ArmyTek        

Thread: Fenix LxD/P2D boost driver revealed. 7/16: more (good) pictures of inside the driver.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buttrock Fenix LxD/P2D boost driver revealed. 7/16: more (good) pictures of inside the driver.

Well qip sent me his murdered LxD head. The little wires dropped through the hole and were unrecoverable. So, I asked qip for the head so I could try to get the circuit out and maybe do some testing. So...after an hour or so thinning out metal with a dremel and giving myself a couple blood blisters when trying to bend little bits of metal out of the way of the PCB - I extracted the LxD/P2D boost module intact. Here are the pictures:

I am going to go to work with some toothpicks and such to get the red goo out of the way before the next pics - but wow, I have to say, Fenix does not want users servicing their own lights. I can't imagine how anyone could get this thing out intact without killing the head as we did.

More to come.
    Last edited by wintermute; 07-16-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Anyone wonder what a Fenix LxD/P2D boost circuit looks like?? (pics inside)

Red goo looks like it would make the PCB pretty moisture proof - and maybe provide a little shock protection as well...

Loss of "user" serviceability is a pretty reasonable tradeoff for improved reliability, from the view of the manufacturer.

Default Re: Anyone wonder what a Fenix LxD/P2D boost circuit looks like?? (pics inside)

Good job getting that bad boy out of there must have been fun

Enlightened

It would be great if you could measure it's efficiency in different modes.

Also would be interesting to see what boost converter and microcontroler they are using?

Any tips on getting rid of the red goo? Does heat work to soften it up??

As far as the testing goes - my testing will have to be limited at this time, simply because I am preparing to move and have already started packing up some of my workshop stuff - but I am going to send the driver to RV7 for further testing, since he is in the process of buiding a similar driver himself, and has all of the testing equipment required to really get into this thing I believe.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jarzaa View Post
    ...Also would be interesting to see what boost converter and microcontroler they are using?
    I don't KNOW, but I betcha Fenix has sanded off the ID numbers on all their chips to keep this information proprietary.

And it's nothing against CPF - they would do it to prevent other manufacturers from copying their exact circuitry (whose excellent performance and efficiency helps Fenix command a higher price) when they design their Fenix clones.

Buttrock Re: Anyone wonder what a Fenix LxD/P2D boost circuit looks like?? (pics inside)

Here is a top view of the circuit:

And the bottom of the circuit:

EDIT: Any information regarding the operation of the driver will not be divulged any further - to respect the R&D of Fenix, I will not post any information regarding the reverse engineering of the light. The only thing which will be made public will be the efficiency numbers of the light - nothing else.

It's almost impossible to be able to see any of the chips due to the stacked configuration of the driver. I suppose if I de-soldered the board I could see more, but it seems like the main microprocessor board on the bottom also has a layer of black epoxy (hence to prevent identification of the processor and hence copying of the circuit).

All in all, what a great looking board. I am interested to see efficiency specs and such as soon as I sent it to RV7 for some real testing of the efficiency.
    Last edited by wintermute; 07-16-2007 at 09:42 AM.