Upgrades for 2D maglite with Everled?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

With an EverLED bulb and texture applied to the reflector, can the mods ever get the beam to Surefire quality? Or is the shape of the reflector too wrong to allow a flawless beam?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a really nice blue tinted white Everled in a Mag 3D with textured reflector and UCL. The beam will never be flawless in this setup. It is more due to the everled being a side-emitter than the shape of the reflector. The side emitter guarantees a bright halo ring, pretty much, from my experience with it. Parabolic reflectors such as Mag's are optimized to catch photons from a single point of light, which the Everled isn't (neither is the stock bulb).

This combo equals the light output and throw of the stock bulb on brand new batteries, but with the Everled benefits of color, constant brightness and tremendous 24+ hour runtime. It's my go-to when I need a long burner for outdoors.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greg_in_canada said:
BatteryCharger,

Are you happy with the beam from the Mags with
EverLED stock? Or did you upgrade the reflector or
lens?

Thanks - Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ok with the beam, although it certainly has it's flaws. I'm going to try sputtering the reflector here in a few days...

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here are the tips on sputtering I was supposed to post yesterday, along with a couple of pictures.

Use Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray. Don't shake the can before using because you don't want a smooth spray, you want droplets of paint to land on the reflector.

Sputtering is much easier to do when the can is nearly empty than when it's full, but with a little practice you can get the effect you want. Don't push the spray button down very far, and it helps to pull the button backward as you press (it allows better control).

Do all spraying outdoors for the sake of your health. Practice spraying in the air until you can make tiny droplets come from the can without any smooth spray. You should master this very quickly. With a full can you'll only be able to get the droplets to spray about a foot in distance. With a near empty can they'll go much farther.

It should take at least six coats to properly sputter a reflector, and each coat should be very light. Allow fifteen minutes drying time between coats. It's more economical to sputter several reflectors at a time because you have to clear the nozzle of the spray can between each coat and this wastes a lot of the acrylic.

The first picture shows what the first coat of spray should look like. I sprayed a piece of glass to make it easier to see:
glass1.jpg

Cover your hand with a plastic bag or something similar and grasp the rear of the reflector, facing the front toward yourself. Hold the spray can the appropriate distance from the reflector and apply the first coat, rotating the reflector to insure even coverage. Spray for a fraction of a second at a time, look at the reflector, and spray more if you obviously missed some spots, but don't overdo it. Set the reflector down to dry and clean the nozzle by inverting the can and spraying until nothing but air comes out.
reflector.jpg

Here's a beamshot of a Mag with a sputtered reflector. It's the first beamshot I've ever taken and I clearly haven't gotten the technique down. In reality, the beam is white and even all the way across and the outer part is much closer to the hotspot in brightness. The beam resembles a surefire incan. The Mag-Num Star bulb is used here, for both its brightness and lack of artifacts.
magbeam.jpg

After you've finished sputtering, allow the reflector to dry at least overnight before putting it in the light. I allow mine to dry for two weeks.

I'll be happy to answer any questions and listen to any suggestions for improving this technique.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nikon, thanks for sharing... Sure looks easy enough to do! Just wondering, would heat from the bulb or a Led be hot enough to melt off any of the acrylic on the reflector?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just a guess, but I think any bulb hot enough to affect the acrylic would also melt the reflector.

My initial concern was that the fumes coming from the fresh acrylic might be flammable but so far I've not run into any problems.

14C

Enlightened
Nikon, that beamshot is a good shot. Thanks for the technique pointers. I have six reflectors on order from darkzero and he is busy. I might try this myself because of your pointers.

I have seeen the effects from a stipled/OP/sputtered reflectors on a stock Mag bulb, and EverLED, a Diamnond Replacement and several Luxeions and I like it. For the majority of emitters it cleans up artifacts very nicely with minumal effect on throw.

Nice pointers and photo, thanks for sharing.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg

Thanks for pointing out the omission...I edited the post with that information. Spray for a fraction of a second at a time, look at the reflector, and spray more if you obviously missed some spots, but don't overdo it.