Is it worth getting a Fisher Space pen?

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering it it worth the $30 is there anything special about it other than " space " in the name. It seems kind of small and it might be difficult to write with.:candle:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
look in my name, i made a thread about the same question just look it up.

BTW yes it is wrth the 30 bucks or you can go to staples and get one for around 17teen bucks.

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
I have several space pens. Titanium, clickies, bullet pens, the cartridges in standard pens.

I love them, it is my first pick for pens. I use the fine point refills, and use the medium that come in the pens in non-space pen bodies. I carry one with me daily and always have at least two within reach.

The ability to write at any angle and even up-side-down is always handy for how I use pens. Check out www.spacepen.com/Public/Technology/index.cfm for more about the cartridges.

Shop around... even go to ebay and you can get some good deals on the price depending on the model.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well you "could" just use a pencil? :ohgeez: :D

Bottom line ---> YES, get one now! Some have stated that they had a problem with earlier refills as far as "smudging" goes. I found (and I believe this was stated somewhere as well...) that the fine point blue doesn't smudge, but the medium black did. I sent "several" new refills back and asked that they replace them with the fine point blues and they did!

BTW, they are available for less than $30...and yes, eBay is a good place to check them out. Oh and they are a drop in replacement for Parker pens as well, if you just want to buy a refill and slap it in a Parker?

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
VWTim said:
I kinda dig that matte Black one at REI listed. I might have to get one for $10
I keep one of those in my truck, never know when you're going to drive into the ocean and have to write a letter home! :D

Seriously, writing in the rain or freezing snow is a challenge for most other pens - NOT this one!

cy

Flashaholic
there's a running sales thread for a ti full size space pen at a really good price.

I've got several bullet pens, but never use em. too fiddly. whereas I use full size space pen all the time. like em so well ordered three!

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
Sigman said:
I keep one of those in my truck, never know when you're going to drive into the ocean and have to write a letter home! :D

Seriously, writing in the rain or freezing snow is a challenge for most other pens - NOT this one!

I always keep one in my car in the winter. A regular pen can stop working when it is left in a very cold car. The space pen writes at zero degrees!

DaveG

Enlightened
Sigman said:
Well you "could" just use a pencil? :ohgeez: :D

Bottom line ---> YES, get one now! Some have stated that they had a problem with earlier refills as far as "smudging" goes. I found (and I believe this was stated somewhere as well...) that the fine point blue doesn't smudge, but the medium black did. I sent "several" new refills back and asked that they replace them with the fine point blues and they did!

BTW, they are available for less than $30...and yes, eBay is a good place to check them out. Oh and they are a drop in replacement for Parker pens as well, if you just want to buy a refill and slap it in a Parker?
Thanks for the tip on fine point refills,I have a few space pens,but stopped using them due to the ink smudging problem.Have to try a fine point refill.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several and use them everyday. They really do work on wet and/or greasy paper (work with cooking or preparing food and you'll understand why this is important). I have had one medium black refill leak out of many so maybe this issue has been fixed by Fisher.

One of only a few Seinfeld shows I liked (I know, I know, but I still didn't like the show that much): "You kept the pen? He LOVED that pen!"

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
$30? The Cap-O-Matic line has a MSRP of ten bucks.

I do carry one to have a pen that writes on anything, but for writing on paper I prefer a Parker Gel roller refill.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I've got three space pens (bullets) and love them.

They're small and convenient, write very well, and in all kinds of conditions as mentioned.

:rock:

pmsar35

Newly Enlightened
After losing my only pen on a search and rescue field test, I ordered aFisher Cap-O-Matic and a bullet pen. I ALWAYS have the bullet pen in my pocket even when carrying other pens at work or in the field.

The Fisher Space Pens work very well with the waterproof notepads that I use in the field and I did test them by putting them in the freezer then writing with them, as well as writing underwater (in the sink)...

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened
Tanks guys I will give one a try but now I have to find one. Staples dosen't have them here.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit of thread jacking here, but the story about the americans spending millions on developing a pen that could write in space, and the russian just used a pencil, is that one true? Still pretty funny even if it aint.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it's not true. The Americans used pencils and paper until three of our astronauts died from an oxygen-fueled fire, so a private American citizen spent $1M of his own money to develop the fireproof Space Pen and sold them to NASA for US$2.95 each.

The Russians even switched to the Space Pen. It was the first product they sold on QVC from the Mir Space Station...

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
Lobo said:
A bit of thread jacking here, but the story about the americans spending millions on developing a pen that could write in space, and the russian just used a pencil, is that one true? Still pretty funny even if it aint.

FALSE.

In fact, the government didn't spend any money developing the space pen. Fisher, the guy the company is named after, developed it independently for use in space. Not only did NASA not spend any money on it, at first they didn't even want it and wouldn't buy it. It took a few revisions on Fisher's party before NASA became interested in it.

As far as the pencil... small pieces of graphite from broken pencil tips flying around inside a zero-gravity space ship loaded with highly sensitive electronic equipment are just NOT a good idea.

:sick2:

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened
So what does the "original" one look like? It appears that there are several versions for sale now.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just chiming in to say that I have no problems writing with a small pen (I use an Inka). It's not quite the same as full-size, of course, but the difference feels very insignificant.

It's great EDCing a pen. Go for it! :)