AirBike SSCP7 Everlight

julesb

Newly Enlightened
I received my Airbike EverlightSSC P7 headlight through the post today, seven days after purchase.

The Everlight is a Korean made light available from Airbike.kr and is also marketed on EBAY. The manufacturer claims the following specification, cut and paste from the listing:

1.SSC P7 Led light with 3 cells Li-Ion Batteries
2.Color : Black, Blue, Gold, Red
3.Weight : 398g( Light body, bracket and battery )
4. Mode : 4 steps( Low[375lumens] => Normal => Flash => High[670lumens] )
5.Burnning Time : High mode( 670lumens, 3 hours ), Low mode( 375lumens, 5 hours )
6.Batteries : Li-Ion batteries with 3 Cells
7.Charging Time : 4.5 hours
8.Charger : 100Volts ~ 240Volts
9.Bracket : for 25.4mm & 31.8mm

The physical appearance of the light is smart, and its small run CNC origin is obvious - more "Paul's" than "Shimano". The anodising is even coloured and the milling has no burrs.

DSCF0813.jpg

The light is controlled by a small rocker switch on the rear:

DSCF0814.jpg

It is fitted with a deep smooth reflector of about 37mm diameter. The emitter is slightly off centre.
DSCF0816.jpg

When switched on and off the light Cycles (oops) through the following modes: High Low Medium Flash. It appears always to cycle to the next mode irrespective of how long it is left off or how briefly it is switched on.

The clamp allow for mounting on a wide range of bars and appears secure. It is a little shabby in appearance compared to the lamp body and bezel.

The unit is sealed with a single o ring at the lens. There is no seal on the switch or bezel thread although an external o ring shields the join between the bezel and the lamp body.

First impressions of the beam indoors were that it was a little ringy and that you could see the four dies of the emitter within the pattern. In the outside world this is not obvious and I do not think one would notice on a bike. The beam is not tightly focussed and had far less of a hot spot than my P7 MRV. Beamshots will follow. A ceiling bouce test suggest that the output on high is similar to my direct drive MRV P7 with fresh batteries.

The battery pack is a very tidy bundle apparently composed of three 18650 cells in parallel. I do not know if it has a protection circuit. a 4.2v smart charger is included. I have not yet tested the battery life.

Last edited:

julesb

Newly Enlightened
AirBike SSCP7 Everlight - beamshots

Here are shots of the Everlight and for comparison my P7MRV, a 3x SSCP4 Maglite, a Dereelight DI Q% on max and a Wolf Eyes Q5 D26. All shots are taken at 4 seconds, F6.3 ISO 640, with the torches held above and to the left of the camera, directed at the willow tree behind the hen house. The distance to the tree is about 100 feet. My overall impression is of a very MTB friendly beam.

First the Everlight on high:
DSC_0531.JPG

Next the MRV P7:

DSC_0528.JPG

Now the Maglite. It has three SSCP4 each driven at 1A with IMS20 reflectors. Lovely beam isn't it?

DSC_0527.JPG

Now the dereelight:
DSC_0532.JPG

And the wolf eyes:
DSC_0533.JPG

This is the Everlight on medium:
DSC_0530.JPG

And the Everlight on low:
DSC_0529.JPG

The flashing mode is of similar brightness to low mode, flashing briefly once a second.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: AirBike SSCP7 Everlight - beamshots

That looks promising. Linky to the product page, please?

luc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the demonstration !!!
pretty impressive

Phaethon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot julesb!!!!!
Is it possible to measure the led draw in amperes, on each mode? That would make a full review. I didn't quite understood if it has a battery case where you can easily swap the cells , or it's a sealed block.

julesb

Newly Enlightened
I can't see a way to measure the current, unfortunately, as the battery block is sealed and the connector does not lend itself to being tapped.

julesb

Newly Enlightened
Here is the battery:
DSCF0819.jpg

I have removed the original mounting hardware from the lamp body and sealed it with screws (and threadseal):
DSCF0817.jpg

Then I mounted it using a twofish lockblock. This uses velcro instead of a bolt so it is quicker to swap from bike to bike.
DSCF0818.jpg

Last edited:

chris_m

Enlightened
Looks pretty good for a commercial bike light at that price. Shame about the rubbish UI - who want's to cycle through 3 modes to get from low to high using a toggle switch (with 3 off states in between)?

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened
julesb, thanks much for the posts, writeup and beamshots. Very nice! Seems that this light solidly sets a new pricepoint for this type of output level. Looks like there are some work-able issues that could be addressed, but it seems to blow most options out of the water from a $$/output perspective.

It looks like there's room to add a small momentary switch/button which might make it easier to cycle thru the levels on the fly. Wire it up to pass current in the released position, and break circuit when pressed. Should be able to "tap" thru the levels with this kind of mod, it would seem....

Although it already looks like a pretty flood-y beam, I wonder if stippling/sputtering the reflector would smooth it out even more - nice for a bar light.

Any in-use riding impressions yet? Do you plan to use it alone or with a headlamp?

julesb

Newly Enlightened
Firt impressions riding are that the beam pattern is fine, wide enought not to need a headlamp. The throw is not as good as my old L+M ARC (which I sold a couple of years ago thinking it would soon be obsolescent), it is very similar to my mate's NiteRider HID. In use one rarely got the hot spot of the ARC exactly where it was needed, so in the real world this seems as good, but lighter and cheaper. The UI will be improved by a change of switch either to a reverse clicky or the addition of a push to break button in series.

I think stippling, or better still an OP reflector, would be a minor aesthetic improvement...but I will not be doing this. It's not like stippling a maglite where if one messes up one can just buy another reflector, and I am not confident of getting it perfect.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the photos, it appears to be almost all flood. There doesn't seem to be much of a "hotspot" on your willow tree.

In reality, does this throw enough for a road bike light, or, is it really only good for mountain biking?