Recomend a small assisted open knife.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at assisted open knives for a little while now and would like a recommendation based on your experience. Right now I'm looking at the SOG twitch 1. Low price, decent blade steel (AUS-8), small. Does anyone have any experience with this knife or similar model? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rotate the kershaw g-10 leek and the avalanche.

grippy and quick to open.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The regular Kershaw Leek is highly recommended. Feels good in the hand, looks nice IMO, and not spendy. Very sharp. I had a G10 Leek but found it way too grippy - it didn't want to come out of my pocket. Now I'm with the steel Leek and Titanium Leek. JMO.

oct.jpg

cheers

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
adimag,
What will you be using this for? Do you need the best steel?
I bought a crkt koji hara a/o because I liked the look of the thing. I'ts small, just manageable in my med/large hand, has 420j2 that isn't the hardest but resists corrosion and chemicals well, takes a quick edge, and disappears in the pocket. And it's inexpensive. Construction is tight and generally proves itself very useful for for daily cutting needs.
For something larger but still easily pocketable, the chive a/o works great for me. Splurge on the titanium zdp model and you'll smile alot. About the same size is the mini grip 556, not sure if it's really an a/o but it will flick open with a snap of the wrist and it feels really solid in the hand. It's about halfway between the koji and the chive in price.
I rotate between the three but actually find myself picking carrying my spyderco calypso jr. zdp blade. Not an a/o but opens so easily, is solid, light, sharpppppp and nonexistent in the pocket.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far!! Shakeylegs, it will be used as a general purpose edc knife. I do not need the best blade steel, but I would like something in the middle of the road as far as steel goes. Also, I would like to keep the price under $50. The main reason for this is that I have found that when I spend more than that on a knife, it doesn't get used as much as I would use something in the less that $50 range. The mindset of " I don't want to mess up something that I just spent $$$ on." That's why I'm asking about the SOG. It is about $30-$35 in most places, so I won't feel bad about using it. I am familiar with the SOG multitools, but not their knife line. So, I would like to find out if their knives are of the same quality as their tools.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
adimag said:
I have been looking at assisted open knives for a little while now and would like a recommendation based on your experience. Right now I'm looking at the SOG twitch 1. Low price, decent blade steel (AUS-8), small. Does anyone have any experience with this knife or similar model? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a SOG Twitch II.

The Assisted Opener sometimes sticks. I don't recommend opening it with the thumbstud. Use the flipper instead, and make sure you get a solid grip on the handle.

Other than that, no problems. Makes an excellent, small utility knife. Also small enough to be used as a money clip. And is classy looking enough to be used as a Gentleman's knife for formal dress occassions.

gorn

Enlightened
I have several of the Kershaw assisted openers. The chive and scallion are nice and small. I always have one close. But I usually carry a spyderco cricket. Nice and small, easy opening and sharp to an extreme.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give a strong vote for the SOG Flash I. It's extremely lightweight, and one of the smallest, slimmest closed profiles for it's blade size of any knife that I'm familiar with. Despite it's small footprint, it feels very nice, comfortable and secure in use.

It was my EDC, but has been replaced by a BenchMade 555 MiniGrip. I don't like bulk and weight in my pockets, but the mini grip was so outstanding, I started carrying it anyway. I've since lost my SOG and I need to replace it - the 555 is still too heavy and bulky for me with dress pants.

The Flash I is only 3/10 oz heavier than the Twitch, but it's blade is 6/10 inch longer. Closed is 4/10 inch longer. I don't think the Twitch is a bad choice, but I think that Flash I is more knife with very little trade off for small carrying size and the Zytel handles make it lightweight.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Try checking out the Kershaw Mini Mojito and Baby Boa.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

If your expenses permit and if you can find them, there's the Pro-Tech Runt series. These have blade lengths under 2" and in auto format. Very fast and solid I must say!

S

Samhain73

For what you are looking for +1 on the Camilus Blaze. Solid little folder, great asst. opening, Aus8. Almost exactly what you asked for!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Another one for Kershaw may possbly be the E.T. External Toggle Model KS-1900. Check it out!

Russianesq

Enlightened
the blade profile of the SOG and Kershaw are very different. With the Kershaw the blade profile allow for better penetration. The SOG was a more rounded tip.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies!! I will try to take it all in and post what I decide to go with along with my impressions of the knife.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
Do you want the assist for a cool factor or is there another reason you would like it?

I find that any of the knives that have the hole in the blade are just as fast to open as most auto's and assisted.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I like the Twitch, but am more fond of the Scallion and Chive from Kershaw. Another nice small Kershaw package is the Baby Boa, quite diminutive but very handy to have around. The Baby Boa is similar to the SOG Sculptura, but the Sculptura has a fatter, easier to grip body. Some have mentioned a minigrip, which is another of my favorite knives, but it's a little bulkier than some of these others.
cheers,
daloosh