River Rock K2 LED Lantern

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Just spotted this at flashlightnews. Seems a little late to the game using a K2 LED, but might be nice if emitter can easily be swapped.
http://flashlightnews.org/spotlight7002.shtml

River Rock K2 LED Lantern
The efficiency and brightness of the newest generation of light emitting diodes (LEDs) is creating a revolution in compact, lightweight, yet extremely bright lanterns...and the River Rock K2 Lantern is certainly no exception. This tiny powerhouse features two brightness settings, a flashing mode, and a small green 'locating' indicator to remind you where it is when it's off.
Straight-forward in its operation, the light's multiple settings are available through a single push-button activation switch located on the front side of the lantern. With a durable design that incorporates rubber end caps, an aluminum body, and water resistant seals, the River Rock K2 Lantern is suitable for outdoor use in very demanding environments. And becomes a useful wide-area flashlight by simply unscrewing the top cap.
Features:
Philips Lumileds Luxeon® K2 LED rated at 85 lumens*
Aluminum body and rubber end cap construction
Run time (High): 5 hours maximum light, 16 hours useful light
Run time (Low): 35 hours
Run time (Flashing): 35 hours
Run time (Locator Beacon): 2 years (flashes every 5 seconds)
Operates on three AA Alkaline batteries (included)
Weight: 7.0 ounces (with batteries)
Water-resistant
Removable top cap for conversion to flashlight
Includes carabiner clip for convenient hanging
Dimensions: 5.1 inches high, 2.1 inches diameter
Price: $19.99 at Target Stores
*Rated lumen output from the LED as stated by the manufacturer, actual lumen output may vary.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Bought the Egear equivalent. It is bright and compact. Haven't done a runtime test but so far no complaints. Brighter than an older River Rock single led lantern I have. Nice little light so far.

swat513

Newly Enlightened
In early January 2008, there was a big storm and all rock River K2 lanterns were sold out at the Target stores in my area and they have not restocked.

At http://www.priceparts.com they have the Lingo K2 LED Travel Lantern Blue at $19.49 plus shipping, which looks the same as the Rock River. and the e gear K2 lanterns. I could not wait, so a ordered the Lingo K2 lantern. Works good and is very bright when put on the high setting.

clg0159

Enlightened
I love this lantern. I have the RR version and find it to be a great companion on backpacking trips (who really wants to wear a headlamp all night)

festiva91

Newly Enlightened
picked up one today, it sucks, green led doesn't work, the top cap you unscrew to make a flashlight is glued on, not a good purchase at all :(

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I bought this lantern last night at Target along with a blue Inova Microlight (3rd one). Went there looking to see if they had any new Inovas and found the RR K2 lantern. Took it home and compared it to my Coleman Micropacker LED lantern (yellow) and my big rechargeable Coleman fluorescent lantern. The RR is very bright. I'd say close to my big Colman and totally blows away the Micropacker. Im giving my Micropacker to my daughters.

It doesn't have as smooth of a light pattern as my big Coleman but it really doesn't bother me for the amount of light you get from a lantern 1/8th the size.

Compared to my friend's Coleman Exponent Packaway 4AA lantern, the RR is a bit larger, about as bright, doesn't fold down and has a smoother light pattern.

As far as festiva91 comments, I don't know what he is talking about. I don't think it was designed to be used as a flashlight. I have pleny of other lights for that task :). That said, my top cap was not glued and unscrews fine and my green indicator works fine.

What I like:
very small, very bright, 2 levels, good runtimes, flashing mode, small green indicator light flashes every 5 sec. to locate it in the dark easier (I wouldn't store it for long periods that way though as it will leach your batts), O-rings top and bottom looks weather proof and most likely dunkable, rubberized top and bottom caps, comes with a small carabiner so you can hang it in a tent or on your backpack, seems solidly built, uses 3xAA, looks to be easily hackable/upgradeable.

What I didn't like:
plastic clip to attache carabiner to lantern is weak and flimsy (replaced it with a small split-ring, light color not good for 'mood' lighting, Not a smooth light pattern (but acceptable),

Recommendation:
Yes, I would recommend this LED lantern to anybody looking for a small, bright lantern for backpacking, camping or other things where size and portablity is important but light performance is not compromised.

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had this lantern laying around I purchased in 2008. I dropped in an xpl emitter and probably doubled the brightness. Its always nice to mod something with "old" LED technology and bring it back to life!