What is your favorite LIGHTER?

StuGatz

Enlightened
The thread title pretty much says it all...

What is your favorite fire device? Matches do not apply here (I have my own preferences in that regard) so let's keep it to lighters... the most modern to older versions apply... WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE??? :whistle:

Edited to add (or jump to post #139) for one of my first favorites:

Last edited:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I'm not a smoker, but I do have two lighters that I like, always good to have the ability to make fire on you, never know when it might come in handy

I have a Solo Laser-Tech butane torch for the difficult to light stuff, it stays in my Bugout Bag's firemaking kit (tinder-quik, Swedish Firesteel, Strike-Anywhere matches the SLT torch, and a magnesium brick firestarter), it's a little fussy sometimes and can take a couple clicks to fire up, but it's a decent enough butane lighter

However, I carry with me one of my Zippos, right now I have three, the classic brushed chrome, a Granite painted one (not really happy with this one, it doesn't close flush, and the lighter core is tempermental, I should send it to Zippo for repair) and a brushed brass, the brass one is my favorite, as it's slightly heavier than the chrome one, and has a slightly deeper "klink" when it opens, as long as they're topped off, the Zippos are quite reliable, one to two striker wheel turns and I have fire

Fire GOOOOD!!!

There's just something "timeless" about the Zippo "experience", the clink of the lid opening, the pungent odor of Naptha, the scratch of the striker wheel, the flash of the spark from the flint, the "fwipp" as the flame appears, the dance of the flame in the air, it's comforting, warming glow, and finally, the snap of the cap closing with a flick of the wrist

I remember camping with Dad, back when he used to smoke a pipe, he and his camping freind, Ernie, both of them would always use a Zippo, to light their pipes, to start the campfire, that simple clink brings back fond memories

Dad no longer smokes, Thank Og, and I'm pretty sure he threw out or gave away his Zippo, pity, really, you don't have to smoke to find a Zippo useful

the Solo Laser-Tech is a high tech firestarting system, but it just doesn't have the appeal of the humble Zippo

the Zippo is also unmatched in it's versatility, since it's a liquid fuel lighter, it can burn any combustible liquid, I found that Alcohol (91% Isopropyl) gives a clean, hot blue flame, but it doesn't last too long, it self-extinguishes after a couple minutes, and the flame is short, maybe 3/4" above the chimmney

I just placed an order for another Zippo last night, the #168 Brushed Brass "Armor" lighter, the Armor series has a thicker, heavier case than a standard Zippo, and the brass model especially, will have a nice, satisfying weight to it

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a brushed chrome Zippo that I like. Also have a No-name, blue flame lighter with 2 small LEDs mounted on top.

For hassle-free use, nothing beats a Bic disposeable. (Got one in a personal-sized Emergency kit I put together).

BTW, I don't smoke. So the lighters I own don't get much use.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't smoke but... I edc a Black Crackle Zippo w/ Z-plus Butane Insert. The hinge is wobbly though and sometimes doesn't "click" open, maybe I'll look into an Armor Brass Zippo.

Something about having fire in a little metal box always gets me...that and flicking it open and shut 500 times:D (I would be a GREAT 007 owner I know it!:broke:)

Mayo

PS: AMERICAN MADE!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a brushed zippo i bought a long time ago, its abit deformed from being dropped so many times...but its my fav!

i also have an Armor Chrome one from LH, but i dont use it much, cos its really irritating to consistently have to wipe off finger marks.

Crenshaw

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zippo
The fuel evaporates in a week, but it works when filled, ANYWHERE
Blazer PB207 for a torch

and my IM corona old boy for fancy events
IMG_2957.jpg

e2x2e

Enlightened
Depends :)

Classic and simple: Zippo
Useful: Ronson Jet-Lite
Cheap: Bic
EDC: CountyComm Stainless Steel Peanut Lighter (http://countycomm.com/sslight.htm)

But there ain't nothin' like a Zippo...

Edit: CountyComm raised the price for the Peanut lighter. When I bought it, it was $10. In fact, I ordered one, and they sent me two! A quick call to CountyComm and they said I could keep it :)!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my titanium Zippo, but I don't always use it on a regular basis, and the fuel evaporates in 2-3 weeks time, so I have to refill it often.

I carry one of CountyComms upated "peanut" lighters on a keychain, and it is nice to have around, and the fluid stays put much, much longer due to it being a sealed design with an o-ring.

I also have a bunch of basic plastic Bics both standard and compact stashed around in various places that see moderate use.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always liked the mini bic lighters when I smoked, and still carry one today. The reason I prefered them was you could visibly see your fuel supply, and they are very small and lightweight. I carry enough in my pockets that size counts, and nothing else came close to their size and utility.