Imalent        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Flashaholic*

Default Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

I got a few of trueblue's SMJLED PR2 bulbs on sale and like them a lot. I did find out that the bulbs' brightness is affected by the host flashlight - probably by resistance in the host body.

So mine work GREAT in a PT Tec-20. They worked a lot less well in a cheap 99 cent 2AA host - which is not suprising. So my question is, what hosts have CPFers used for these SMJLED's (especially those with multiple bulbs who can provide comparisons) and which ones do you think made good hosts.

Thanks for looking.

Default Re: Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Mine's in one of these:
    Energizer Quick Switch
    http://www.energizer.com/products/fl...ight.asp?cat=1

If you want something more rugged, try a Dorcy Gel-Brite or another cheap rubberized and/or waterproof light.
    RIP Don and Mike Show. Long Live The Mike O'Meara Show!

My light is more an out of the box but in the box mod. A two-brightness folding portable lantern is what Iíve chosen to make. You have to admit it is different.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 06-13-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Flashaholic

I liked how well the Energizer Work Light (K220WB-E) worked, I bought two of them. It has a nice side spill and good throw. I bought mine at Target for $5.99. It has a faceted reflector, and holds the bulb in place with a metal disk that aids in heat sinking the SMJLED PR2 bulb. Here are some pictures. The beam shot is with new batteries.

I also tried it in an Engergizer Industrial 2D flashlight - it has a narrower beam and bit longer throw at the expense of less side spill. I wonder about cooling with the Industrial 2D - the bulb base is in plastic and could get quite hot if left on for a while...
    Last edited by trailstoride; 06-13-2006 at 01:02 PM.

I bought some inexpensive RayOVac branded lights at Walmart recently (see picture below), and they're terrific. The three pack is 6.79 and a single 2AA is 2.00. I haven't found anything better to go with the PR SMJLED.

Want to buy Tektite and Tekna lights and parts. PM me with what you have.

I made a few beamshots a couple of weeks back.

The last one's bright as its a 1W Lumuled PR drop in.
    The first one is 0.5W Advancemart for comparison although its more floody than any of the PR2 hosts.

I like the yellow 47p Tesco one. The reflecor is dimpled(stochastic?).

Cheers.

I tried some lights with the SMJLED PR and the energizer flashlights seem to have an edge here

The energizer Quick switch AA/C/D light
    The energizer worklight AA

And my personal favorite is the energizer 2 in 1 outdoor, It's shorter than the 2 previous lights and it has a very good spot (Better than the worklight) with sidespill and also turns into an arealight if needed. Deep reflector, very good construction and nice price at $6.xx at target. I might just get a couple more, an added bonus is that it can be run on 2 or 4 AA for extra runtime, but it has reverse polarity, you have to mod the light to fit the batteries backwards.
    http://www.energizer.com/products/fl...asp?cat=4&id=6

I think this is a winner for overall use.

HTH
    AlexGT

Oh yes,

I posted this PR2 mod for pelican versabrite earlier.
    Handy if you need it but no where as good as a big reflector host.

Cheers
    Last edited by leduk; 06-13-2006 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling

I posted about the Garrity G-Tech 2AA light in this thread including photos (post #114). I think it has a great beam for a cheap light.

leduk - Liking that Tesco 2D, even has a faceted reflector too!

Put my first SMJ PR2 from into a dollar store 2C light, nothing special but does the job suprisingly well. Throw is respectable and there's lots of useable sidespill, with minimal artifacts from the reflector (you can barely see the emitter wires).

Just ordered another pair from TrueBlue, so might go back and pick up one more - can't go wrong for $1

Energizer hardcase 2D,
    Dorcy Boss 2AA seen to work fine

Flashaholic*

I really like mine in the 2D Rayovac Industrial lights, $5 at Walmart. They have a RYG warning LED system to let you know the batteries are getting low. The beam is a good center spot for moderate throw and good usable side spill. And since the bulb mount is in the body and not the head, you can remove the reflector and use it in candle mode to light up the entire room.

In the AA light, I like the Garrity 2AA with faceted reflector, $4 at Walmart. It produces a much more floody beam. A little short on throw but great for general around the house use.

Another fellow CPFer mentioned the Sears Craftsman Endurable Lux-1 3AAA body was a superb host for the PR SMJLED. Once the PR Lux bulb is harvested, you're left with an unused and rather well constructed body.
    The battery tube has a ridge that is for aligning the AAA battery carrier.
    If you sand it down, 2 AAs can be inserted to power the SMJLED.
    Or, fabricate a dummy AAA for the existing battery carrier.

i don't have one but they sure is nice

ADD:btw, srry donshock. i totally forgot about the whole you give me a mjled and i put a review thing.

will put it up later today
    if killing was legal, i would have killed countless number of people...

I have 2 on the way from Trueblue - can't wait! Since I intend to use it as a long-running emergency light, I am planning to use it in a 2D light that can do candlelight mode such as the Mag2D.

My mod worked so I must have done something right. Two SMJLED PR based bulb power the Energizer Lantern. The light retains two-brightness use.

The stock lantern is directly driven from 4xAA batteries. The 6-volt setup had one current limiting resistor and the second resistor dimmed the 5mm LED emitters. The circuit board was rearranged. I used the 75 ohm resistor that came in the lantern to starve the SMJLED PR bulbs. That was my solution to dim the bulbs.

Looking at the lantern on high is hard. A brighter high and dimmer low was the result of the mod.

I received my PR SMJLEDs today. Wow, great tint and can be exploited very well in some flashlights, and be underwhelming in others.

It didn't work well in my intended host, a Panasonic Kryptalite 2D with shallow , faceted reflector. Seems the SMJLED works best in deep reflectors.

It went into an old B&D Snakelite for a floody long-running area light.
    To my surprise, the other is a throwaway 2AA handout. And it has a great beam.

Last edited by WNG; 06-15-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue
    My mod worked so I must have done something right. Two SMJLED PR based bulb power the Energizer Lantern. The light retains two-brightness use.

The stock lantern is directly driven from 4xAA batteries. The 6-volt setup had one current limiting resistor and the second resistor dimmed the 5mm LED emitters. The circuit board was rearranged. I used the 75 ohm resistor that came in the lantern to starve the SMJLED PR bulbs. That was my solution to dim the bulbs.
    TrueBlue, this looks great! So, could you go into a little more detail on this lantern mod. I have a couple of the lanterns I'd like to do the same thing to but could use a little more guidance on what's entailed.

So far I've had best results with the Energizer Hard Case flashlight:

The large faceted reflector seems to work very well with the SMJLED, Here's a beamshot:

Being a 2D light, the runtime should be fairly long.

Cost £7 (around $12) on ebay
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Enlightened

I was doing some playing around with the smjleds (both bipin & pr) I got from lambda. I tried them in Minimag, Coleman tent light etc.

The one that really surprised me was a simple Mag 2D with a sputtered reflector that I had. I was really impressed with the beam & overall brightness. I had not planned on leaving it in the 2D but thats where it is going to stay.

I figure its a very long running light with a decent amount of output. Actually the light output is slightly more than a stock 2D but the runtime is like 40x.

--
    John

Quote Originally Posted by x-ray
    So far I've had best results with the Energizer Hard Case flashlight:
    There must have been a change in that flashlight. I've got one, but the polarity is reversed. So, the SMJLED doesn't work in it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath
    There must have been a change in that flashlight. I've got one, but the polarity is reversed. So, the SMJLED doesn't work in it at all.
    I wonder what would make them reverse the polarity? It would not effect the standard incandescent bulb so seems pretty pointless.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

can these be over-driven?
    Say to craftman 1-watt body and still use 3 AAA.

Edit! No.

I have the answer in the sale thread here #107 .

Thanks TrueBlue!
    Last edited by Newuser01; 06-16-2006 at 08:31 PM.

I have tested them in quite a few lights (including some of the above) and have found that the Everready 2D at walmart that costs $1.68 for the light and two heavy duty batteries is a very nice choice for the money. It has alot of throw and a really nice smooth flood which is quite bright as well.

The other light I am using is a 54 cent (yes 54 freaking cents) light that I bought at a local flea market/tool shop. It has a fauceted reflector and has a much nicer beam than the Rayovac Industrial.

Thanks! adirondackdestroyer!!

I may have to go to WALLY and look around.
    Last edited by Empath; 06-16-2006 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonShock
    I really like mine in the 2D Rayovac Industrial lights, $5 at Walmart. They have a RYG warning LED system to let you know the batteries are getting low. The beam is a good center spot for moderate throw and good usable side spill. And since the bulb mount is in the body and not the head, you can remove the reflector and use it in candle mode to light up the entire room.
    I have one of these too and really like it. I was just hoping you could use a 1 watt PR, but I don't think it would work considering the base holding it is plastic or am I completely wrong and this would be feasible?

Does the SMJLED emit as much light as the stock incan bulb?

+1 on the Energizer Hard Case 2D flashlight as a host. The beam on this has an almost identical shape as a Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA, kind of a 3 stage beam with a defined center hotspot. I'd estimate it to be about 2/3 as bright as the SL PP but still has decent throw, runtime should be in days. It isn't a small light but with its squared shape it ain't rolling away on you. I found a few at one OfficeDepot store on clearance for $3.04 each a few months ago.

Another one that works pretty good is the Duracell Procell 2D light. I picked one up for $1 at a local electronics supplier. By the time I got back they were all gone. It is a plastic light but has better, square cut threads on the head so it stays together and plastic ears molded up alongside the switch for some protection. I have seen them online for about 2 bucks.

I just got two yesterday, upon my return from an Alaskan criuse. I took my MiniMag SMJLED 2AA, (VERY useful) my Leatherman Micra, and my Swiss Army Knife with no problems at all, at all .

I grabbed my wife's yellow plastic 2 D no name light, and turned it on, to see if the batteries were still with us. Dim, dim, dim, and yellowish, of course!
    I put the SMJLED in, (my kind of mod!) and WOW! all the difference in the world! Much brighter, and nice tint.

If I could have done something similar to my Streamlight Twin Task, I'd probably still have it.

I quick took it out before my wife saw it and wanted it. I'm sending it to a friend who has a 2 cell Maglight that really needs a shot in the arm. I will put the second one in a G.I. angle head flashlight.

Does anybody know which of the faceted reflectors can easily replace the smooth G.I one? It looks like it ought to be an easy swap. But, I have said that before, with mixed reusults.
    That old Black Maglight has me in its spell;
    That old Black Maglight that shines so well...

Enlightened

On your link:

http://www.energizer.com/products/fl...ight.asp?cat=1

I have a PR base SMJLED in an AA Energizer work light, and it is great.
    Also have another one in an 84c Walmart Value Bright 2 AA light.

I think the small AA lights are perfect hosts, because the size seems appropriate for the output level, and they still have a very long runtime. Also, the beam is very white - between a spot and flood, which is ideal for any indoor application. The throw is adequate to light your way outside. These are great reliable lights that are ideal for the glovebox, or to keep in a briefcase or laptop bag on trips. Total investment under ten bucks for the Wally World version.

I wanted a little more emergency light longevity than the advertised 60 minutes in my "Garrity Rechargeable Flashlight and Automatic Night Light" so I swapped in the SMJLED in place of the stock incandescent which after testing I found it would give me close to 7 hours of usable light with the two included 600mAh Sanyo NiCad's. The beam in this thing was surprisingly descent as a flashlight. However, in this application a tight beam might not be what is needed. I'll likely replace the NiCads with some older NiMH I have to increase the runtime too. I picked a couple of these lights up at Radio Shack on clearance for $5 each.

Last edited by filibuster; 06-20-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast