• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Don's "Garage Sales"??

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen various posts throughout CPF where someone shows a pic of a light they apparently 'picked up' at one of Don's Garage Sales and was wondering what they meant by that. Is this a tongue-in-cheek expression that I'm not catching onto? Or does Don actually have a garage sale where his one-off prototypes are sold or raffled off for charity or something? I'm sure there's a good chance that Don probably keeps most of his protos to himself. I'd ordinarily ask this question to Don himself, but I know that he's an extremely busy guy and I'm sure that there's plenty of members here who would enlighten me without having to take up his time.

When and if my budget permits, I may be interested in owning one of Don's protos.:naughty:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep hoping another one of these garage sales will take place.... :wave: :popcorn:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I am trying to keep my head above water with a large wave of LunaSol 20's that is building up here and taking a lot more time than anticipated. There is also a SunDrop 3 Speed wave starting to form.

Beyond this, I do have some drawers that are getting crowded with some one offs and special lights that I would like to offer up in some manner similar to the two threads referenced above. I would need to get with Greta (aka Sasha) and find out what type of a auction might be permitted as well as viable.

I am waiting on a quote for a solar (water and PV) system for the house here on Maui and I know that it is going to cut deep into my savings investments (if they have any present market value! :green: ) and a library of lights sale could help me here. The monthly electric bill is getting out of hand and the solar system will presumably knock it back to within reason or at least that is the expectation. I was told that our electricity is made from burning coal and diesel fuel which arrives to the island on freighters. Duh! No surprise the cost has gone up and yet we have plenty of sunshine here that is untapped.

So, there is a plan and intent of another "garage sale". I get inquires all the time for a custom light or mod and I just don't have the time or energy to consider it. There are a few new prototypes I want to visit and haven't been able to do so. Clearing the drawers out will provide room and motivation to move forward with some new ideas or so I hope.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Don,

But I couldn't pay attention to anything after
large wave of LunaSol 20's that is building up here

Good luck getting everything squared away...you know we'll all be waiting with baited breath for the announcement of the wave and the garage sale.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the previous 'garage sale' final bid prices, and it looks like I may be fortunate enough to own a one-off McGizmo after all, if the timing is right. I'm glad there's members who are generous enough with their time to keep track of all the bids, because at first glance, I was a bit confused by the process. Anxious to see what goes up on the block. :naughty:

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The solar water heater contractors seem to have their hands full with the federal tax credit ending in Dec. Thought about doing PV here in Kauai but the electric company here will only pay what they call a "wholesale" price for what you feed back. Their explanation is that they are charging you to be your "battery". Good Luck on your solar projects:thumbsup:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don have you considderd a wind powered generator? They come in all sizes and with the winds on the islands this may present you with a good source of power generation even when overcast or dark.

these guys
http://www.bergey.com/
have 10kw units which I suspect would pay for them selves over time. I know that in CA the electric CO buys unused power and people who have installed solar and wind generators love watching the meters run backwards.
Yaesumofo

Hi guys,
I am trying to keep my head above water with a large wave of LunaSol 20's that is building up here and taking a lot more time than anticipated. There is also a SunDrop 3 Speed wave starting to form.

Beyond this, I do have some drawers that are getting crowded with some one offs and special lights that I would like to offer up in some manner similar to the two threads referenced above. I would need to get with Greta (aka Sasha) and find out what type of a auction might be permitted as well as viable.

I am waiting on a quote for a solar (water and PV) system for the house here on Maui and I know that it is going to cut deep into my savings investments (if they have any present market value! :green: ) and a library of lights sale could help me here. The monthly electric bill is getting out of hand and the solar system will presumably knock it back to within reason or at least that is the expectation. I was told that our electricity is made from burning coal and diesel fuel which arrives to the island on freighters. Duh! No surprise the cost has gone up and yet we have plenty of sunshine here that is untapped.

So, there is a plan and intent of another "garage sale". I get inquires all the time for a custom light or mod and I just don't have the time or energy to consider it. There are a few new prototypes I want to visit and haven't been able to do so. Clearing the drawers out will provide room and motivation to move forward with some new ideas or so I hope.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Starfiretoo,
I understand that the new bill has passed and no the incentive is to wait and be billed next year.

Yaesumofo,
I doubt that either the neighbors or the birds would appreciate a wind generator.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the good news. Searched internet and said 10/3/08 bill passed to extend 30% tax credit out 8 more years. Our electric company is a co-op and they have extended a no interest loan on a new solar water heater for 5 years. Helps the extended families who all live in one house.

Starfiretoo,
I understand that the new bill has passed and no the incentive is to wait and be billed next year.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have some drawers that are getting crowded with some one offs and special lights that I would like to offer up in some manner similar to the two threads referenced above.

I am waiting on a quote for a solar (water and PV) system....it is going to cut deep into my savings investments....and a library of lights sale could help me here.

So, there is a plan and intent of another "garage sale". I get inquires all the time for a custom light or mod and I just don't have the time or energy to consider it.
:popcorn::rolleyes:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
:crackup:

How do you spell procrastination? :nana:

I opened a couple drawers today and peeked inside because I really do want to figure out how to get some (most) of these lights out of my drawers and hopefully into service or at least someone else's collection! :)

I will try to get it together this weekend and figure out how to proceed...

lavalight

Newly Enlightened
Don,take all the time you need island style:grin2:

:crackup:

How do you spell procrastination? :nana:

I opened a couple drawers today and peeked inside because I really do want to figure out how to get some (most) of these lights out of my drawers and hopefully into service or at least someone else's collection! :)

I will try to get it together this weekend and figure out how to proceed...