Tactical Flashlight techniques - take two

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Okay - since my original thread got blitzed for some odd reason outside anyones control, I'm recreating the thread, but modding it in a way.

To recap - there was a discussion in which I originally proposed that a thread would be created to show/demonstrate which tactical flashlight holds could be performed with specific flashlights.

This is where I'm going to drift away from my original thread and head it towards something even more generic. My original thread was set up to really only deal with smaller tactical flashlights that have a rear momentary tail switch.

However, there are still some uses for the larger lights that have a side mounted momentary/forward click switch. If I take those into account, the amount of flashlight techniques grow quite a bit.

So - starting off, I'll cover the various techniques split up by the ability to use it with a rear switch versus the side switch, plus some personal (useful) commentary.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I will start off by listing the most commonly known flashlight techniques first. Pictures for each will follow....once I'm able to set up the camera on a tripod and have the wife take pics.

These listed techniques in this post are useable with both rear switch and side switch lights.

1) Harries - One of the classic flashlight methods - this is still popular today. It's taught at most low light tactical classes and is also taught at most police academies.

2) FBI - This is one of the first methods out there. In my view - it's too prone to error; some users can confuse their motor skills too easily and swap positions with their pistol and flashlight.

3) Puckett - Popularized by Brian Puckett but also taught by others, this method gives better control of the light. (This is really an off shoot of the FBI technique, but gives better swiveling of the light and better alignment)

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Next up - Rear switch only methods.

4) SureFire/Rogers. Also known as the cigar or syringe method. This method allows you to have a somewhat two-handed grip on the pistol and still control the light at the same time.

5) Hargraves method - (and I'm sure I'm misspelling it, but I'm doing this from memory right now). This was created by someone from the British Military, in which you're able to control the light in the same plane as the gun barrel. It predates the Thorpe method, but provides a bit less control of the pistol due to less cross tension of the hands.

6) Thorpe method - popularized by Novatac, this method is a mix of the SureFire/Rogers and the Hargraves methods. It keeps the light in the same plane as the gun barrel, but gives you better two handed control of the pistol.

7) Ayoob method - alternate. This method requires you to hold the flashlight in an ice pick hold and press the rear switch against your chest to activate the light.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Finally - side switch only methods.

8) Chapman technique - popularized by IPSC Champion Ray Chapman, this method works best in an isosceles stance. It provides good tension of the hands and the flashlight.

9) USMC - an offshoot of the Chapman technique, this method provides some stability, but not to the degree that the Chapman technique gives. You also get some cutoff of the flood part of the beam thanks to the positioning of the hands.

10) Ayoob method - original. This method is also similar to the Chapman technique, but you don't get as stable of a hand position for the flashlight hand because the light is cradled rather than held with both the thumb and forefinger.

11) Keller method. This method is a variant of the Harries technique, however, it has two major drawbacks. One is that it's useful only with side switched lights. The second is that the arm position of the flashlight hand can interfere with the action of the slide of the pistol, making it a single shot pistol if you have to fire. If your pistol has a low bore/slide axis, you definitely do NOT want to consider this one.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Now, there are other flashlight methods out there. The next two are getting listed, but I don't have enough information nor have I been trained on them or experienced them personally to give any level of commentary.

a) The Graham combat grip method. Supposedly this is being partnered with SureFire. It's a two handed pistol/flashlight method of which I have no other information on.

b) The Woo method. This method had had one article publication - a short blurb in SWAT Magazine in 2006. Not much details other than it works with both pistol mounted lights and unmounted handheld lights.

There are also other methods as well - with some having the pistol and flashlight closer to the core of the body for better weapons and light retention, and some involving right-angle flashlights like the classic military lights and the Tomahawk from First-Light. For the right angle methods, I'll have to bring out my copy of the USMC Pistol Marksmanship manual and it's low light chapter....mainly since I'm not familiar with them at all.

I will be having pictures depicting all of these methods (save for the Graham and the Woo methods) as soon as I can get things set up to do so.

-Steve

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never knew there were so many. Do you know of any techniques that don't involve use of a firearm?

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
A couple - and those came from a defensive tactics class.

Both involve utilizing the flashlight in your weak hand and in an icepick hold. The use of them is primarily with bezels that are crenelated and rear switches that are momentary/twisty only.

Basically, you utilize the flashlight as a small strike device and still allow yourself the flexibility to rubber stamp someone's head, use it to flash their eyes, or integrate it with a second impact device (like a baton) to both flash their eyes and rubber stamp their head with a crenelation and strike with the baton.

This method, of course, is more useful with a E2D or a 6P sized unit with a strike bezel.

-Steve

I never knew there were so many. Do you know of any techniques that don't involve use of a firearm?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Does anyone have any photos of these various holding techniques? An illustrated version would be beautiful.

Well, that's what's going to happen tonight. I'm going to set up a tripod pointed at an empty wall area in my house. I'll set up to where you can see the position in various parts.

For example - with the Keller method, I would be showing it with both a Mag and with the slide back on a rather large pistol (like my Glock 21) so that I can show how the technique (if used improperly) can affect the cycling of the pistol.

-Steve

greenLED

Flashaholic
Well, that's what's going to happen tonight. I'm going to set up a tripod pointed at an empty wall area in my house. I'll set up to where you can see the position in various parts.

For example - with the Keller method, I would be showing it with both a Mag and with the slide back on a rather large pistol (like my Glock 21) so that I can show how the technique (if used improperly) can affect the cycling of the pistol.

-Steve
Excellent! :popcorn:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
All right. Picture Time.

Starting off - Harries.

harries_a.jpg

harries_b.jpg

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Next up - FBI.

fbi_1.jpg

Note how misaligned the flashlight is. This was done on purpose, however, it is easily done. A great deal of coordination is needed to coordinate the flashlight and the pistol at the same time.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
This is the Puckett technique. A variant of the FBI, note that the flashlight is aligned thanks to the proximity to the jawbone.

puckett_a.jpg

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Thorpe Technique. This is done with a SureFire with the OpticsHQ tailcap, and the last pic shows a Novatac 120P with tactical switch tailcap.

thorpe_a.jpg

thorpe_b.jpg

thorpe_c.jpg

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Ayoob Techniques.

The first two shows one variant. This is where the fingers of the flashlight hand contact the fingers of the pistol hand.

The second two is the second variant. This is where the thumbs of the two hands are touching each other.

The third is the alternate method that is compatible with rear switch momentary lights.

ayoob_original_a.jpg

ayoob_original_b.jpg

ayoob_original_c.jpg

ayoob_original_d.jpg

ayoob_alternate_a.jpg

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Chapman method. Thumb contacts the switch of the light. Note that the support/flashlight hand has some fingers wrapped around the primary hand where the pistol is.

chapman_a.jpg