AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

CarbonArc

Newly Enlightened
Well I figured someone needed to start a thread on this light. a bunch of us here (including myself have purchased this beast) and are trying to get them up and running. Any photos of progress or anything related to AN/VSS-1(V)2 would be great for all of us im sure. So POST away.:wave:

Does anyone have any tech drawings or diagrams for this searchlight? any pics of connectors on remote boxes and the light? what kind of connectors/ cables would i need to make to get one of these things running? any pics or advice or any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

ShortArc

Enlightened
Re: AN/VSS-1(V)2 Searchlight

Connectors. The connector mating the control box is a MS3106F22-23S (amphenol). Places like Powell Electronics and Newark One carry it.
The connector "configuration" for the cable coming form the light is: (Wall Mount) MS3100E32-15S BUT is will not fit the plug as the Bessel alignment slots do not match and the thread diameter of the cable is larger (so it can not be screwed together. One solution is cutting the sleeve of the wall mount connector, which worked fine for me. Let me know if you find the proper plug.

Willem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

The lights from Peak Beam systems are supposed to come with the single cable which connects the searchlight to the tank's turret. It carries both the 2 main power and 6 control leads. The connector on the turret connected to the turret slip ring assembly which I presume rotates with the turret. The control box connected to the stationary, hull-mounted portion of the slip ring assembly. I saw a pic of one and there are a huge number of electrical connections between the hull and the rotating turret. I think the turrets could rotate continuously without winding-up anything.

The crate was broken-open on mine and appeared to have been dropped/rolled over. The control box and cable were missing. :( At that point, I didn't understand the "main" cable was included! It was only after calls to Roadway Express and then Peak Beam that I got it figured out. Peak has already sent a replacement cable and control box, and the UPS tracking# says I should receive it next wed. :bow: and :thumbsup: Peak Beam Systems and Robert!!!

Getting it running should be straight forward. Simply cut the turret connector on the cable and break out the 2 main power and 6 control leads. Robert faxed me the schematic and pinouts for the searchlight end and the control box end. Thank you ShortArc for the connector info. :bow: (I had almost "built" the Amphenol P/N for the light's mating connector when I was told it was supposed to be included. :green: )

I've just started designing a motorized alt/azmuth mount for it, which hopefully will be built by the time my genset arrives in another 4 weeks. (If I wasn't lied to.)

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

Once you sink your teeth into is these lights are not too difficult to fire up.
I finally powered mine after building a new cable (did not want to cut up the supplied main cable) and modifying a rectifier for power. I did have a minor issue with turning off the light via the control panel….
All in all this light is a performance monster…no regrets I can assure you (beside the weight)…
Larry please keep me posted on progress with the mount and send some pics !!!

Willem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Willem,

Your "issue" with turning it off via the control panel concerns me! If you break main power to the light per Robert's schematic, does the cooling fan continue to run on its timer via control panel power?

Congradulations on being the first of us to get one up and running!!!!!!

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

Larry,

Indeed I have to figure out what is going on with the shut off.

I am not too concerned about the cooling of the light as it appears to be designed for "emergency powerdown" but it certainly would induce less thermal stress if the fan kept running after the light is turned off (versus simply pulling the plug) . Will keep you posted.

If I ever figure out how to paste some pics into my response, I will do so.

Willem.

ShortArc

Enlightened

Here are a few pics of cable and connectors:

VSS1ControlConnector.jpg

VSS1MainConnector.jpg

VSS1Cable.jpg

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Nice Pics! :thumbsup:

Yesterday, I removed the shockmount assembly which attaches the searchlight to the tank. My bathroom scale says 35+#. The manual says the complete light weighs 230#, so I guess it's under 200# now. :D I pulled the cowling/bezel for a look see. Next time I will have some denatured alcohol and appropriate soft cloth to give the window and reflector a good cleaning.

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

Tom,
Overdrive kicks the current draw up from approx 100 amps to 140 amps and increases the output substantially. The light can only remain in overdrive for a timed period.
Willem.

ShortArc

Enlightened

Larry,

I am going to remove the shock mount assembly tonight! My back thanks you!

In the next several days I will try and get the light out of the barn and take some beam shots.
Willem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Mine arrived with the original May 1977 manual that JumpMaster posted a link to above. The manual has excellent photos with nomenclatures and drawings for how the infrared/visable and wide/narrow works. Some specs in a nutshell:

Type of light................Visable or infrared.
Type of lamp................Xenon, short arc.
Output candlepower:
Normal......................100 million.
Overdrive..................150 million.
Beamwidth
Narrrow.....................0.5deg to 0.75deg.
Wide.........................7.0deg.
Input power requirements:
Voltage......................28 volts dc.
Current:
Nominal....................100 amperes
Overdrive.................140 amperes

Some text from the "Basic Principles" section:

"Three voltages are applied to the xenon lamp to produce the three sequences: 40-kilovolt (kv) radio frequency (rf) pulses, 55 volts dc, and 28 volts dc from the power source. The 40-kv rf pulses cause the initial ionization of the xenon gas and start of lamp conductance. The 55 volts dc increases the temperature of the xenon gas and increases the level of conduction so that 28 volts dc from the power source can maintain lamp conductance for continual illumination. After 3 seconds, the components and assemblies used for the initial ignition of the xenon lamp are shut off. The sequences will automatically be repeated if the xenon lamp is not lighted within the initial 3 seconds."

The searchlight housing is two aluminum castings. I thought it was wrought/welded when I first looked at it. It is forced-air cooled and has some kind of heat exchanger that keeps the lamp cooling air isolated from the environment. The "cowling" (bezel) which mounts the window is gasketed and removes with 4 latches for routine maintenance such as cleaning the reflector and window.

Hell of a "flashlight" for $600!!!!

Larry

Last edited:

ShortArc

Enlightened

Ahh....$600...you have just started! Hell of a deal no matter how much invest before everything is done!

A few more pics...sorry the quality is not that great.

VSS1Front.jpg

VSS1FrontOpen.jpg

VSS1LimitSwitch.jpg

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Excellent pics! I see your refractor lens also seems to have "6deg" molded into it.

My light is an AN/VSS-1(V)1 which has a "black IR filter, which is used with IR viewing devices. The black filter emits a glow which may be visable out to 100 meters....The AN/VSS-1(V)2 uses a pink IR filter, which can be used with IR viewing and image intensifying devices. The pink filter emits a glow which may be visable from 800 to 1000 meters." (From the manual.) IR "viewing devices" were used in the Korean War. Image intensifiers/"starlight scopes" didn't come along until the Vietnam War. I recall hearing of them referred to as "pink lights."

Here's one mounted on the proper PSU:
site1024.jpg

And the "warning label":
site1026.jpg

Larry

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Now we're talking ! :D
Gentlemen ... I request pics of this "thing" in action! I'd appreciate some pics where it destroys lights like the Maxabeam, X990 et al.
:wave:
bernie

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Bernie, I don't know about "destroying" my Maxabeam (hanging on the right) or X990 (top left.) It does give an aperature size comparison. :green:

site1106.JPG

Larry