karambit?

cutlerylover

Banned
They are a very nice design for self defense, but not as practical for every day use as a "regular" folder of fixed blade...There are plenty of karambit loverts out there thoguh, and almost every maker has come out with their own version as far as I know besides benchmade...Spyderco has a nice folding one, all stainless steel, and emerson has a few...do a search on youtube for some good videos on how to use them...

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I have an Emerson and a trainer , fun to play with , never carried . If you get one , for sure get a trainer , or you will lacerate yourself severley , take it from one who knows .

On a side note , they look nasty , LEOs dont like em much , which could well mean a bust and/or a hassell . They are with few exceptions ( Emerson Bullnosed , and Comander Karambits ) pretty useless for EDC chores .

To get the best out of them you need at the very least a good video ( Emerson makes one ) , or a good instructor .

YMMV

Chris

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
I have an Emerson and a trainer , fun to play with , never carried . If you get one , for sure get a trainer , or you will lacerate yourself severley , take it from one who knows .

On a side note , they look nasty , LEOs dont like em much , which could well mean a bust and/or a hassell . They are with few exceptions ( Emerson Bullnosed , and Comander Karambits ) pretty useless for EDC chores .

To get the best out of them you need at the very least a good video ( Emerson makes one ) , or a good instructor .

YMMV

Chris
If your EDC is for personal protection I don't think you will find a better knife.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a martial art developed just for slicing an enemy apart with a karambit. Karambits used like they are intended are arguably the deadliest knives there are.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
YouTube it! The Karambit is originally designed to slice through anything in order to cut all arteries its pretty brutal. A seasoned practitioner of this martial art can leave you dead before you hit the ground. Karambits are no joke. Spyderco Civilian is basically a folding Karambit even in the hands of an amateur its straight deadly.

Here is a couple shots of my Civilian. Hope they show up as pics instead of links.

WIN_20150505_042035.jpg

WIN_20150505_042121.jpg

Last edited:

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
The Karambit is but one of several Filipino knife fighting styles. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. If you can hook your opponent's wrist within the karambit's curve, he's going to bleed out in about thirty seconds. However, if you need to stab the karambit is limited. You'll get extremely deep slices with a karambit but punctures through rib cages or vertebrae aren't happening. Karambit's kill quickly through lacerations. Traditional knives kill instantly through deep penetrating stabs. If you have the element of surprise a tanto through the area just under the ear, splitting a the spine, or through the heart are what you go for. Lose the element of surprise and you're into a slicing battle and the karambit is nasty when applied correctly.