HDS Systems        

View Poll Results: Which board would you like?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1AA NiMH with strobe

33 16.10%
  • 1AA NiMH without strobe

75 36.59%
  • 3.7V Li-Ion with strobe

63 30.73%
  • 3.7V Li-Ion without strobe

78 38.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: FS: Microprocessor controlled drivers

Default Re: FS: Microprocessor controlled drivers **1AA boards available now**

Last edited by RV7; 09-25-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Schroeder View Post
    Can you make me some with 100mA maximum current and 20mA medium, 5mA low?

TThanks,
    Ron
    Ron, this board was designed for high power and is not suitable for very low outputs. For example, at 5ma its efficiency would be below 50%.

Flashaholic

for 2 "B" boards.
    Pineapple,Mag3DMod,Mag2DMod,Mag1DMod,Luxeon-MM,3AAMM,HotwireMM,solitairmod,FenixP1,LOP,LOD,P1D CE,LiteFluxLF1/2/5,HDSU60GTbyMilkyspit,HDSU60Seould,HDSB42SeouldExo lionSS,Rexlight2.0,X1,X0modded,glo-toobFXold/new,Q3,Zebralight,Hyperion,JB/CLE's,MKIIR,ProIIIST,RATwisty

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RV7 View Post
    Ron, this board was designed for high power and is not suitable for very low outputs. For example, at 5ma its efficiency would be below 50%.
    This brings up another question: what is its actual efficiency at each level? I'm just curious.

Also, could you explain the problems with the Li-ion boards? Again, just curiosity - although there are plenty of people here who might be able to help.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Both the AA and the Li-ion drivers face the same challenge all other drivers using inductors share – efficiency under PWM. The Li-ion driver faces another challenge posed by 7135 and other similar LDO drivers. Those drivers cost much less, are reasonably efficient with a single li-ion, and usually works well under PWM. When under PWM, switch type drivers have a very hard time competing with LDO types when the supply voltage is near the LED Vf.

Lowering the PWM frequency helps. But if the frequency is too low, we’ll notice the flickering. When we increase the frequency a little, another problem arises – the inductor makes a buzzing noise. So we have to increase the frequency again until the noise frequency is out of the audible range. Now the impact on efficiency begins to show.

The AA driver has a quiescient current of around 100mA due to its circuit topology. With full load, most of this current is drawn by the load, resulting little loss. But as PWM duty cycle goes down, more and more of this current is wasted. John's test should give you a good idea of the driver's performance at different levels (the one he tested is from the beta batch so the level settings are a little different from the current version).

Some pictures of the li-ion driver have been added to the OP.
    Last edited by RV7; 09-26-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Cheiron ax3 shipped yesterday
    daywalker bx2 shipped today
    HankEr x9 shipped registered today

Got mine today!! Supernice drivers and superfast shipping!! Havenīt had a chance to test them but they look stunning! Good work RV7!!
    The urge for light is strong today....

Mounted it into a Cree-module with a Q5 on top, gives enormous output for a AA-light!! Great product!! Can I have some more??

Flashaholic

for 1x a) 4% - 20% - 100% (no strobe) and 2x b) 4% - 20% - 100% - 10Hz Strobe

Just bench tested one, with a Cree Q2...I like the spacing between levels, and the low is great...The low compares to my Spy005 Cree, on level two.

Nice job RV7

Flashaholic

Got my two boards yesterday ... was really surprised about the shipping speed, took only 3 days from Canada to Germany .

I implented one in a L1P and am really happy now. The L1P had already a U-Bin Seoul P4 and this driver completed the "renewal" . Directly compared to a (old) L1T modded with a USWOH Seoul P4, itīs definitely brighter now, compared to a L1D "Q4 WC", itīs clearly less bright. Next step will be to mod the L1T with my second board .... and then maybe order some more drivers .

The three levels are well chosen, especially the "low" which is really "low" ...

Flashaholic*

RV - My boards arrived yesterday. Thanks for the fast shiping. KK

Thanks guys.

Scattergun... yes you can!

rantanplan, glad you got it so fast. Well, even the bins are different, I'm still a little surprised that your modified L1P P4 doesn't beat that L1D Q5, because with a new L1D host discoverEDC was able to beat P2D! I'm guessing that after years of service, the switch of the good old L1P got somewhat oxidized and have a higher than normal resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    RV7,
    My driver arrived today As I told you in my PM my goal was to beat my Fenix P2D using NiMH. Mission accomplished Details as follows:

Host: dead Fenix L1Dce
    Emitter: Cree Q5 (WG tint is pretty good, very neutral)
    Reflector: McR-19xr

P2D numbers (also using McR-19xr)
    Lux: 1,851
    Light box: 2,000

RV7/Q5/light numbers
    Lux: 2,340
    Light box: 2,250

To be fair the numbers dropped to 2,020 and 2,100 respectively after about 10 minutes but NiMH still beats primary lithium. Amazing.

Flashaholic

rantanplan, glad you got it so fast. Well, even the bins are different, I'm still a little surprised that your modified L1P P4 doesn't beat that L1D Q5, because with a new L1D host discoverEDC was able to beat P2D! I'm guessing that after years of service, the switch of the good old L1P got somewhat oxidized and have a higher than normal resistance.
    I checked the tailcap resistance of the L1P and it is ok, has almost the same resistance as my other fenix tailcaps (L1T, 2x L1D), around 0.12 ohm. I think it has something to do with the batteries. For first tests I used some Sanyo 2100mAh, old but reliable so far. Then I switched to Sanyo 2500 mAh. Recently I had sorted some bad ones out, that had a extremely high self-discharge ... well known problem . I used two of the "good" ones for testing and my guess is, that one of them has a higher internal resistance, because after switching the batteries between the L1P and L1D, the L1P had a clear advantage. With Eneloops L1D and L1P were roughly on a par with maybe a small advantage for the L1P ... both have different beam profiles, so a objective comparison is difficult.

Finally I checked the battery currents with the Eneloops: 1.6 amps for the L1D, 2.8 amps for the L1P. I guess with your driver itīs important not only to check the resistance of the currents paths in the light but also the internal resistance of the NiMH-battery ...

I donīt remember exactly where I got the emitter of the L1P from. I could be a Seoul P4 from DX which was only labeled as "U-Bin". I think Iīll mod my L1T as well where a "genuine" USWOH from Photonfanatic is used ...

rantanplan, thanks for the detailed update!

PP sent for 2 a) boards (no strobe).

If you eliminate the switch...the difference is quite remarkable...I made a twisty version Ti light with the beta driver, and the difference in brightness is unreal.

Twisty... that's a good idea!

The equivalent input impedance of the driver is only about .3 ohm. Throw in a 0.1 ohm switch and you're bound to see a big difference.

I wander where we can buy high quality clickies, those with gold or platinum contacts.
    Last edited by RV7; 10-01-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Twisty... that's a good idea!

The equivalent input impedance of the driver is only about .3 ohm. Throw in a 0.1 ohm switch and you're bound to see a big difference.

I wander where we can buy high quality clickies, those with gold or platinum contacts.
    I think some resistance is OK in this particular application, the light is still very bright for a 1AA light, and the heat is managable...Without the switch, the run time is reduced, and the light will heat up very quickly, and it will get very, very hot...

I use an oversized heatsink, pot the circuit, and it's not enough for a Ti light.

Your beta driver really puts a McClicky switch to the test, and this is probably the best switch that's available to all CPF members.

Please let us know, if you find some...

Flashaholic

Holy sh*t !!!

Modded my L1T (SSC P4 USWOH) with my second driver board today, used a charged Eneloop and was astonished . This mod is clearly brighter than my L1D CE Q5 ...

Then I measured the battery currents (DMM replacing tailcap, resistance of DMM plus leads ~0.06 ohm) and couldnīt believe the numbers I saw. I checked them with a second DMM, but this proved the first one: Peak amps with a fresh Eneloop were 4.5 amps, a used Eneloop made still 3.5 amps ... wondering how high the emitter currents are with these input numbers ...

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    Please let us know, if you find some...
    Maybe DIY one with a couple links from someone's necklace? I heard a crazy guy making a positive contact on the back of his driver PCB this way to be able to use protected batteries...

The LED current should be close to 1.1A and the efficiency around 75%. From time to time I come across an energetic driver with higher than normal output.

Quote Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
    Holy sh*t !!!

Modded my L1T (SSC P4 USWOH) with my second driver board today, used a charged Eneloop and was astonished . This mod is clearly brighter than my L1D CE Q5 ...

Then I measured the battery currents (DMM replacing tailcap, resistance of DMM plus leads ~0.06 ohm) and couldnīt believe the numbers I saw. I checked them with a second DMM, but this proved the first one: Peak amps with a fresh Eneloop were 4.5 amps, a used Eneloop made still 3.5 amps ... wondering how high the emitter currents are with these input numbers ...

RV7,
    do you think you could possibly adapt the design to 3 Volt, for one CR123/2AA? There's a need for good 3 Volt drivers for all the single CR123 lights out there with crummy stock drivers in them. The same applies to some 2AA lights.
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS View Post
    RV7,
    do you think you could possibly adapt the design to 3 Volt, for one CR123/2AA? There's a need for good 3 Volt drivers for all the single CR123 lights out there with crummy stock drivers in them. The same applies to some 2AA lights.
    Stefan
    Hi Stefan,

This driver is not a conventional booster. It works like a highly efficient transformer. It's the battery's capability that's limiting its output. However, with two AAs and one LED, the load on the batteries will be so light that it'd be easy to over-drive or even fry the LED if its Vf is lower than the design target. In short, it works well with 1AA, but is hard to control with 2AA without sacrificing efficiency.

With two AAs, it's relatively easier to design boost circuits the converntional way and still achieve both high output and high efficiency. There're plenty of ICs to choose from. I prefer to leave this job to those "professional" driver providers.

RV7

Following orders have shipped:
    leeleefocus 1xa + 2xb
    ROK 2xa

for 2xb (strobe) boards.... Thanks!
    Scott N.

2xb shipped to Scott today.

I modded an Elly with this circuit and a Q2 yesterday, and it kicks some serious *ss!
    Really extreme output for an AA!! Nice work RV7!!!

RV7

I'm in for TWO of the 1.2v boards. your first post shows that there are none avail, is this correct?

Jeff
    "We cannot learn from one another, until we stop shouting at one another, until we speak quietly enough, so that our words can be heard, as well as our voices." R.M.Nixon 1969

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast