Modding & other stuff I'm willing to do for free

greenLED

Flashaholic
Not sure if this is going to open a can of worms or what, but I'll give it a try.

I know there's people out there who want to mod or build lights but have limited tools, knowledge, ability, and/or re$ource$ that prevent them from completing their projects.

Thus, I kindly request that if you are willing to help others with their mods (machining work, electronics, finding parts, forwarding parts, soldering, replacing LED's, etc.) or other services, at no charge, post the details and conditions here.

If you are a person in search of a service, please PM the person offering the service directly, so we don't clutter the thread with details of the work involved.

What follows is a list of people have kindly agree to do for you at no charge. Please click on the link for details (conditions, disclaimers, special instructions, etc.):

Light-related modding services:

greenLED: (not actively modding, but click here for details)

Goldserve: (click here for details)
I can provide some soldering services to people around Toronto for now.
Christoph: (click here for details)
I build mods and can replace drivers and led's and can make small heatsinks.
eng50: (click here for details)
I am willing to do the Fenix L1P two stage mod for anyone that wants it.
Warhoggie: (click here for details)
I can do a pretty good job soldering with Kiu's socket kits or frost a bulb or two.
grnamin: (click here, and here for details)
Surefire U2 & Surefire KL4 Lux swaps and Gen4 SF KL1 mod - optic to reflector/LED swap mod; you supply parts
Changchung: (click here for details)
I live in venezuela, have experience in electronic and some Mods...
Mosport: (click here for details)
soldering work, need mod parts or supplies, borrow a handtool...
dta116: (click here for details)
Will solder anything needed if return shipping is included with package. If you need more just ask... (IE; board drilling, trace repair) ... As my Modding proficency increases I will offer more.
rain_man_indi: (click here for details)
Willing to offer my services as a machinist
65535: (click here for details)
help with soldering projects
repair SureFire clicky tailcaps
precisionworks: (click here for details)
lathe, milling, grinding for one-off mods
crackerkorean: (click here for details)
soldering, basic electronics, EE knowledge in Atlanta Metro Area
Techno Cowboy: (click here for details)
flashlight mods when no machining is needed
Zelda: (click here for details)
Soldering, making simple parts, drivers & batteries
Erasmus: (click here for details)
Swapping LEDs and other mods. Buying advise (Europe). Making heatsinks.
bstrickler: (click here for details)
I'm able to do simple heatsinks

Non-light related services:

Donovan: (click here for details)
I am willing to offer free advice (in my spare time) on preventing (the key!) and removing virus/trojan/spyware/malware on your pc.
trivergata: (click here for details)
willing to help anyone who needs AutoCAD help. I also would be willing to do production drawings for anyone who has an idea but can't draw
slvoid: (click here for details)
ME with access to autocad and autodesk inventor for 3d solid modeling and design
carrot: (click here for details)
I can offer some rudimentary Linux help.
Nima: (click here for details)
Help with Debian Linux, Linux in server applications, and web development.
Pradeep1: (click here for details)
troubleshoot software and hardware computer problems
sysadmn: (click here for details)
computer help in several flavors (systems administration, statistics consulting, web research) and Dumb looks
aljsk8: (click here for details)
2D Autocad - will draw schematics for flashlight builds etc
crackerkorean: (click here for details)
2D AutoCAD help in Atlanta Metro Area
guiri: (click here for details)
Multi-lingual assistance, web design
Tekno Cowboy: (click here for details)
LINUX work, computer builds and advise; basic machining and reflow solder
Zelda: (click here for details)
Windows-based client/server, hardware
Captain Spaulding: (click here for details)
Mac OS X Software and hardware certified and will absolutely help anyone with any needs they may have. Perfectly willing to troubleshoot software issues online through email, IM, or even phone. I would consider hardware help after working out the logistics of shipping as well.
chanjyj: (click here for details)
Photographic advise, flash troubleshooting, digital imaging software

mvyrmnd: (click here for details)
Australian ACMT Qualified Mac / MCSE Qualified Windows tech

shao.fu.tzer: (click here for details)
Knife throwing advice
/steve/: (click here for details)
reading schematics, soldering and other electronics and electric stuff

last edit, post #106

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modding stuff I'm willing to do for free

That's a really nice gesture. I can provide some soldering services to people around Toronto for now. The canadian postal system is too exp to send stuff to canada to do. I'm sure someone in the US can help you out.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

So... would you be comfortable upgrading the LED on a CMG Infinity Ultra? I'd try one, but I'm afraid I'd kill the crimp/contact area.

And how much benefit do you think there is from polishing the reflector on the Ultra?

taiji

Enlightened

Very cool , GreenLED.
Thank you for your generosity.

greenLED

Flashaholic

cratz2, just replied to your question via PM.

Since this thread is a work in progress, I think that if you are a person in searching for a service, please PM the person offering the service directly, so we don't clutter the thread with details of the work involved. Sort of what they do with the Modder's Yellow pages, I'd like this to be a directory of services more than a discussion of work to be done.

:thanks:

M.TEX

Enlightened

HI

Thank you Mobile ! that is very nice indeed !
I hope more people show up in this tread .
Thanks,

greenLED

Flashaholic

I'm glad people think this is a good idea. I hope others also consider doing stuff for free, help keep the hobby fun.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

:clap: Really nice of you GreenLED. :thumbsup:

I was wondering if anybody can offer a similar service to open up my Arc LS First Run (two piece head). I want to swap the Lux1. :)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good job greenLED. I wish I had skills worthy of offering but I'm still practicing and the results are sometimes scary. :D

Thanks for offering this.
-LT

greenLED

Flashaholic

Sinjz said:
I was wondering if anybody can offer a similar service to open up my Arc LS First Run (two piece head). I want to swap the Lux1.

I appreciate your words, guys.

I would like to emphasize that I am not an expert modder by any means. I'm familiar with a few simple setups (translation: I've killed enough of them to "sort of know" what to watch out for :)), but I'll defer anything more complex to the real modders. For example, I wouldn't know where to start with an ArcLS First Run, and I'd go :shrug: if someone asked me to build a circuit for them.

LunalTic said:
I wish I had skills worthy of offering but I'm still practicing and the results are sometimes scary.

And what made you think I know what I'm doing? ;) :nana: Please, don't think I'm in the same league as Chop, CY, LitFuse, and many others. I'm still learning, and sometimes things don't go as planned. If you're comfortable with taking that risk and letting me work on your lights, that's OK. I try my very best not to make mistakes (but it can happen). I guess that's a risk with all mods, but I just want everyone to be aware of my abilities when contacting me.

I'm still hoping that more experienced people are willing to offer their help here. :poke:Anything from swapping a LED, to tweaking circuits, to machining is fair game for this thread. Hopefully as this thread gets more exposure, it might raise more interest.

Cheers, guys!

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

GreenLED,
You rock!
I have a new Arc AAA-P that I don't like due to the very blue tint. When I ordered it I thought it was supposed to have a good LED in it, but it is not my definition of "good".
Can you suggest anything short of a full blown Lux mod? Are you aware of any emitters that you could install that would remedy the tint?
If so I'd like to get one and have you work your magic on the reflector and swap.
But, I would not be comfortable taking you up on the free offer. The least I could do is to send some gifts your way if you won't accept payment.
Thanks for the karma!

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will offer my services as well.I build mods and can replace drivers and led's and can make small heatsinks.And like Greenled said I am not a pro but I am compentent and through.I will treat your stuff like it's yours.

:grin2:

greenLED

Flashaholic

:twothumbs, Christoph!! That's the spirit! :twothumbs

eng50

Newly Enlightened

I hope this is not going to cause problems here, as others are charging money to do this mod, and if it does I will immediately withdraw my offer.

That being said, I am willing to do the Fenix L1P two stage mod for anyone that wants it. The only things I request are:

-The light is sent to me in packaging that will be reused to return to you
-Return postage equaling what it cost you to mail it to me is included
-an additional $ .50 or your resistor of choice is included (unless specified I will use the 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistor)

I know I am new to this board, but I have done my own and am very meticulous with electronics. Turn around time should only be a day or two at the most as I work 24 hr shifts at the firehouse.

The prefered way to contact me is email: NeverForget911 at comcast.net
Looking forward to helping anyway I can!

Bill

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic

Welcome to CPF, and thank you for offering your services, eng50!
I just noticed this thread's been made a sticky!!
:thanks: mods and whoever made the recommendation :thanks:

Nell

Enlightened

You guys are so generous you restore my faith in people sometimes. This is such a nice, kind gesture.
I would like to thank you in advance.