Draco: BRAVO

lightrod

Enlightened
The ultra-small (0.5" x 1.85") Draco with XRE from modamag is impressive - incredible performance from such a small and lightweight package. This thread has lots of info/discussion:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137487
The light is Flupic (PWM) controlled with 3 levels: burst, low, and a user selected level (10 levels to choose from).
Not a throw monster by any means but a LOT of output available - up to 110 lumens (yes that's 3 digits!!) distributed into a very useful wide beam with a soft spot and bright spill, gradual transitions, no artifacts, rings etc. Here's the Draco beam profile compared to some other lights. Similar total output but much wider flood than the other XRE lights (A19 and P1D-CE) – beam somewhat similar to the SF L4's very floody "wall of light". Note the very wide "secondary spill":
newpicture6vn7.png

Level 4 provides more than enough of light (20-25 lumens) for about any task, and runs an amazing 75 minutes on a tiny rechargeable (unprotected) 10280 cell:
newpicture3oy4.png

Here's the detail on what I got for all levels (runtimes estimated using level 4 runtime as a baseline then scaling all other levels based on lumens – probably pretty close since this light is PWM):
newpicture11xa2.png

Primary intent is for a keychain but I will carry loose. Look and feel is very high quality.

Not surprisingly, it gets very hot on burst within a couple minutes and not a good idea to run much longer than that on burst.

Overall a fascinating light that may be showing a glimpse of the future – outrageous performance for size. Congratulations to modamag!

[EDIT 1/27: since the original post I have found that the light does NOT get excessively hot on burst if held in the hand. My original post was based on observation with the light sitting on a wooden block – not representative of actual use. Also - below is a schematic of the operation of the Flupic v2. Not sure if it helps, but I've tried to expand on the supplied user guide schematic in an attempt to make it a little more descriptive/understandable. In any case, for what it's worth….]
newpicture1uf2.png

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice info, mine should be shipped any day now. Can you repost or PM your runtime chart in plain text so I can copy/paste it?

ShortArc

Enlightened
Very useful information, thank you!
Does your Draco exhibit a momentary "flicker" approx 2 sec after you turn it on?

Secur1

Enlightened
Uhm erm i've been looking over and over at the Flupic manual but i just don't get it...
To me the light workis like

Turn 1 Burst
Turn 2 Lower, almost half the light from burst
Turn 3 Low
After that there is a mode where i turn on the light, wait a few seconds and then it lights up in burst mode...
So how do i access the 10 different user levels ?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st = High
2nd = User set level
3rd = Low
4th = No light
5th = Quick Flash (Program the light here)

At the 5th settting (the one after No light) it will Quick Flash, and then slowly step through the 10 levels of light, going from 1-10 and then 10-1. Whatever level it is at when you turn the light off during this sequence is the level that the 2nd turn (User set level) will be set to.

lightrod

Enlightened
Just updated the runtime plot with a couple other levels included beyond the original level 4. Based on the new info I think the table is about right in its estimates for runtime for each level.

lightrod

Enlightened
Added burst level to the runtime chart; corrected a comment on the heat from the light on burst; added a schematic of the Flupic v2.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightrodadded a schematic of the Flupic v2.[/QUOTE said:
On my light the 4th twist gives no light and the 5th gives a flash and then the 1-10 levels. Does yours give level 1 light on the 4th twist?

lightrod

Enlightened
dammitjim said:
On my light the 4th twist gives no light and the 5th gives a flash and then the 1-10 levels. Does yours give level 1 light on the 4th twist?

Thanks dammitjim - you are absolutely right - a copy/paste error on my part. Fixed.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Lightrod - your schematic, although complicated at first glance, really breaks down the operation of the FluPIC, and helps dummies like me know what's going on. Thanks! :thumbsup:
john

flashgreenie

Enlightened
thanks lightrod, really hepful post. I got mine yesterday and immediately blinded myself by turning it on while looking at the bezel:ohgeez: Amazed at how bright this little thing is.:grin2:

loveit

Enlightened
I'm waiting for this next round to finish up to get my Draco. You all have me very excited about getting this light. I ordered the titanium version. All of these great reviews have really pushed me to the Draco. I hope I'm not disappointed. I am new to these flashlights and just received my first McGizmo PD-S. There is nothing like starting at the top!

lightrod

Enlightened
Lurveleven said:
lightrod, can you do runtime graphs for level 5 and 6 as well?

Sigbjoern

I can get to this before long I think - expect the runtime to be very close to the table values. Unlike current regulated lights, with PWM the runtime will be very close to inversely proportional with the output (e.g. 1/2 the output will give 2x the runtime) since efficiency is not gained at the lower levels. With current regulation 1/2 the output will provide more like 3x the runtime since the LED operates more efficiently (more lumens per watt) at low levels.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightrod said:
Unlike current regulated lights, with PWM the runtime will be very close to inversely proportional with the output (e.g. 1/2 the output will give 2x the runtime) since efficiency is not gained at the lower levels. With current regulation 1/2 the output will provide more like 3x the runtime since the LED operates more efficiently (more lumens per watt) at low levels.

Why is this? And given that it is so, would filtering the PWM back into DC
improve efficiency?