Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdf

Newly Enlightened
Re: Milkyspit\'s MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Hi, Scott.
I should be on the list for MCs; I would like to add a request for one MTester, too, please.
Thanks!

Russ

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Russ, you got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jbfla

Newly Enlightened

Please add me to the list for one tester...already on the MC II list.
Thanks
JB

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

jbfla, you're now listed for 1 MC2 and 1 MT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Scott - please just 3 x MC2, 0 x MT. (We don't test no stinkin batteries.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will just put fresh cells in for a very long running light.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Hallis, it might still use the plastic pipe bomb housing... and even if not, bet I could make yours from one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The pipe-bomb tube just looks like a rough and tough emergency piece to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scott,

Have you given any thought to the problems of over discharge etc. as posted in the A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6 thread? It seems that the explosions happen with 2 cell set ups but not yet reported with one cell. Is it possible to use the MC2 with only one cell for added safety?

Sorry for the worrisome question but this thread kinda shook me up. I've got a lot of CR123 lights all over the house and with my GF too.

TIA,
-LT

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Richard, 1 MT added. :thumbsup:

Lunal_Tic, once you pointed out that thread, I started reading the WHOLE THING (which I can honestly say takes a long time!) :eek:oo: and had already written a very long reply to post over there, but in the end I didn't post it... just felt like it was overly long plus didn't focus on that specific issue, but rather battery risk in general and what Milkyspit does to minimize it... to that end, it also seemed too egotistical. :( If you happen to want some interesting reading from a self-professed idiot, though, PM me and I'll send you the text I was going to post.

Okay, that doesn't answer any of your questions, so let me focus a little more on the MC2 and potential for risk...

For starters, I encourage everybody to learn how to measure FLASH AMPS on their 123 cells. That's how I measured the cells in a 123 brand comparison I had posted a couple years ago (yikes! that long?)... take a look over here for an explanation... also note that at first I had made up my own name for the measurement... MUC (maximum unloaded current)... it's actually the same thing as flash amps.

Here's a quote from that thread...

My single big insight on that day was that 123 cells behave a little differently from the alkalines we all know and love; namely, an alkaline cell's voltage will steadily decrease during its lifetime, while even a heavily depleted 123 might still deliver 2.8-3.0V. So while alkalines can be checked quite nicely by examining their voltage with a DMM, 123s cannot.

What does happen to a 123 is that its maximum current flow capability steadily decreases as it runs down, so a test of momentary unloaded current flow (let's call that MUC throughout the remainder of this article) using a DMM yields what appears to be very nice information about the condition of any given 123. Before getting to specifics in my test, note that this measurement can be taken using a DMM set to a high current range, by touching the probes to the terminals on the cell and holding *just* until the peak current reading appears. You'll see the current reading jump upward quickly, peak at some point, then gradually begin dropping. All this takes a fraction of a second, after which REMOVE THE PROBES! Longer than that could damage the 123 cell.

The above quote is actually an explanation of how to measure flash amps. I would add to the above that you should use the same DMM (digital multimeter) when testing all your cells so the readings are more consistent from battery to battery... different DMMs will give you different reading for a number of reasons, so if you've got more than one, make one your designated flash amps tester then always use that one for the measurements.

Anyway, I ALWAYS measure flash amps of the partially used cells that I pull from my lights, then use a Sharpie permanent black magic marker to mark the reading directly on the side of the cell. I store them all upright in a Tupperware container with no lid (so it's more like a tray), with non-conductive spacers (foam, paper, plastic...) filling the empty space so there's no possibility of the cells falling over and perhaps shorting against one another. I keep the cells organized in order of their flash amps readings. Then, when I want to feed the MC2, I select a pair of cells with the same flash amps readings... plus I RETEST the cells just before popping them into the light, because sometimes the readings will have changed while the cells sit in storage. I believe strongly in this, and it's applicable to new cells and other 123 cell lights: NEVER PUT CELLS HAVING SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT FLASH AMPS READINGS INTO THE SAME LIGHT!

The original Milky Candle wasn't airtight and I doubt the MC2 will be, either, so in a way it's got its own built-in pressure relief valve. :)

Some more thoughts on partially depleted 123 cells... since most of the energy has already been spent, the potential for reverse charging a cell is less of a risk... in layman's terms, the stronger cell simply won't have the strength to reverse charge the weaker one enough to cause things like overheating and explosions. Also, the MC2 only pulls a very small amount of current from the cells... less than 30mA... which further reduces the risk.

Can the MC2 run with a single 123 cell? Yes, but not in regulation. I have built a prototype I call "MCshorty" which runs in regulation using a single 123 cell, but it demands more current from the battery... maybe something in the 40-60mA range... so it won't flatten the 123 cells as thoroughly as the MC2 would.

Bottom line here is that yes, there's a risk to using 123 cells in the MC2, although my guess is it's less of a risk than in an ordinary 2x123 flashlight. You can reduce the risk further by testing flash amps on your cells and always pairing cells with similar readings. You can never 100% eliminate the risk inherent in a 123 cell, even if it's sitting all alone on a shelf, not even being used. On a more philosophical thought, there are all sorts of things in our lives in which risk is inherent, and we choose to accept that risk (though it's DEFINITELY a decision each person needs to make for himself): slipping in the tub; having a flight accidentally crash or be sabotaged by terrorists; natural gas line exploding; gasoline stored in cans exploding; the list goes on and on. 123 cells are just one more thing on the list, although personally I wouldn't worry too much about the MC2 as compared to other lights.

As far as helpful threads, there's the one I linked above, which is called...

(EDITED 6/17/2006 to fix links that had been broken by the CPF software upgrade.)

My 123 Test! Tekcell vs. Surefire

Then there's one other thread which might offer some supplemental info, although it doesn't necessarily address explosion risk...

What IS that smell from 123 cells?

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me. Now about that MCshorty . . .would a red LED fix the regulation problem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif Actually I think I requested something like that before. I'm still looking to make an exit marker.

BTW, I still remember your MUC thread. I read it when it was first up.

-LT

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

LT, yes, a red LED (or for that matter, other colors, too, such as yellow, orange, and maybe even green) would most likely allow the MC2 to run in regulation with 1x123. It could still run on 2x123 as well, and would adjust current flow demands downward in the 2x123 configuration, so 2x123 would remain the beat way to squeeze the last drops from the lemons, so to speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

milkyspit, please put me down for a MC2 (preferably with a blue or RGB LED if possible for use mainly as a nightlight) & a Milky Tester too.

(Sorry I tried to run thru' the earlier thread to see if I had requested so already but it only made me dizzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlight, I didn't find you on the list, but now you're in for 1 MC2 and 1 MT. No promises on the alternate /led colors... but I'll see what I can do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

milkyspit,

I'm on the list for an MC2, but I'm not sure if I am for the MT. If not, please add 1 for me!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Codeman, you're listed for 1 MC2 and 1 MT. All set! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Flashlight, I didn't find you on the list, but now you're in for 1 MC2 and 1 MT. No promises on the alternate /led colors... but I'll see what I can do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks & sorry for the bother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

MY

Enlightened

Please change my request for 2 (two) of those milky candle jobs.

Regards.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

MY, according to my info, you had already requested 2 MC2 on 2/18/2005... which means it was in the prior thread. No worries! You're still there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pimpmylite

Newly Enlightened

hi milkyspit
i would like to have 1 MC2 please thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.