Knife Laws in Australia??

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Do any Aussies know what the knife laws are in NSW?
I would like a small spyderco, but think theyre basically always
deemed illegal! Drives me nuts!

If anyone could help me it out it'd be great!! :thumbsup:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened to the "That's not a knife! THAT is a knife!" ??
:shrug:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast

Robatman

Newly Enlightened

I skimmed through this but couldnt figure out if my EDC knives are illegal...
I keep a Schrade multitool in the car, and a SAK in my pocket or bag some days.

It seems to me they are more concenrned with assisted opening knives... I'm looking into this as one of my next buys!!! not so sure now.

I guess at the end of the day, legal or not, this is enforced by police who for the most part are very reasonable. I cant imagine a scenario/time when i would be searched by police. I dont carry a knife when i go out at night or to the footy (go the sharks!!) etc.

Robert

donn

Newly Enlightened
When I was over there last year I was told that ALL folding blades, whether locking or slipjoint, are illegal to carry in a public place in NSW. UNLESS the blade was part of what I think is legally termed a ?'toolkit knife'. In other words a multi-tool, eg, leatherman, gerber, SAKs etc.
It was a volunteer fire officer who told me so I guess they knew what they were talking about. They also said though that in the rural areas and smaller towns so long as you act sensibly and keep things discreet people carry what they like in terms of folding knives. I saw people openly using knives (fishermen, farmers, sports folks) that would cause most Brit cops to have kittens but as they had a legit purpose and weren't being silly no one looked twice.
Refreshing to a Brit I can say.

D.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
When I was over there last year I was told that ALL folding blades, whether locking or slipjoint, are illegal to carry in a public place in NSW. UNLESS the blade was part of what I think is legally termed a ?'toolkit knife'. In other words a multi-tool, eg, leatherman, gerber, SAKs etc.
It was a volunteer fire officer who told me so I guess they knew what they were talking about. They also said though that in the rural areas and smaller towns so long as you act sensibly and keep things discreet people carry what they like in terms of folding knives. I saw people openly using knives (fishermen, farmers, sports folks) that would cause most Brit cops to have kittens but as they had a legit purpose and weren't being silly no one looked twice.
Refreshing to a Brit I can say.

D.
Amen..... I am in the RAF here in old Blighty, and my EDC at work is a Spyderco Military, and very nice it is too. I think the heaviest task I have used it on to date is emptying sandbags following a NATO excercise in Cornwall a year ago or more. Hold sandbag over target, slash base of sandbag with Spydie Mil.... It REALLY took the edge off the knife, more than anything else ever! (abrasive sand and hessian sandbags). I had to wash the sand grains off in a water bucket, but the knife is now sharp as ever, after some TLC on my Lansky kit !

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
Okay, time for my two bob's worth on this one...

For starters, I'm more familiar with Victorian laws than NSW, but I thought they were similar. Australian knife laws are NOT the same as the UK - In the UK a pocket knife is illegal to carry if it locks open which is not the case here (again, I'm talking Victoria specifically). Also, there is a 3" blade length limit in the UK which does not apply in Oz.

The basic premise in Australia is that you must have a legitimate reason for carrying one - which includes needing it for work but NOT for self defence. Now, I'd argue that a pocket knife is useful for most jobs, but that's another story - if a cop decided you look dodgy the onus would be on you to prove your legitimate reason - I don't know if "I open my mail with it" would be good enough - there is nothing in the regulations about how you must use the knife at work for it to be acceptable.

Sadly, the best advice is "don't carry anything that looks mean!" (so the 3" length rule is worth sticking to, even though there is no mention of length in the regulations) - and don't be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time! :sick2:

When I was living in the UK, I nearly had my UK Model Spyderco (which is a lovely thing and entirely LEGAL in the UK) confiscated when boarding the Eurostar because it looks mean - I wish Spyderco had printed "UK Model" on it - that would have saved some stress! I was also carrying a 2 bladed "gentlemans" knife which didn't concern them in the least and neither did my Leatherman Charge (with two 3" locking blades and therefore technically illegal). Similarly, I visited many museums etc where security was tight - my Swiss Army knife never raised an eyebrow (it was usually surrendered to security and returned when leaving the building). Perception is a big thing!

Assisted openers - for sale over the counter and not specifically mentioned (in the Victorian regulations at least) so they're legal - but they look mean when you open them so be careful where you use them.

Flick knives, which are banned everywhere and considered the spawn of Satan are, in all honesty, only banned because the bad guys use them in movies! They are no more dangerous or sinister than any other knife - but it's the perception. In the 18th century, an attempt was made on the life of the king of France. A ban on flick knives followed where the penalty for having one was execution! Of course, the knife used in the assassination attempt was NOT a flick knife!

There is a LOT of misinformation around about knife laws - people get rather carried away with things. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've been told "new laws have come in banning knives" - what bullshit! However it does pay to do a little research and be sure of the details. I'd be amazed if there was a problem with Spyderco knives in NSW (unless they've gone with the ridiculous "must not lock open" strategy which defies logic :thinking:) - however, some Spydercos DO look anti-social, and those are best avoided if you're concerned about problems with the law.

Hope that's some help!

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
As far as ownership goes (not public carry)... I've bought a number of Kershaw Speed Safe assisted openers from the US - Australian customs doesn't have a problem with them. I also brought a large kukri back from the UK (15" blade) - no problems.
Double edged knives and swords are another issue (which again comes down to perception!):mecry:

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
I'm an American married to an Australian and I don't think I'd want to pack a knife anywhere in Sydney.

I do however carry a Victorinox Swisstool RS multitool on my belt regularly and the only occasions any NSW police ever approached me all they wanted to do was to check my train ticket.

Not sure if it is their policy to ignore that or if they were just ignoring it because I'm not an Aussie.

Richard

faco

Enlightened
Got home last night from work and what do I see..........a parcel with a lovely Chris Reeve Mnandi Pocket Knife inside.
I was glad it passed through customs and only noticed a red circle ???? marked around the description of contents. They described the item as a Gentleman's pen knife. Not sure why they marked it, but the box wasn't opened :)
I have been collecting small, under 3" pocket knives for many years and still have no idea what the law here in Victoria says about knives, every time I read about knife laws it never is clear to me.
The Mnandi has a blade length of 2.75" or 69.5mm so I think It should be ok for pocket carry.

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
Got home last night from work and what do I see..........a parcel with a lovely Chris Reeve Mnandi Pocket Knife inside.
I was glad it passed through customs and only noticed a red circle ???? marked around the description of contents. They described the item as a Gentleman's pen knife. Not sure why they marked it, but the box wasn't opened :)
I have been collecting small, under 3" pocket knives for many years and still have no idea what the law here in Victoria says about knives, every time I read about knife laws it never is clear to me.
The Mnandi has a blade length of 2.75" or 69.5mm so I think It should be ok for pocket carry.

One of the problems with discussions about knives is that newspapers love to sensationalise things - getting the facts right isn't usually a big consideration. :sick2:

For VICTORIA, The laws with regard to ownership aren't all that restrictive. I think there are some issues with double edged knives, a number of flick-knife type and martial arts knives and recently swords became a problem (they're so easy to conceal!), but most "normal" knives are fine. And my experience is that the customs guys aren't "out to get you" - just doing their job.
With regard to CARRYING knives, the main proviso is that you have a legitimate reason for doing so. Self defence is NOT - and I repeat - NOT a legitimate reason - never let anyone trick you into saying you would use a knife to defend yourself. However needing it for your work IS a legitimate reason - of course, if the smelly brown stuff hit the rotary device, proving that you need it for work would be up to you.
Unless the laws have changed recently, there is NO restriction on blade length, even though nearly everyone seems to think there is (maybe with double edged knives?) - having said that, I wouldn't advise being caught carrying the proverbial "9 inch semi-automatic chainsaw" type of knife! As a fellow fan of sub 3 inch blades, I think that's a sensible thing to carry. And preferably not a "tactical" looking knife - this isn't law, but it's best to avoid attracting attention!
With regard to your red circle - customs does take notice of what comes through, but they only open the stuff they think might be a problem - I've had a few things opened for inspection - and I think it's quite possible that people who frequently buy knives from overseas may end up with their name on a list and have their stuff opened more often - but it's no big deal, just slows delivery a bit.

The Australasian Knife Collectors website is worth a look, and a bit of Google searching should find a copy of the Control of Weapons Act for Victoria - which is worth looking at - try to find a recent version.

Hope that's some help.
My Disclaimer: I'm pretty well up with the Victorian laws - but don't take my word for it... do your own research if you're going to carry a knife!

I'd like to check out that collection :naughty:

Cheers..

faco

Enlightened
Thanks for your reply & Info Dr_Lumen,

I placed another order for a small CASE knife last night, lets see if this one gets the famous "red circle".

I have the Australasian Knife Collectors website bookmarked and also a few others. Anyone subscribe to Knives Australia Magazine ? go for it, its a great read :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help Mate, When I get some time I'll take a photo of my small collection for ya

faco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think in Austraila the knife laws are the same as the UK.

You will be ok to carry a non-locking knife that has a non aggressive looking blade, so no spydie edges, :D that is sub 3" in length.

A Spyderco UK penknife would be a good buy.

With out sounding dumb what do u mean non locking?

Flashlight Enthusiast
i live in the US and have always wanted to go to Australia and England and wanted to know the laws on knives. I would figure in australia knives would be ok. In the US its only legal to carry a knife thats is no bigger than the palm of your hand, though i dont carry an assited opener on me in public unless at work.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
With a quick search the NSW laws look very similar to Qld laws, meaning there are some restrictions on the type of knives that you can own, and almost a complete restriction on carrying them in public without good reason. Here is a link to some NSW legistlation i found

NSW Summary Offences Act Section 11C

Similarly here is the relevant Qld Legislation

Qld Weapons Act Section 51

From my readings of the links that Glen mentions and these one below certain types of knives are illegal to own, not just possess in NSW also.

Read section 7 and schedule 1 of

NSW Weapons prohibition act

Last edited: