• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Microprocessor controlled drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV7

Newly Enlightened
These drivers focus on performance. The PWM frequency is over 5KHz so there's absolutely no noticeable flickering. The microprocessor uses "on" time to control mode switching - if you turn it off within 2 seconds since you turned it on, then it will be in the next mode when you turn it on again. If you leave it on for more than 2 seconds, then the next time you turn it on it will stay in the same mode (last mode memory).

1AA NiMH
1aapcb.jpg
new1aa.jpg

Size: 16x6.5mm (L1P size); Diameter can be trimmed down to 14.5mm
Efficiency: >80%
Full output: 800mA
Reverse polarity won't fry the board nor the LED. But there's a current draw. So if you've just changed battery and find the light not working, turn it off and check the battery polarity.
Price: tbd
Modes:
a) 4% - 20% - 100% (no strobe)
b) 4% - 20% - 100% - 10Hz Strobe

3.7V Li Ion
3DLiIon.jpg
LiIonboardsmall.jpg
liiona.jpg
liionb.jpg

Size: 18x7mm
Efficiency: ~95%
Full output: 1A until 90% discharge with a typical Cree and 18650; then gradually goes down until 98% discharge, when output will drop below 2mA and the battery voltage is around 3.1V. Safe to use with unprotected batteries. Full output level can be changed by replacing a resistor on the board.

Reverse polarity protection
Price: tbd
Modes:
a) 1% - 7% - 30% - 100% (no strobe)
b) 1% - 7% - 30% - 100% - 10Hz Strobe

-- 1AA Beam Shots ----------------------------
I modified a DX Elite (Elly with Cree) using one of my boards. Here are some comparison beamshots. The Rex2.0 has the whitest tint and the best beam pattern, while both the Elite and the MK2X are yellowish. Probably due to the difference in tints, in the photo the Rex appears brighter but to my eyes it's the contrary. After 10 minutes on high, Rex got hot but the Elite was just warm, supposedly due to its bigger size.

aPWM.jpg

a100.jpg

-- 1AA driver beta batch - July 20 --------------------------------------------------------
Some 1AA boards have been assembled. In 100% mode the board outputs 750mA at an efficiency of 81%. If you use a good switch and a Q2 Cree, don't be surprised to see 1A at the LED at 77% efficiency. StefanFS gets more than 1A with a 18650 sized NiMH. It can light up at 0.75V and outputs 70mA at 86% efficiency. With a 2300mAH battery the runtime (to 50%) is about 40 minutes in 100% mode and 4.5 hours in 15%. I believe this driver is taking the power and efficiency of 1AA booster to a new level. Now you get Li Ion performance with NiMH! Vive la NiMH! :D

Areas to improve: Compensation needed for the nonlinear relation between PWM percentage and actual output percentage (see beamshots below); efficiency in lower modes can be better; the size can be smaller (15x6.5mm). A friend of mine and I are working on these and will come up with an improved version in a couple months. But I'd like to keep this a hobby and thus can't promise a delivery date.

For those who have been waiting and are interested in trying out the current version, I'm offering a limited quantity at $8 each. No more of this version will be made.
Update: The beta batch was sold out on Aug 2.

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Microprocessor controlled 4-mode driver boards

Definitely interested if it fits into a Fenix L2P! Right now running a MillerMods custom driver board 700mA output 2 NiMH cell input. I want to install an other driver board with mulitple modes, so yours looks very interesting. Is it also possible to get a low-low like 2-3%? Any idea about the price?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
easy: I am one of the guys present here, who actually use their lights on the job, often and in normal "flashlight chores".
Dont want to burn my eyes every time I switch the light on, so if it starts in another as the low setting
--> not interested

modes better should be:
low level ~ 2-5 %, med 40-55 %,

or (an outcome of the Fenix asking tread): skip the strobe and make 4 levels like:
very low, low-med, med-high, full. (2-5, 30, 60, 100 %)

if the modes are low to high or high to low, You might decide later

davenlei

Newly Enlightened

I am interested depending on price.

RV7

Newly Enlightened

Definitely interested if it fits into a Fenix L2P! Right now running a MillerMods custom driver board 700mA output 2 NiMH cell input. I want to install an other driver board with mulitple modes, so yours looks very interesting. Is it also possible to get a low-low like 2-3%? Any idea about the price?

Glad to hear that.

Theoretically a low of 2-3% is possible. Let's see how many ppl like that kind of low. I don't have a 2AA board yet. But if you have the savvy, you can get only the control board and integrate it with your MillerMods driver.

The cost hasn't been finalized yet. Should be around $10.

HiltiHome

Enlightened

I'm interested, if it goes like this:

low,med,high (no strobe), or
low-low,low,med, high

davenlei

Newly Enlightened

For ~$10 i'm in!

Norm

Retired Administrator

I'm interested in a 2AA board.
Norm

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might be interested in a few!

nine

Newly Enlightened

Very interested
2 words : Angle Head

I second the low,med,high idea
Strobe is useless, and I like to keep things simple and as straightforward as possible.

RV7

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the responses above!

Flashlight has so far just been a casual hobby for me. While I like the circuit very much and have modded several lights myself, I'm still hesitating if I should start all this and commit considerable time out of my already busy life.

If you're interested, please post here! :wave:

CancerLad

Newly Enlightened

I would be interested in a few of the boards, if they were 2%, 10%, 50%, 100%.

JJohn

Enlightened

Yellow described it exactly as I would like it. I couldn't say it any better. I would be very interested if you kept it simple, efficient, and a nice low option.

easy: I am one of the guys present here, who actually use their lights on the job, often and in normal "flashlight chores".
Dont want to burn my eyes every time I switch the light on, so if it starts in another as the low setting
--> not interested

modes better should be:
low level ~ 2-5 %, med 40-55 %,

or (an outcome of the Fenix asking tread): skip the strobe and make 4 levels like:
very low, low-med, med-high, full. (2-5, 30, 60, 100 %)

if the modes are low to high or high to low, You might decide later

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested. Unlike the simpletons and KISS crowd :nana: I like strobe but will be interesed either way.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
if low,med,high,strobe (or better lowlow, low, med, high)
and final price about Your 10,--

at least a few (5) for Li-Ion
gotta think about the 2AA

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be interested in a few (3-5) if you keep the stated levels in your specififation. I like my lights to come on at 100%. It's not that hard to block the lens with a finger etc. and tap the switch quick one or two times if I want lower output!
Is it possible to change current to the led up or down with resistors or some other way?
Stefan

ledaholic

Enlightened

I'm interested

Interested in both the AA and Li-Ion 95% efficient boards with strobe.
Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.