• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

PD Trit glue.... Where to buy?>>>> Norland 61<<<< Thanks CPF!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
PD Trit glue.... Where to buy?>>>> Norland 61<<<< Thanks CPF!

Can anyone post a link where Don get's his Ultra clear Epoxy that he glues the Tritium vials in with. I want to get some so i can use it myself.

Is it hard to use?

I have some items coming in that I will need to glue some vials in. Any input appreciated!

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PD Trit glue.... Where to buy?

Don uses Norland 61.

Pretty easy to use as you don't need to mix any hardening agent to get it to cure. Simply expose it to UV light and it will cure.... (eg. the Sun).

As to where to buy it, you'd have to look hard, as it is not easy to find.

I bought mine here.... a local shop carries these.

:thumbsup: WP

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Don uses Norland 61.

Pretty easy to use as you don't need to mix any hardening agent to get it to cure. Simply expose it to UV light and it will cure.... (eg. the Sun).

As to where to buy it, you'd have to look hard, as it is not easy to find.

I bought mine here.... a local shop carries these.

:thumbsup: WP

Thanks Donald! :goodjob:

EDIT: I wonder if my Arc AAA UV would help with curing.... :thinking: :stupid:

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast

PoliceScannerMan said:
EDIT: I wonder if my Arc AAA UV would help with curing.... :thinking: :stupid:

As long as the wavelength is between 350 to 380 nm, then you are good to go! It would probably take only a few seconds/minutes to cure.

By the way, a better source to by this is probably here. I've never dealt with them before, though....

WP

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

WAVE_PARTICLE said:
As long as the wavelength is between 350 to 380 nm, then you are good to go! It would probably take only a few seconds/minutes to cure.

By the way, a better source to by this is probably here. I've never dealt with them before, though....

WP
:lolsign:

I just got done placing an order at edmunds! I found it by Google, $33 after shipping. :awman:

But its worth it for a clean look of this Epoxy! Thanks again.

aosty

Enlightened

Dang, that's a bit pricey. Is that 4-month shelf life... referring to optical quality, adhesive/curing quality, or both?

Does superglue work? :grin2:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PD Trit glue.... Where to buy?>>>> Norland 61<<<< Thanks CPF!

I was just thinking about this same question..

Awesome info folks! TY!

AW

Newly Enlightened

PoliceScannerMan said:
NO!!
SuperGlue dries to an opaque dried snot look, where this stuff is crystal clear, just transparent as can be...

I use regular 30 minute crystal clear epoxy with the same good result. The 3 tritium vials looks just like floating in there.

PICT0037.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic

Unless you need ultra clear optical quality finish, Devcon clear epoxy works OK ( a little yellow, maybe, with age).

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I use a syringe with a metal tipped needle with the Norland 61. It isn't a sharp injection needle. You can install the H3 vial first and then add drops of the adhesive until it reaches the desired amount. It flows nicely around the the vial. Unfortunately the UV source does have to be in the range stated or so I have found. The Cree 7090UV doesn't cut it from my experience. There are other UV and near UV curring adhesives but many will react with air or moisture and leave a bit of a sticky surface. There is probably a better solution out there but I haven't stumbled across it yet. I did a google on stained glass supplies and found some possible alternates but the Norland 61 does the job for me so I will wait until someone else comes up with a better solution! :D

Epoxy does work fine as AW stated. I don't like being hindered by the pot life or the heavier viscosity of the epoxies I have. There are UV curing adhesives that you can literally freeze a drop with UV light! there is one epoxy I have used and still have in the garage in Berkeley that is thin and water clear but with a 24 hr set time, nah.....

cqbdude

Enlightened

Hello Don,

Is there a place in the bay area that you get this Norland 61 stuff from?

Thanks,

Raul

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I bought it direct from Norland.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

McGizmo said:
Hi guys,
I use a syringe with a metal tipped needle with the Norland 61. It isn't a sharp injection needle. You can install the H3 vial first and then add drops of the adhesive until it reaches the desired amount. It flows nicely around the the vial. Unfortunately the UV source does have to be in the range stated or so I have found. The Cree 7090UV doesn't cut it from my experience. There are other UV and near UV curring adhesives but many will react with air or moisture and leave a bit of a sticky surface. There is probably a better solution out there but I haven't stumbled across it yet. I did a google on stained glass supplies and found some possible alternates but the Norland 61 does the job for me so I will wait until someone else comes up with a better solution! :D

Epoxy does work fine as AW stated. I don't like being hindered by the pot life or the heavier viscosity of the epoxies I have. There are UV curing adhesives that you can literally freeze a drop with UV light! there is one epoxy I have used and still have in the garage in Berkeley that is thin and water clear but with a 24 hr set time, nah.....

Thanks for the input, now I gotta get my fiancee to score me a syringe and needle from work! I will dremel the needle point down some....

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

There must be a suitable alternative. $34 for a product that has a shelf life of only 4 months. No way.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi guys,

I am also trying to buy some of this, but not that easy in France.
The only supplier I have found is Edmund, but no reply from them yet. Maybe they are still on vacation (pretty common in france, terrible August month for that!).

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Anglepoise said:
There must be a suitable alternative. $34 for a product that has a shelf life of only 4 months. No way.
When your using it for a light that is very, very..... Special, yes way! :naughty: