA chargers before hurricane season gets into swing...

Confederate

Enlightened
I'm still a bit confused on whether batteries in the lights make a difference as to whether they'd survive an EMP. I'm seeing more articles on protecting cars and I'm surprised no one's gone into manufacturing inexpensive Faraday cages. I'm still reading sites where people say, hey, just get an old broken microwave! Right. That's great practical advice.

I did buy about twenty of those pouches from DX and I've stuck in Fenix P3D and even an L2D, which I took apart. I don't want to go overboard, but EMP is something the military is taking seriously.

sawlight

Enlightened
On a "large scale" EMP scenario, who really cares if the light works or not? Where are you going to find usable batteries? Large scale I am thinking 100 mile radius or more. You're car wont run, three days or better on a Bike, no rechargables.
I would think you are in "shake light" and light stick teritory now.

To answer youre question, I have no doubt that my Novatac would be useless, as well as any light with an I/C chip of any sort.
But at that point, I think there will be a lot of other things to worry about, a flashlight would be helpfull, but other priorites will demand youre time.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still a bit confused on whether batteries in the lights make a difference as to whether they'd survive an EMP. I'm seeing more articles on protecting cars and I'm surprised no one's gone into manufacturing inexpensive Faraday cages. I'm still reading sites where people say, hey, just get an old broken microwave! Right. That's great practical advice.

I did buy about twenty of those pouches from DX and I've stuck in Fenix P3D and even an L2D, which I took apart. I don't want to go overboard, but EMP is something the military is taking seriously.

I remember a portion of the consensus of the previous thread being that a metal flashlight body should make a decent Faraday cage.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a "large scale" EMP scenario, who really cares if the light works or not? Where are you going to find usable batteries? Large scale I am thinking 100 mile radius or more. You're car wont run, three days or better on a Bike, no rechargables.

To answer youre question, I have no doubt that my Novatac would be useless, as well as any light with an I/C chip of any sort.
But at that point, I think there will be a lot of other things to worry about, a flashlight would be helpfull, but other priorites will demand youre time.

To be fair, I've got like four charged sets of Eneloops and ... at least a half-dozen fresh 123a primaries. You mean there's people here that don't stockpile batteries when you can buy in bulk and save?

There are people who own big-bore Surefires (M4, M6) that go through a half-dozen batteries in 20 minutes who don't stockpile batteries?

News to me.

But yes, that is when the battery-vampires and runtime kings come out to play. FWIW, I do expect Inova X5s to survive. You'd have to have enough voltage induced inside the shielded thing to arc across the switch... And possibly across the entire battery compartment.

I'm not putting money on that happening.

N/Apower

Enlightened
I have spent my spare "EMP backup plan money" on more XM193 and M855. I think it is better spent that way :cool:

Metatron

Banned
lads, given the collection of serious weapons on this site, i cant help but think that u guys r fair dinkum living in fear. add an emp attack to the mix and i gotta tell u that u guys make me proud given ur concerns as to weather ur flashys would survive. ur true flashaholics in my books!:twothumbs

HKJ

Flashaholic

A flashlight can be a Faraday cage. But your have to be carefull with lights that have a twist interface, the two parts of the interface might not be connected, and then your have have an antenne, instead of a Faraday cage.

Xak

Enlightened
Would my (steel, I think) gun safe make a good faraday cage? If I kept some lights in there (along with battery powered rifle optics) would they be safe from an EMP attack?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Would my (steel, I think) gun safe make a good faraday cage? If I kept some lights in there (along with battery powered rifle optics) would they be safe from an EMP attack?

Your might need to do something around the rim of the door, to get better electric connection, to make it a good faraday cage.

But a flashligt on a metal shelf inside the gun safe would probably survive anyway.

One way to test:
Take a radio, find a strong local station. Put the radio inside the safe an close it. If the radio still plays, it is not a good faraday cage!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

To be fair, I've got like four charged sets of Eneloops and ... at least a half-dozen fresh 123a primaries. You mean there's people here that don't stockpile batteries when you can buy in bulk and save?

There are people who own big-bore Surefires (M4, M6) that go through a half-dozen batteries in 20 minutes who don't stockpile batteries?

News to me.

But yes, that is when the battery-vampires and runtime kings come out to play. FWIW, I do expect Inova X5s to survive. You'd have to have enough voltage induced inside the shielded thing to arc across the switch... And possibly across the entire battery compartment.

I'm not putting money on that happening.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I live about 3/4 of a mile from Stratcom HQ (Bellevue Ne) I'd say my chances of working a light in case of missle attack aren't great. But I'm betting at least a couple of my lights will work if needed, if I'm alive to use them.

Confederate

Enlightened
Yeah, I've only got about 80 batteries with ten-year shelf lives, and food storage, and, well, other things. I like lights that can put out only a piddling amount of light and do it for a long time. All I need most of the time is just enough light to read by.

If I understand correctly, it's a safer bet if the batteries aren't in your light at the time of the EMP.

Moka

Enlightened
Your might need to do something around the rim of the door, to get better electric connection, to make it a good faraday cage.

But a flashligt on a metal shelf inside the gun safe would probably survive anyway.

One way to test:
Take a radio, find a strong local station. Put the radio inside the safe an close it. If the radio still plays, it is not a good faraday cage!

Store your lights in the microwave... :tinfoil: