ArmyTek        

View Poll Results: Which board would you like?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1AA NiMH with strobe

33 16.10%
  • 1AA NiMH without strobe

75 36.59%
  • 3.7V Li-Ion with strobe

63 30.73%
  • 3.7V Li-Ion without strobe

78 38.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: FS: Microprocessor controlled drivers

Default Re: Microprocessor controlled drivers - 1AA boards on sale!

As nice as these look and perform, I'm under the impression this is a bit of a beta run and that we will see some really outstanding products from RV7 in the future, time allowing.

Very anxious to see the few I ordered and have a little time to do some modding with them.

I hope everyone post their results and experiences so we can all learn.

ThanX
    X..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

I'm afraid the Li Ion board won't be available until I'm back from UK near the end of August. I apologize for the delay.

It's about time for the delivery of the 1AA boards shipped last week. Good luck with your modding and you're welcome to post your reviews and suggestions here!

Unenlightened

Paypal sent for 2 AA 17.5x8mm boards (yesterday)

Thanks

Flashaholic*

Paypal sent for 1 AA 17.5x8mm board,

Thank You

Got mine today. Looks very nice. A question. Are there any voltage/current limitations for the PWM module? The reason is that there's no way I can fit this driver in some of my lights, it's a bit too high. So one way would be to take off the PWM module pcb and use that with an existing driver.
    Stefan

So our friend across the ocean get it first! This is my first time selling on the internet so I'm quite excited!

Hi Stefan, the PWM module works from 2V to 5.5V. The MOSFET can safely control 1.5A current between the LED- and the ground. To use the module with an existing driver, make sure the driver is okay with an open output circuit. With an open load, some boosters create high voltage and fry themselves.

The next version will not have a separate PWM module and thus will be smaller.

I hope my drivers come today, I'm very excited to try something new.

Enlightened

Almost forgot about these. Just paypaled for 2 of the boards.

Interesting idea StefanFS has. I might end up using the uC for that as my most used light has this combo using a minipro and one of kevins flupigs.

Quote Originally Posted by RV7 View Post
    So our friend across the ocean get it first! This is my first time selling on the internet so I'm quite excited!

Hi Stefan, the PWM module works from 2V to 5.5V. The MOSFET can safely control 1.5A current between the LED- and the ground. To use the module with an existing driver, make sure the driver is okay with an open output circuit. With an open load, some boosters create high voltage and fry themselves.

The next version will not have a separate PWM module and thus will be smaller.
    Thanks for the info. Yes, decreasing the height is a good idea. I had planned to rebuild the led pills in my Liteflux LF1 lights, that wont work, even with spacers. I'll have to wait for your next batch (which hopefully are max 6 mm in height).
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS View Post
    Thanks for the info. Yes, decreasing the height is a good idea. I had planned to rebuild the led pills in my Liteflux LF1 lights, that wont work, even with spacers. I'll have to wait for your next batch (which hopefully are max 6 mm in height).
    Stefan
    Sorry to hear that Stefan.

The next version will be 16x6.5mm, trimmable to 14.5x6.5mm. It should fit in a L1P right out of the box. But it's still a little more than the 6mm you asked for. Maybe a little spacer will work then?

14.5x6.5mm is the minimum size the components can physically fit in. Also soldering the components on is very challenging now. Going any smaller would demand an ASIC, which I doubt any IC manufacturer would be interested in making considering the very limited volume.

I have done something unspeakable to one of the drivers I got from RV7.
    For a long time my father have been eyeing my lights, MRV-Tiablo A8-D-Mini and so on. I haven't introduced my +60 year old parents to the wonderful world of primary lithiums and LiIon cells because I don't want them to burn down their house or get poisoned by hydrofluoric acid fumes from a simple mistake.
    For some time I have had one Ultrafire C2 in my posession, it came to me unwarranted via a shipping mistake. Since I got it I have almost killed it several times, once I wanted to blow it up and stopped at the brink of setting of the explosion.
    I simply took one of the drivers from RV7 and put it in my C2 to make it run on one AA LSD cell (Eneloop, Rayovac Hybrid or Varta Ready To Use).

I needed a way to mount it in the light and a spacer to fill the void left from 18650 LiIon or 2x CR123. I had some copper shims for plumbing laying around, 24 mm high and 16 mm in diameter. Thickness ~1 mm. I used a hacksaw to make some rests for the driver.

I then inserted the copper tube into the light engine pill (by hammer and a piece of wood), after I had removed the original driver.

I then inserted the driver with a small piece of copper wire running from one of the -contact holes going over the edge of the copper tube. Then I soldered everything in place.

And mounted it in the head. Here you see the part that protrudes down into the battery tube acting as a spacer for the AA cell.

I used one CREE Q2 on a mini star that I'm not going to use for anything now that Q5 are available, I attached the mini star with Artic silver thermal adhesive and then I soldered the wires to the contacts on the star.

The original C2 on one 18650 LiIon cell had a throw reading of 4170 Lux, and on 2 x RCR123 it had 4360 Lux with CREE P4.

This monstrosity produces 3200 Lux in throw on one AA Varta Ready To Use (Eneloop).
    I'm absolutely sure my father will like this gift.

Stefan
    Last edited by StefanFS; 08-03-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo.

PP sent for the last four

Got mine today, WOW HOO...I'm seeing spots, these are really nice drivers...I couldn't wait to charge a NiMH, so I bench wired a Cree XR-E to a slightly used alkaline...Awesome, meter says 500 mA at the LED, on high, can't wait for the NiMH to charge.

EDIT: Tried a 1AA NiMH, meter leveled off at 730 mA at the LED, and my Energizers 2500's are ready for the recycle bin...Awesome!

Is the 1.8 volt AA primary compatable with these drivers too?

BTW RV7, thanks for the bonus, and for packing them neatly...they made the trip in perfect condition.

Gotta go play now...
    Last edited by TranquillityBase; 08-02-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Stefan, that's one creative and nice mod! I hope your father will like the light!

TB, the last four are yours. I've never tried a 1.8V AA. My guess is the current at LED will be well over 1A... so try it at your own risk.
    btw the meter reading is usually smaller than the actual current because of the meter's internal resistance.

When used with a size C or D NiMH or Alk, this driver will most probably feed more than 1A to the LED too. So bye bye Li Ion, hello super bright 1xC/D NiMH Mag!

Flashaholic*
    Live: Paramaribo, Suriname, South America / Study: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Nice mod indeed Stefan !!

To be fair, the little bonus mentioned by TB is for those in US who mistakenly paid $5 for shipping.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by RV7 View Post
    Stefan, that's one creative and nice mod! I hope your father will like the light!
    Ditto...Looks excellent Stefan

TB, the last four are yours. I've never tried a 1.8V AA. My guess is the current at LED will be well over 1A... so try it at your own risk.
    btw the meter reading is usually smaller than the actual current because of the meter's internal resistance.
    Awesome, the last four drivers will be put to good use

If a 1.8v lithium primary cell won't harm the driver, that will be a bonus.

Geez, I might have to call in tomorrow, so I can make parts

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    Geez, I might have to call in tomorrow, so I can make parts

Flashaholic

Default Re: Microprocessor controlled drivers

RV7,
    My driver arrived today As I told you in my PM my goal was to beat my Fenix P2D using NiMH. Mission accomplished Details as follows:

Host: dead Fenix L1Dce
    Emitter: Cree Q5 (WG tint is pretty good, very neutral)
    Reflector: McR-19xr

P2D numbers (also using McR-19xr)
    Lux: 1,851
    Light box: 2,000

RV7/Q5/light numbers
    Lux: 2,340
    Light box: 2,250
    To be fair the numbers dropped to 2,020 and 2,100 respectively after about 10 minutes but NiMH still beats primary lithium. Amazing.

Thanks for the great driver

I seem to have missed the boat on these.

Any word on when next batch of 1 AA NiMH driver boards will be available?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by discoverEDC View Post
    RV7,
    My driver arrived today As I told you in my PM my goal was to beat my Fenix P2D using NiMH. Mission accomplished Details as follows:

Host: dead Fenix L1Dce
    Emitter: Cree Q5 (WG tint is pretty good, very neutral)
    Reflector: McR-19xr

P2D numbers (also using McR-19xr)
    Lux: 1,851
    Light box: 2,000

RV7/Q5/light numbers
    Lux: 2,340
    Light box: 2,250
    To be fair the numbers dropped to 2,020 and 2,100 respectively after about 10 minutes but NiMH still beats primary lithium. Amazing.

Thanks for the great driver
    WOW, what was the run time?
    Thanks,
    Mike

When used with a size C or D NiMH or Alk, this driver will most probably feed more than 1A to the LED too. So bye bye Li Ion, hello super bright 1xC/D NiMH Mag!
    Would it be possible to make a 3 or 4 emitter mag C or D using one of your drivers per emitter?
    That would be great.

I just put one of these drivers in my Eastward YJ U2 style from DX. For this one I'm using the Sanyo 4100 mAh 4/3A NiMH cell. The cell has the same dimensions as my AW 18650. 18 mm in diameter and 67 mm in height. It fits in my Vanson Speedy Box charger!
    With this driver on one 1.2 Volt NiMH cell my light outperforms its former self, when it was on 18650 LiIon. It throws 4800 Lux at one metre, on 18650 LiIon it threw 4700 Lux. It still has an CREE P4 led. That means the led get more than 1A with a bigger NiMH cell.
    Stefan

Damn! I lost track of this thread and now you are all sold out!! I need to go sulk....

I just tested another work in progress. Lumapower F1 1AA. This has an SSC P4 USVOI in it and before the new driver it threw 850 Lux @ one metre. Now, with this driver in it it throws 2200 Lux @ one metre.

RV7, I hope you really make more of these, and in many different sizes since they seem to work in so many different size/type lights.
    Stefan

Thanks for sharing your creativity, excitement and numbers!

Congratulations to discEDC!

Stefan, you're the man! I'll try to provide the improved AA drivers asap. Yes bigger batteries have smaller internal resistance and thus can provide higher voltage under load.

Essexman, driving 3 emitters with only one C or D may be a little too harsh on the battery?

btw TB, did you go to work today?

Quote Originally Posted by davenlei View Post
    Damn! I lost track of this thread and now you are all sold out!! I need to go sulk....

me too...........
    i need at least 4x14.8x9.5mm with strobe that runs on 1xAA nimh
    Last edited by nanotech17; 08-04-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Last edited by TranquillityBase; 08-05-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: O.T.

Won't be long, I hope...
    Last edited by TranquillityBase; 08-05-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: O.T.

Hey TB,

care you share how you drew those perfectly round circles?
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast