Nitecore Gold Dragon plus?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to frequent this board a lot more, but over the past few months haven't had the chance to really read that much. That being the case, I do not know what happened to and how 4sevens was treated in July...
Hey everyone... Just discovered this thread. :lolsign:
Frankly I don't recall what happened in July. We're busy taking care of
business and trying to do things right - we have a very short memory. I personally
don't recall. No need to remind me. Theres no time for us to keep a record of grudges.
Let bygones be what they are. I guess if I or anyone is interested we can
always search post histories :p

Anyway, yes the OGDP's are coming! Osram Golden Dragon Plus'.
Honestly, they are not any brighter than the Cree Q5's, but it's a direct result
of trying to please the folks who dislike the ring around the Cree beam.
Part of innovating is trying new things right? For those who are looking for
a big step in output, well this is not your cup of tea. But if you want a
smoother transition from spot to flood, the GDP is a big improvement.
Also, it's CRI rating is a step about the Cree. 80 instead of the Cree's 75.
Anyway, I'll be posting an announcement in CPFMP dealers section soon :)

superflytnt

Enlightened
Anyway, yes the OGDP's are coming! Osram Golden Dragon Plus'.
Honestly, they are not any brighter than the Cree Q5's, but it's a direct result
of trying to please the folks who dislike the ring around the Cree beam.
Part of innovating is trying new things right? For those who are looking for
a big step in output, well this is not your cup of tea. But if you want a
smoother transition from spot to flood, the GDP is a big improvement.
Also, it's CRI rating is a step about the Cree. 80 instead of the Cree's 75.
Anyway, I'll be posting an announcement in CPFMP dealers section soon :)

Just curious as to why the light wasn't designed around this emitter in the first place? It was used in McGizmo's Lunasol 20 so I'm sure that you were aware of it. If it's superior I'm wondering why you decided to go with the Cree?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious as to why the light wasn't designed around this emitter in the first place? It was used in McGizmo's Lunasol 20 so I'm sure that you were aware of it. If it's superior I'm wondering why you decided to go with the Cree?
At that time it was just the Golden Dragon. The Plus version kicked up the output a notch to be on par with the Q5's :)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay beamshots are posted on cpfm....

Very interesting:

GDP D10

355775579_dZmEh-S.jpg

Cree Q5 D10

355775518_h4Z6e-S.jpg

I think the Cree rings are exaggerated on the D10 Q5 shot, because I have to place my D10 about 1 - 1.5 feet to the wall get the beam to look like that. When I point my D10 about 5-7 feet away, the beam looks more like the GDP+.

However, this begs the question, how does the GDP+ beam look like 6-7 feet away?

The GDP+ LED looks to be very impressive relative to its small size. Not enough difference for me to make a jump out of my Q5 to the GDP+ now, but maybe a couple generations later it will be worthwhile to consider.

Thanks to 4sevens for posting the beamshots.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not distrusting you but it sounds too good to be true. Novatac is 120 for 30 minutes, but this can do 130 for 110 minutes?

superflytnt

Enlightened
Hmmm, it's hard to tell if the Osram has a brighter hotspot since they're both a bit overexposed but the spill on the Osram looks dimmer. Do we give up spill to kill the rings? Looks pretty smooth tho, can't wait for some reviews now.............

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not distrusting you but it sounds too good to be true. Novatac is 120 for 30 minutes, but this can do 130 for 110 minutes?
You can look at Selfbuilt's runtimes and review for concrete data, but I think it's been mentioned several times that NiteCore is using OTF ratings instead of emitter ratings.

I'm not sure if it's 130 for 110 minutes, I thought it was around 80-90 minutes.

Ok double checked, it's 50 minutes for nimhs on the AAs, not sure about the CR123s since I don't have the EX10 or use that battery type.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both runtime are manufacture's data (ex10), but even if it's 90 minutes it's still three times more efficient. I'll go dig up reviews and see what I can find.

litetube

Enlightened
4-7's response in this thread shows he has a true understanding of customer service and implements it in every aspect of his business .

Customers will always make demands of those they are giving their hard earned money to and have a "right" to do so.

4-7's replies to all "inquiries" as a true gentleman who definitley respects his customer base and values them for who they are.:twothumbs

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm looking at it right now. I think I see why, novatac automatically steps down to squeeze more power for tail end, so it appears to have less "runtime" for high level. Efficiency wise ex10 is a bit higher at high output presumbly due to more efficient emitter, but lower level is similar.

Looks very very tempting, if only the EX10 had no nitecore name and website...

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks seemed a bit miffed that they hadn't even rec'd their SPD's in the mail yet and here is a new version that everyone's just going to have to have. :D

I don't feel I should be miffed because I prefer new developments in technology be implemented ASAP rather than later. In fact, I complain and get miffed if progress is too slow. I'm used to getting outdated equipment just from buying new computers all the time and I accept it. With this outlook, I'm content and happy with whatever I get.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very very tempting, if only the EX10 had no nitecore name and website...

I should be receiving my EX10 soon, does anyone know of a way to remove the white printing?

I remember Henry(HDS) had mentioned something long ago but don't remember what the procedure was..