Ideas for a green lantern ring..

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sure there are comic book fans out there....im sure every flashaholic has at some point wanted green lantern's powering...

i would actually like to make on, i mean, with LED technology now a days, how hard can it be...im thinking a cree xre green lamp, some how soldered to some sort of ring, and, im lost for the battery, suggestions?:thinking:
it would be something serious, not like them plastic things they sell at toy's r us, but a proper ring..
yes i know you could buy one, but the odds of it using a cree are low....

green_lantern_ring_green_lantern_ri.jpg

Green_Lantern-Ring2.jpg

green20lantern.jpg

something along the lines of those live ones, but more like the one in the comic book?
im thinking a LED right where the "glass" part of the Lamp symbol is

Crenshaw

PS: those pictures are from google imgage search, purely to illustrate my point, please do not use them in any other way that might infringe copyright, or whatever..

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
given thought to creating a layer of GITD material above a single UV LED flashlight?
considering the dimensions you wouldn't want to have something the size of a film canister on your ring...so...say cr2016s and a SMT LED?
UV does wonders in doubling the output intensity of GITD and tritium you know ;)
GreenLED will be trilled :whistle:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreenLED will be thrilled :whistle:

lets see if he posts...:whistle:

BUt gitd material wouldnt light anything up ...as for tritium, as safe as it sounds..i dont really like the idea of having radioactive gas on my finger for hours at a time, maybe we can have a few variations, UVled with GITD, and a pure LED one, that will have SOME throw, and useable light...
and maybe even one with a tiny reflector, then it will have real throw...

the problem with batteries is that if they are small, they wont last,and any decent sized one will probably be huge on the ring..unless we found a way to make a battery container the actual disc of the ring itself....and somehow attach the led there?

Tritum would be ideal, but like i said above...dont fancy having a hulk-finger

Crenshaw

Illum

Flashaholic
I slapped something together on autodesk....
dimensions are all wrong, its made as concept

forget GITD or tritium if you want...why not a basic photon design with a green lens and filters where you don't want the light to show?

LED's any low profile SMT that can be slapped onto a pCB and load it in, a little contact spring on the bottom of it will enable it as a twist on twist off.
I'm no engineer, but I suppose someone might come up with something more simple and efficient

the drawing design originated from a light up yoyo :ohgeez:

a rubber strap is need for the ring part
I set my grid to the lowest reasonable scale and drew this up with a cylinder with height .5 inch, width 1.5 inch, looked pretty good but needs a little resizing of parts. like the teal part...the outer ring could be sliced off and pushed in to form a true button

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, thats a good looking concept, and a yoyo, who would have thought...

we could actually just put in a Green Led and not bother with the filter...but i like this idea, now just need to find parts, it shoudl be possible in some way to attach this to a metal band for a ring right?

and is no one else going to post ideas? :(

Crenshaw

Illum

Flashaholic
it was a yoyo that lights up whenever the coil spins to the bottom....then one day it smashed onto concrete and could never make it light up again...took it apart and wow, theres at least 4 different layers each glued in on to of each other...in different colors :)

attaching a ban'd fairly easy, just need to machine a few protrusions on the side of the lower clamshell where the strap can hold on to.
http://www.princetonwatches.com/images/watches/ReactorExploded_view.jpg see the cylinders on the body?

just found this today....
apparently its not something all that new
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Green-Lantern-ring--including-a-glow/

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest something a little different and just go for a nice solid jade ring carved up really stylish. Let good materials and good craftmanship supply the magic.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the brightest day, :D
i did see that instructable, but still posted to see what kind of thoughts people here might have about it, plus a XRE would give out alot more light...

Crenshaw

antanthem

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to be that guy and bring up an 11 year old thread. Anyone recommend the best way to do this, I'm a newb.

I'd like to create a ring that is robust and not cheap like many of the tutorials i found.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1740343

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Green-Lantern-ring--including-a-glow/

I'd like to replicate this: https://www.merchoid.com/product/green-lantern-light-up-ring-replica/
and it be water resistant, and brighter. I know the nitecore tube is very small and capable of 45 lumens, how could I get that into the size of the ring without being bulky?

thanks for the brightest day, :D
i did see that instructable, but still posted to see what kind of thoughts people here might have about it, plus a XRE would give out alot more light...

Crenshaw

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of like it when people dig up old threads and continue on with them.

As far as the ring, a couple of ideas come to mind:
- On bows there are some sights that use fiber optics to capture / accumulate light and bring it to a dot. Perhaps there is a way to use that concept to make it "light up".
- The easiest of course would be to use green glowing tritium vial (s) and mount them in a ring. Not sure about availability these days.
- If you don't mind having a battery pack (example CR2 or CR123 type) sort of hidden in your hand - that can provide plenty of power.
- If you really want the battery to be built into the ring body / setting, then that sort of limits it to a 3 or 5mm type

As far as the ring "body" / setting, jewellers are surprisingly good a making custom rings from fairly simple sketches. They have amazing hand - eye coordination and are pretty fast with turn around if you avoid holidays.