FM-11 + Throwmaster reflector + P7 DSXOJ = One Badass Light!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I recieved a DSXOJ from Photonfanatic and decided to mod one of my favorite lights, a FM-11 by fivemega, right now it's being direct driven by a 3.7 6600mah battery pack I made using 2 AW "C" cells soldered in parallel, I may order later a Triflupic to have different modes but right now I am a very happy camper as it is.

I used AS ceramique around the H22A heatsink to transfer heat to the body of the light, and also on the threads of the bezel to transfer heat to the huge reflector, I've used it for 5 minutes and no overheating problems.

Pics!

fm11002eu1.jpg

Business end!

fm11005ve4.jpg

fm11005og9.jpg

Beamshots! P7 on the left. That whimpy light on the right is a Jetbeam Jet-II modded with a Cree R2 WC on highest level and tightest spot :devil:

fm11008vi7.jpg

Lower exposure,

fm11010uo4.jpg

Thanks for watching!

AlexGT

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! The Throwmaster reflector seems like it eliminates all of that nasty donut effect of the P7 in a standard reflector, and it looks like you didn't sputter it!~ I bet this helps the throw a ton and improves the hot spot beautifully!

Nice Combo!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now it's being direct driven by a 3.7 6600mah battery pack I made using 2 AW "C" cells soldered in parallel

That's particularly interesting to me as I'm planning to direct drive a DSXOJ with a 26700 Emoli. With your two C Li-Co's paralleled, I'm wondering if the voltage sag reasonably mimcs that of a single big IMR.

Can you tell us the current draw on this light?

Nice mod! :thumbsup:

Fitsbain

Newly Enlightened
I think I read somewhere that a DSWOI on an IMR18650 would be in the neighborhood of 5.5 amps.

Now the J bin will reduce that a bit, but I would still watch the current with a non sagging IMR.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a multimeter to test the current draw but I am almost sure that it's over 3 amps because I had a P7 "C" with 2 regulated SOB 1500ma in parallel and this one is noticeably brighter.

I can measure voltage drop with my battery charger, and it's not much with the 2 "C" in parallel, from 4.2v drops to 4.08v and then drops very slowly from there.

Outdoor beamshots tonight!

AlexGT

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fence behind the tree is 85 yards away (255 feet) according to google maps, I focused it for no hole in the beam

FM11 + Throwmaster + DSXOJ Direct drive 2 AW C cells in parallel
fm11bw2.jpg

Jet II IBS R2 WC tightest focus max brightness
jetiiibspv4.jpg

1 x C Mag aspheric with R2 WC driven by a flupic Ver 2.2 on Max
magasphericjn0.jpg

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, guys.

That certainly adds weight to my suspicion that I'll either have to add a resistor (where I don't know if getting the right one for this application could be a tremendous pain), or better yet, pair the DSXOJ with an IMR 18650, and leave out the (Mag) tailspring resistance fix. With any luck, it won't be much more than 4 - 4.5A.

Duty cycles will be short anyway, as this will be more of a fun "wow" light, and occasionally used for spotting Skynet warbots. :tinfoil:

Great beamshot comparisons, Alex. That Throwmaster not only looks outstanding with an overdriven P7, but totally kills the modded Jet-II!