RMSK, Inc.        
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

Default ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

Continuation of Part 1.

With a name like ZebraLight . . . .

Wouldn't you expect the strap to be adorned with

STRIPES, rather than SPOTS ? !

Hey, i tried the black-rubber "light-shade" last night.

That gizmo works GREAT !

Now i can have the light aimed "down" in front of me,
    and yet still avoid getting a nasty glare in my eyeglasses.

Good thinking, ZebraLight !

BTW:

When i'm using this on HIGH, and the battery can no longer maintain that load,
    does it then "shut-off", or simply drop to a dimmer mode ?

_
    Last edited by B@rt; 01-19-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added link to part 1

Wink Re: ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post

When i'm using this on HIGH, and the battery can no longer maintain that load,
    does it then "shut-off", or simply drop to a dimmer mode ?

_
    It will step down and eventually go into direct drive. When it almost shuts down it flashes.
    Last edited by B@rt; 10-27-2007 at 04:47 PM.
    BART

Default Re: ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

I just used mine for the first "real" time.

I put in an alkaline I had on my desk, went outside at dark and started a fire with my 5yo. We then gathered wood, cut a good green stick, and roasted marshmellows. He decided it was time to go in and play with toys. I got two tiny filet mingon I been waiting to cook, cut some stakes to drive in beside the fire, proped the grill "tripod style" over the fire, cooked and ate my steaks.

High faded some time during that first steak. I just kept eating (man that red meat was good!)

I chunked the alkaline, put in a fresh NiMH, came in here, and started typing.

I was using the "shade" and the "clip/upside down" on the brim of my baseball cap. Worked pretty good. Easy one handed operation in this configuration. I have zero complaints, and will be using my new H50 Alot!

Kyle

Not sure when I will use mine again. I can't find the darn thing. I thought I put it in my backpack to bring it to work to show a co-worker who also likes flashlights. But it's not there and it's not anywhere else I look. Oh well. Usually when I misplace something like this, it eventually turns up, but sometimes not for a long while (I had an old m*g solitaire that was lost inside a chair for YEARS). So I hope my h50 turns up soon.

Enlightened

Glad to see somebody else lost theirs. Mine didn't work at first so I asked Zebra light to send me another. After another day and a few new batteries it started working just fine. I used it for 2 days and now I lost it. Zebralight has allready sent the replacement, so I guess when it gets here I will be buying another light.

Flashaholic*

The Zebra Light helped me spot something none of my other lights did.

OK... It helped me spot the corroded D-cell in my wireless door bell. The postman tried to deliver my light today, but did not find me at home... except I was at home. After I found the delivery card in my mailbox on the way out I had to find out if the door bell was working. It wasn't, and there was a leaky D cell that had killed it.

I thought leaky batteries were pretty much a thing of the past if you did abuse them or their environment and used good Energizer or Duracells; these happened to be energizers.

Oh well I hope I can repair it. It is only about 2 years old. Original set of batteries. I guess I should have checked on them more often.

So as it is, I won't even see the Zerbra until monday. I'm really looking forward to it.

Check those batteries...
    Last edited by StandardBattery; 10-27-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typos

I'm hesitating to jump on this bandwagon for one main reason -- I don't generally backpack alone. When using Tikka+ headlamps, it's a nuisance when one person inadvertently points it directly at another's face, so we try to avoid doing that. It seems to me that it might be annoying to have another person's light shining in your direction just about all the time, which would be the case if everyone had a Zebra.

Worse yet, I'd think, would be to have someone beside you reading at night with a light like the Zebra.

Does anybody have any experience so far with having two or more people using them in close proximity?

c_c

I know what are you talking about. I think it could be a problem (but as you said - it's the same on Tikka headlamps).
    One good thing is that you can easily turn the headlamp, you could turn it so that it points up (and with the glare shield). So if you are going to talk to someone, you could just point the headlamp to the sky... This isn't possible with a Tikka (as you can't turn the headlamp 360° inside the bracket).
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

As someone who has done a lot of group night hiking I know exactly what you mean. What it comes down to is those who wear headlamps have to remember not to look directly at others to talk.

Something which might help is using the pocket clip with the H50 instead of the headband. At least then the light wont be directed at somebody elses face when turning to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    I know what are you talking about. I think it could be a problem (but as you said - it's the same on Tikka headlamps).
    One good thing is that you can easily turn the headlamp, you could turn it so that it points up (and with the glare shield). So if you are going to talk to someone, you could just point the headlamp to the sky... This isn't possible with a Tikka (as you can't turn the headlamp 360° inside the bracket).
    I was concerned about what it would be like doing normal camp activities, and not particularly worried about what it would be like talking to someone. The Tikka+ isn't a problem unless someone looks (that is, points his/her head) directly at you. But I'm afraid the Zebra, with its much broader pattern, would be glaring at you even when the other person is looking in other directions, as each of you go about normal activities.

c_c

It will shine in others eyes, but because of the nature of the beam (diffuse) it is not the same as a focused beam. It is annoying but not hurtful, especially on low or medium, which is how it will probably be set in the situation you are refering to. I wouldn't worry about it and say go for the Zebralight.

This is what I have done with my Zebralight. See post #19

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=178502

I think the glare issue won't be too bad if you use the glare shield and keep the light pointed downward.

Btw my H50 turned up under my bed .

Quote Originally Posted by serious sam View Post
    This is what I have done with my Zebralight. See post #19

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=178502

Great idea! I have a Nite Ize headband and that never occurred to me.

I wouldn't worry about blinding people - the lux rating is so relatively low that I can shine it at myself in a mirror in pitch-darkness and the emitter itself isn't a problem, not even if I look directly at it. That is in start contrast to even the flood emitters on my Apex which, in comparison to the Zebralight, aren't floody at all! I think it's the perfect headlamp for group hiking.

I see it as less of an issue of "blinding" than "annoying". I also tried the H50 in a mirror and it is annoying unless you point it downward. But pointing downward is the right thing most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I see it as less of an issue of "blinding" than "annoying". I also tried the H50 in a mirror and it is annoying unless you point it downward. But pointing downward is the right thing most of the time.
    So if someone else is walking around the camp and not looking down, their light will be annoying to me. That's what I suspected, and it looks like the Zebra would be a step in the wrong direction from what we're using now.

c_c

By "downward" I don't mean "lighting nothing but the tops of your feet". When walking around, most people tend to look at the ground directly in front of them, i.e. downward at maybe a 45 degree angle. The H50 is a wideangle flood so tilting it down will still produce good coverage for walking around. I'm not convinced it will be more annoying in this regard than other lights that also have a spill beam. That said, I haven't actually tried it in such a situation. It will be interesting if they make a two led version (one flood and one reflectored).

As I mentioned in my first posting, I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who actually has been in a situation where two or more of these are in use at the same time in close proximity. That would be the situation I'd be in, just about any time I'd be using one.

c_c

Flashaholic

Curious Character

I understand your request for actual experience; speculation is interesting, but not necessarily the same as actual experience.

I just returned from 2 weeks in the South American jungle, doing medical volunteering. My wife and I each used a Zebralight for 15 days, 4-6 hrs perday in the early morning and evening for cooking, camping and medical records work. (Two other people had Tikka-type headlamps in the same setting.)

I plan to post a more extensive review of the lights we used when I have time.

The Zebralight does project its beam so it can shine in others eyes. So do the Tikka-types. I found the focused beam much more annoying and likely to reduce my dark-adaptation than the wider flood of the Zebralight. Plus, it is so easy to turn the ZL upwards to shine directly upward when needing to meet face to face, and this has the advantage of providing some very broad, general, soft lighting to the physical situation.

From 2 weeks field experience, I find the Zebralight MUCH PREFERABLE to the focused beam headlamps. I judge it to be going in the "right" direction rather than in the "wrong" direction compared to focused beam headlamps.

John
    Last edited by photonhoer; 10-29-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks very much!

c_c

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Re: ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

I just tried my Zebra H50-Q5 for the 1st time today. Like it! I think I will eventually love it. I have no problem with any glare without the Glare Guard; I wear glasses and have maybe a little deeper eye sockets than average.

So far I think it's great, I might be buying another as a gift. I'm just waiting to hear back on applicability for the application.

Good Job Zebra Light!
    Last edited by StandardBattery; 10-29-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo

Unenlightened

Hi !

First of all, sorry for my poor english .

I intend to offer a headlamp to my father-in-law as a present for Christmas.

He is a sailor, and enjoys spending night and days on his boat.
    He is currently using a poor headlamp when working on the boat and a powerful xenon torch when trying to locate something far in the sea.
    I guess, that he would appreciate a better headlamp, and the Zebralight seems a very good compromise for him. The headlamp would not be used for sailing, he needs to sail in the dark to have its eyes used to the dark ; the main use would be used mainly to do some maintenance works after sunset , cooking, fishing, reading, etc...
    Of course the ideal lamp would also have the possibility to switch from flood to throw mode in order to locate floating objects in the water or a boat far at the skyline.

The zebralight seems to perfect for my father in law, but i have one concern: "how waterproof is it ?" There is great risk for the lamp tho fall in the water... Is is floating ? Would it survive to such a fall ?

Is there any other good headlamp at reasonable price ?
    The main feature needed are:
    - Headlamp
    - Good Flood
    - High autonomy
    - several levels
    - Waterproof
    - standard batteries only (no CR123 not easily findable in France)
    Optional feature appreciated:
    - Glow in the dark
    - Possibility to switch between flood and throw mode
    - optional red filter

Thank you in advance for your help!

Flashaholic*

@ c_c : I've only seen the Zebralight in dim light conditions, not dark conditions so I can't say for sure but unless you are very close to it [less than 4 ft] I don't think it would be annoying. It also has three levels, so when you will be close you can lower the brightness. It has a very useful beam. I was VERY impressed by it. Because of its small size I think people will always have it with them, either wearing or carrying, when they need it. I find I sometimes take my larger headlamp off in camp for comfort.

@ sorg : Welcome to CPF. I think the Zebralight would be great on a boat. It has a very useful beam for working on things and seeing things close by [less than 5 meters]. The silicone rubber that holds the light to the headband is glow-in-the-dark. On the water you would want to have a handheld torch that throws for looking at things outside the boat. I don't think you would find a single headlamp that could do both things well that isn't very expensive, and it would have to be much bigger and less comfortable to wear than the Zebra. You could attach something to the headband that would make it float if dropped in the water.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LED_Thrift View Post
    You could attach something to the headband that would make it float if dropped in the water.
    +1

It won't float by itself, but it should be easy to attach something.The ZebraLight is waterproof, and it has a very good seal with two snug fitting o rings on the battery tube
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

Unenlightened

Hi, first post on Candlepowerforums!

I got my Zebralight H50 yesterday and just thought I'd make a couple of observations.

Firstly the GITD brackets - as commented they really pick up a glow, I actually charged one up by holding it over a desk lamp and then turned off all the lights and started reading a book by the light coming off the bracket! Try it

Secondly, I have read of someone getting a Zebralight with a distinct green tint from the LED. This is principally why I am posting here because the tint from my Zebralight is an absolutely amazing, warm yellow glow.

I have many LED torches but not one of them is even close in how attractive and natural the Zebralights tint is. It reminds me slightly of an incandescent bulb just as its started to drain its batteries.

So am I lucky or is this tint common?

Anyway, thanks Zebralight, will definately be keeping an eye on you!

I'd say you were lucky - I got a pure white tint.
    I had this luck with my Fenix L1D CE, it's very warm color, really excellent color rendition (better than with a warm white Seoul I have in my Tikka XP).
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Flashaholic

FYI

I have posted a review of the ZL Q5 after two weeks of constant use in the rainforest jungle of Guyana, South America.

This report can be found at "CP>Flashlights>FlashlightReviews>FieldTest on Zebralight Q5" (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=178839)

Enjoy and comment.

John
    Last edited by photonhoer; 10-31-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Was using/testing my new ZebraLight H50-Q5 tonight, while washing dishes.

Had a (by now) well-used Duracell Alkaline cell installed.
    Before i began the dishes, the cell tested 1.27 volts, no load.
    (that's after 24 hours of cell "resting")

Had the ZebraLight set on Medium.

Wanted to see (first-hand) what happens when battery is dying.

After perhaps 40 minutes, the headlamp suddenly went OUT !

NO dropping to Low mode. Just total darkness !

I was indeed surprised.

After perhaps 30 to 60 seconds, the headlamp (surprisingly) came back ON !

But it was much dimmer than before.

Can't even say if it was at "Low-level" output, or maybe even dimmer than that.

Bart stated, in post #2, that:
    "It will step down and eventually go into direct drive."

So, perhaps mine DID end up in Direct-Drive mode.

BUT, only after leaving me in the dark for 30 to 60 seconds.

Is this normal performance ? Just curious.

Does it have something to do with the Q5 emitter's higher Vf ?

BTW, i once again checked the Duracell's voltage,
    20 minutes after the ZebraLight "came back from the dead",
    and i (quickly) got a reading of 1.09 volts, no load.

Anyone have any ideas here ?

Perhaps i shouldn't have been so eager and anxious to get a Q5 emitter ?

All responses are welcomed.

_

Direct drive means there's no voltage boost and the led is just getting the battery voltage. This is what was called moon mode in the days of the Arc LS. The LS ran on a 3 volt cr123a and direct drive meant the battery was down to 2.7 volts or so, enough to still make useful light from a Luxeon. With an out-of-boost 1aa light, direct drive means 1.0 volts or so, which means pitch darkness! Anyway alkalines do recover after a while. I'd have tried turning the light off, waiting a minute, then turning it on low. I do remember Zebralight posting that the low voltage cutout of this light wasn't as spectacularly low as it is for some lights (notably the Arc AAA) but alkalines pretty much suck if you're going to use high mode at all, so except in a pinch, you should always be running this light on nimh or lithium.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast