Zebralight H50 Q5 Headlamp Review!!!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my two Zebralight H50 Q5 headlamps today and couldn't wait until nightfall to take some beamshots for a review!
I will start off by saying that both lights have truely identical output. Comfirmed by both my eyes and my digital camera. So don't worry about getting a dud.
The light itself has really nice finish, smooth threads, and feels sturdy considering how lightweight it is.
It comes with the the headband and attachment, an extra attachment by itself, another attachment that is connected to a draw string (not sure what it's really for?), a clip so you can clip the light to your pocket, and a little device that is used to block out the glare from the beam. All of the attachments are the same and are all glow in the dark. Not your normal weak glow in the dark like the glow in the dark tailcaps on some current models. These things REALLY GLOW! I'm not sure for how long but wow they are bright!
The one downfall I can find so far is that the light is not all that tight when sitting in the headband attachment. It can spin around if there is too much movement. I'm sure someone on here will figure out a easy way to solve this problem, but before then I have to say it is a downfall.

On to the pics. The first pic shows the light (without headband) compared to a Fenix P2DCE. You can see that it is incredibly small! The second pic is the beam on low, followed by medium, and then high. You can see that the levels are spaced pretty far apart unlike many lights on the market. I had a hard time capturing what I saw in person. All modes are quite a bit brighter than these pictures represent. I could easily navigate my basement in the low mode (it was actually quite bright) but it looks nearly pitch dark in these pictures. So keep this in mind if you think that the pics don't make the light look very bright.
IMG_0991small.jpg

IMG_0993small.jpg

IMG_0994small.jpg

IMG_0995small.jpg

Pros:
Amazing flood beam!
High output on high, and low output on low
Great fit and finish
Super lightweight

Cons:
Light could possibly shift in the headlamp attachment while running/jogging or intense trail climbing.

OUTPUT
I just got done taking some overall output readings of my Zebralight H50 Q5 a few minutes ago, here they are:

Low = 9 1.8
Medium = 58 11.6
High = 354 70.8

With my lightbox I found a reasonable formula to get approximate lumens. Just divide my overall number by 5 and it will be very close to the amount of lumens coming out of the front of the light. I have tested this with all of my lights and I'm confident that it is very close to exact, and if anything I think it will project a slightly low number. With that said here are the lumen ratings for the different levels:

Low = 1.8 lumens
Medium = 11.6 lumens
High = 70.8

You can see that my lumen figures are very close to what the manufacturer claimed for this light. They are very slightly under their claims on the low and medium settings and slightly over on the high. Either way it does show exactly how much brighter each setting is from the one before it, and gives a rough idea as to how much light it is putting out.

Is there a light on the market (cheap hopefully) that is proven to be EXACTLY a specific lumen amount? I don't care how bright or dim it is as long as it is basically guaranteed to be an exact amount. I figure if I can find a light like this it will make it possible for me to get a near perfect formula for testing all of my lights.

Last edited:

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi AD,

Thanks for the great pics.That is one amazing little light.I am soooo sorry I had to remove myself from the Q5 presale list.But how could I pass on a half price FireLion?

Anyway,just one question.Does the emitter dome stick out or is it flush with the body?

Andy

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi AD,

Thanks for the great pics.That is one amazing little light.I am soooo sorry I had to remove myself from the Q5 presale list.But how could I pass on a half price FireLion?

Anyway,just one question.Does the emitter dome stick out or is it flush with the body?

Andy

Your welcome. Don't worry about removing yourself from the Q5 list, because Zebralight is doing another run of Q5 bin H50's. So you can get yourself one afterall. I wouldn't be able to pass on a half price Firelion either (who would?). :laughing:

The answer to your question is kind of hard to describe. The dome DOES stick out a little, but it doesn't go past the tube of the body. Right before the dome of the LED the body indents slightly which makes the top of LED just slightly below the tube of the body.

I'd expect some pretty cool lights from Zebralight in the future. They are very responsive and actually value user input. A+ so far.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Hi Daniel,
Sorry to hear your Zebra hasn't arrived. I'm using mine every night clipped into the neckline of my shirt. So light in weight I sometimes forget it's there.

Woke up this morning and my wife asks - "What's that?!" - then she starts laughing. I fell asleep with the Zebra clipped to my PJ's:duh2:

I've been using the clip in the inverted position - tip pointed toward the head - and it works great. Grips thinner fabrics well in this mode.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi AD,

Thanks Again!

Andy

Your welcome. Don't worry about removing yourself from the Q5 list, because Zebralight is doing another run of Q5 bin H50's. So you can get yourself one afterall. I wouldn't be able to pass on a half price Firelion either (who would?). :laughing:

The answer to your question is kind of hard to describe. The dome DOES stick out a little, but it doesn't go past the tube of the body. Right before the dome of the LED the body indents slightly which makes the top of LED just slightly below the tube of the body.

I'd expect some pretty cool lights from Zebralight in the future. They are very responsive and actually value user input. A+ so far.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Mine arrived today, came via USPS (signature required). I was quite surprised how small it was; it's quite a bit smaller than my Rayovac 1AA headlamp. The low is really LOW which is what I've been looking for in a headlamp for a long time. The low or medium should make a great reading light while camping. The high can really light up a wide area.

Came with a several accessories: A flexible rubber hood for the lens, a nice wide headband, a metal clip, a neck lanyard, an extra GID holder, and 2 extra 'O' rings. Here's 2 comparison photos between the ZL and a Rayovac 1AA headlamp:

IMG_0480Small.jpg

IMG_0479Small.jpg

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one downfall I can find so far is that the light is not all that tight when sitting in the headband attachment. It can spin around if there is too much movement. I'm sure someone on here will figure out a easy way to solve this problem, but before then I have to say it is a downfall.
This was my only gripe about this light :(, yet I wanted someone to confirm it first. The beamshots more than make up for it though :twothumbs,good job. I hope to get in on the next Q5 run.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer

This can be overcome by adding a thin layer rubber 'paint' on the holder and/or the light

Grubbster

Enlightened
It lacks punch hope the Lion versions are brighter.
I got mine yesterday, and I must say this light is very bright! It lacks "punch" because that is not it's design. It has more flood than the Mississippi River! :crackup: That is why I purchased it. It is great for a distance of about 30 feet, not just in front of you though, but all around.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It lacks punch hope the Lion versions are brighter.

While I agree a Lithium Ion version would be brighter I'm not sure I feel all that safe with a Lithium Ion attached to my freaking head!!! :eek:
Imagine if it happen to go bang while you were wearing it. OUCH! I'd be even uglier than I already am. LOL

As I said in my first post the pictures are no where near as bright as the light actually appears in real life. I think this is because the light lacks throw and I am used to taking pictures of lights that have quite a bit of throw. In person this thing is VERY VERY bright on high!
No complaints here.

Last edited:

Sonus

Newly Enlightened
Okay - I want one of these lights. Can someone supply a link to a dealer or the manufacturer. I have no idea where to get one.
Thanks

Daekar

Enlightened
I got a chance to use my Q5 Zebralight outside as task-lighting for the first time tonight and I'M IN LOVE! It was perfect, the all-flood beam is... perfect! No hotspot to destroy your night-vision, everything is even, it ends up looking like there is actually more light being output than there is! My Dad bought one, but I may give a few of these as Christmas gifts, I'm so impressed.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great little review. It doesn't look like it's lacking anything. Even the price is fair. I may have to pull the trigger on this finally.

Last edited: