Five Stages of Flashlight Collecting

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Five Stages of Flashlight Collecting:
Infatuation, Justification, Appropriation, Obsession, and Resale...........

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone through the cycle 1.8 times already. I'm at the "obsession" stage of cycle #2.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Resale??

Never! ..... I'd rather give them away to other flashaholics! Some poor, unfortunate, flashaholic is going to be real happy when the Christmas Give-away rolls around again in about 12 months. :D

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insanity might be defined, as

Repeating the same actions and thoughts over and over with the results not changing :mecry:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that resale isn't a true stage. I'd never sell my stuff (without catastrophic financial need at least). Anything I don't want to upgrade or keep for sentimental value I give away.
Gifts, donations, etc. Sometimes a small trinket given as a gesture of good will or friendship can go so far.

I'd rather call it relinquishment than resale. For me it is quite the decision sometimes to let a light go.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Insanity might be defined, as

Repeating the same actions and thoughts over and over with the results not changing :mecry:

Not sure about that definition.... especially if someone runs a business and is great at making money, as the main result.

I have heard that stupidity can be defined as doing the same exact thing 999 times, and actually expecting a different result when doing the same, just one more time.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I thought that was "insanity".

Otherwise sane people, do just that very thing. Like the woman who constantly takes back the cheating husband, every time she catches him cheating. He begs her to take him back, and she does. Once, okay. Twice is sort of pushing it. Three or more times, and you can say to her; "What are you? Stupid?"

Doesn't mean she's insane.... Just stupid.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the expression is "Insanity is defined as repeating the same actions, while expecting different results."

In this spirit, I actually think Insanity should be added to Griff's list. I keep thinking the next light will be the one! :nana:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In this spirit, I actually think Insanity should be added to Griff's list. I keep thinking the next light will be the one! :nana:

Now that's just crazy talk.... You wouldn't expect a key-chain light to do the same job as a Surefire M6. What you want is the "one" in each of several categories. Then you're going to need some redundant capability.... in each category. Then you'll need another one in each category for emergencies. Then another one in each category to keep in various places. For example; home, work, the car, travel-bag.....

When you think about it, it all makes sense. You just need more lights! Nothing insane about that. Nope, nothing at all. :tinfoil:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's true. I was lying. I actually don't think the next light will be the one! :D

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Five Stages of Flashlight Collecting:
Infatuation, Justification, Appropriation, Obsession, and Resale...........

That totally describes how it works for me. I have bought and sold over 15 lights this past year. All were good lights (a couple of great ones)

I see a light, find out everything I can about it here. Think about it for hours/days...decide why I NEED the light. Buy it....and then shortly sell it when something "better" comes out two weeks later.

The only lights I have regretted selling this year are the Pelican 7060, Fenix P3DR100 and my D-mini-SE digital with the 18650 tube. I just bought the D-mini back from the member I sold it too. Again, your discription totally fits.:laughing:

Last edited:

Saiga

Enlightened
Damn, i've only been a CPF member, and therefore a legitimate,diagnosed, flashaholic for a very few months, and i'm already at least two lights into the "re-sale phase".:shakehead

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... I think I'd rename the 5th stage detachment! while some may sell others would prefer to know the light was going to a good home ;)

Being a horder by nature I don't believe I'll ever reach that 5th stage :D