Klarus        

View Poll Results: Which board would you like?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1AA NiMH with strobe

33 16.10%
  • 1AA NiMH without strobe

75 36.59%
  • 3.7V Li-Ion with strobe

63 30.73%
  • 3.7V Li-Ion without strobe

78 38.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: FS: Microprocessor controlled drivers

Flashaholic

Default Re: Microprocessor controlled 4-mode driver boards - 1AA boards on sale!

PP sent for (1) 17.5x8mm without strobe

Best of luck with your exams

Simple question, will the board run on alkaline or will it burn out?

Enlightened

Default Re: Microprocessor controlled 4-mode driver boards - 1AA boards on sale!

PP sent for two 14.8mm boards with strobe.

I'm glad to see some really nice guys here! Thanks!

Now the 14.8mm boards are sold out... That kind of surprises me because most 1AA lights I've checked actually use 17mm boards.

Some beam shots have been added. Please note that the 3% mode is not as low as some people would like. It's because of the driver's nonlinear characteristic under PWM. This will be addressed in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    PP sent for (1) 17.5x8mm without strobe

Best of luck with your exams

Simple question, will the board run on alkaline or will it burn out?
    Hi discoverEDC,

Thanks!

It's perfectly fine to run on alkaline. Due to the higher internal resistance of alkies, the max output will be a little lower though.

Also others may ask the same questions in your PM so here are the answers:
    A.) I assume that the eight little round contacts at the edge of the board must touch the top of the battery tube?
    >> Yes they need to be grounded. For most lights the whole body of the light including the driver housing serves as the ground.

B.) Do I have to make provisions to stop the battery tube from crushing the driver into the top of the housing for the driver?
    >> The driver board should fit snugly at the end of the housing. Most housings have a little step to prevent the board from being pushed farther inside.

C.) Do I have to electrically isolate the top of the driver from the top the the housing for the driver?
    >> Yes. It's usually not an issue if the housing is taller than the driver.

Hi RV7,
    I would like 2 of what ever is left, prefer w/strobe but looks like those are all gone.
    Also would like ins/dc so I'll pm for details.

No hurry at all, get that exam outta the way.. And best of luck.

ThanX
    X..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

Default Re: Microprocessor controlled 4-mode driver boards

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I don't want the strobe, would rather have just 2 or 3 levels instead of 4, and if there's 4 levels there should be one ultra low (0.1%), then three approx equal steps at 5%, 20%, 100%. There should not be a 60% step.
    Hi Paul, yea it seems 60% isn't a good idea for now. I looked for better runtime at this step but the real gain isn't great due to the driver working at best efficiency at 100% and the nonlinear thing.

PWM is probably not the best way to achieve a 0.1% level. So I'm thinking of reducing to 3 levels too. Back to "simple is beautiful"...

Flashaholic*
    Live: Paramaribo, Suriname, South America / Study: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

>> No more of this version will be made.
    Do you mean no more AA boards will ever be made ?
    I would like to see the 14.8mm or the popular 0.55" (13.96mm) Sammie size boards for both AA and (R)CR123 cells...

Please keep me posted...

Flashaholic*

How far can the larger board be trimmed down (diameter reduced)?

I'm measuring my Fenix L1P pill at about 15mm diameter with a step that is larger at about 16mm. Its also only 8mm deep. I'm thinking if I can trim .75mm off of the larger sized board you are selling, it should just barely fit.

Flashaholic*

Top stuff RV7
    PP sent for
    5 X 17.5

Cheers
    Dom

for 2 17.5x8mm without strobe, unless you find one with strobe under the rug

Quote Originally Posted by bombelman View Post
    >> No more of this version will be made.
    Do you mean no more AA boards will ever be made ?
    I would like to see the 14.8mm or the popular 0.55" (13.96mm) Sammie size boards for both AA and (R)CR123 cells...

Please keep me posted...
    Oh bombelman... just read one paragraph up in the OP... I'll come up with an improved 1AA board in maybe a couple months. A smaller size is one of the objectives.

Could you tell me which 1AA lights require a sammie size board (never seen one myself)? How tall can the board be?

It's possible, but a little difficult. Most of the 17.5mm boards are actually 7.3-7.6mm tall so this's not a problem. The larger board can be trimmed down to 16mm but then you'll need to adjust the positions of the two pins that connect the two boards together. Or you can replace them with one flexible wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Minjin View Post
    How far can the larger board be trimmed down (diameter reduced)?

I'm measuring my Fenix L1P pill at about 15mm diameter with a step that is larger at about 16mm. Its also only 8mm deep. I'm thinking if I can trim .75mm off of the larger sized board you are selling, it should just barely fit.

All the orders received so far have shipped. Thanks!

I must go to UK for two weeks in the coming month. So won't be able to work on the project much in August.

For 5, 17.5x8mm without strobe

Thanks RV7

Flashaholic*
    Live: Paramaribo, Suriname, South America / Study: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

>> Could you tell me which 1AA lights require a sammie size board (never seen one myself)? How tall can the board be?
    a) Arc AA. It would need modification, but the ID of the battery tube is 14.6mm.
    b) Minimag (1xAA or 2xAA, the ones that can only take a sammie-sized pill)
    Heigh could be 8mm for the Arc AA if a Cree would be used...

Cheers !

TB, just shipped your order during lunch hour. Thanks!

BBM, thanks for the info!

Hi Minjin, if you can wait the next version will fit in L1P perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RV7 View Post
    TB, just shipped your order during lunch hour. Thanks!

BBM, thanks for the info!
    Excellent!
    Last edited by TranquillityBase; 08-05-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Enlightened

Help Re: Microprocessor controlled 4-mode driver boards - 1AA boards on sale!

I might be a bit slow, but I can't find a confirmation that 3.7V Li-ion boards are available now? Most messages are about the AA boards.
    Frode P. B.

The Norwegian winter require good flashlights...

Last edited by TranquillityBase; 08-05-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: O.T.

Flashaholic*

You're converters look very familiar.

ARC mania

Are you trying to make a point?

$19 for 2 AA boards
    Thanks

Thank you! Shipping on Monday.

Just remembered
    I need 2 more boards
    $16 for 2 more
    $19+$16 total of 4 boards
    Thanks.

Russki, your order has been updated.

Most people will probably receive their boards sometime next week and begin modding lights soon. Here's a note that might be helpful: If you want the end of the battery tube to make electrical contact with the ground (negative) ring on the back of the board, you can use a slotted screwdriver to scrape off the solder mask (green insulating ink) to expose the gold plated copper. Same can be done to the other side so contact can be made to the rim of the light engine housing.

The next version will have unmasked rings, still coated with gold of course.

Edit: Due to the high current and low voltage of 1AA setup, its performance is relatively more sensitive to electric resistance on the battery side. So gold plated springs and switch contacts will help. Don't get me wrong - you can still get good results with normal parts. For example, I kept all the stock parts (spring, switch, etc) in the Elite that's used for beam shots in the OP.
    Last edited by RV7; 07-30-2007 at 12:25 PM.

For two 1AA board of 17.5x8mm without strobe.

Russki x4 shipped
    HgRyu x2 shipped
    Tot17 x2 shipped
    Thanks!

Flashaholic*

I tried to go through the whole thread, but damn that's a lotta info and my brain hurts now.

RV7 - I believe only NiMH drivers have been produced thus far? When do you expect Li-Ion drivers to be ready? I would love several Li-Ion drivers that can source >1A to the LED. Thanks.
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Nuwai: 2x QIII TWOH (Green and Titanium), TM-313X Ti (QV1J DD 14500)
    Surefire: M2+C2-HA+Detonator, E2D, VG FB1+EXe, VG FB3+E2C+C2
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED
    Emergency Kit & Knives Pics - Lights & Knives Pics - Small Knife/Lights

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast