OMG Lumens EDC Project

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had not intended on starting a thread for this just yet but there has been considerable interest in my next project and as LuxLuthor pointed out all the various EDC posts within my DEFT thread could cause some confusion. So here we are.

A brief description of the concept. The idea was to create a light that has very few compromises. It should be a light that a millionaire would want to take to a party to impress all his friends with. Hence the working name "Black Tie". The name Black Tie embodies the concept I am going for and has helped me set a design direction. It will be made from the best materials with the focus on a sound foundation to build from. This means no titanium. You cannot do what I am trying to do with titanium because of its poor heat conduction.
Things it will be. Targets are small size(slightly bigger than the 007). Insane output(at least 1000lm). Good color rendition. Flood beam with some throw. Good looking. A design unlike anything you have seen yet. And excellent UI. It absolutely must blow you away.

Things it will not be. The longest thrower. The camping light. Will not be built on a host. This will be a completely original design. It will not be cheap. I'm not talking 007 kind of money but it will be more than the DEFT. I am shooting for $400-$500. Could be more could be less.
Thats it for now. If you have any questions please ask and if I can answer them I will but keep in mind that there are some things I will not be revealing at this point. So if I do not respond to your question you will know why. I do not know when it will be ready as I am still designing it and there are tons of things that could delay the project but I am hoping to have it ready in 4-6 months. I am not accepting payment of any kind at this time but would like you to express whether or not you have interest by posting in this thread indicating as much. When the time comes the order will be decided by the post date.

The VIP list

BMF
ChrisDallas
LuxLuthor
Choppers
KarltheV
Cowley
peterthomson
TITAN1833
Wolfstyle
zoran
d1dd1
steed77
daz
tx101
04orgZx6r
Glenn7
smokelaw1
jefft
makapuu
Christoph
BenjiBot
white light
mcmc
Kapak
Lips
KHT
Metatron
Dom
Raoul Duke
Elakazam
Aircraft800
yankeefist
irv usc
Grumpy
kit
sancho886
Drywolf
Parker VH
HanzoTheFlashlight
chipwillis
mbely2
iconoclast
PhantomPhoton
Rudi
PeterB
Ratton
puzzl3
xucchini
Wits' End
RocketTomato
hamheart
sinister
Roboholic
JetskiMark
Gary123
proline
orcinus
KDK
Wattnot
Morelite
HanzoTheFlashlight
paulsl
Psychomodo
Pnutta
GMoney
applevision
morati
jaybee
Illumination
kiely23+
Edwood
helios
300winmag
jojobos
naked2
zx5go
hojobones
bngbuck
socom1970
judgecrandall
Patriot36
zemmo
PsychoBunny
StrictlyAmateur
niner
jblackwood
Edog006
Flashlight Aficionado
hornady708
gollum
rkJr
dyschan
scout24
nfetterly
Dynacolt
analogguy
fiftycalibre
HanzoTheFlashlight
dhshark
nightvision
reptiles
dcaprilia

Last edited:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
And so it begins....sounds awesome Mike. Can't wait to find out more details...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
1000lm "OMG" and not much bigger than a 007 WOW,
what kind of UI are we talking about? will it have modes? and will it have a low level for tiptoeing around the house at night?

BTW this looks like a very attractive project already I will be following it's progress diligently,it's going to be awesome me thinks :twothumbs:twothumbs

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in .... your description is intriguing.
I need a light that will match a three piece suit :D

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....small is good.
"OMG" bright is very good.

Add me to the list. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

BMF

Enlightened
I'm excited about the specs of The Black Tie project: it will be one of the kind just like the DEFT :twothumbs And I'm happy to see my name in the first spot :D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG people! You crack me up. You haven't even seen the light yet! Anyhow thanks for the support and this list will help me gauge the overall interest and help me see how many I need to produce. Thanks everyone and the list has been updated.

BMF

Enlightened
OMG people! You crack me up. You haven't even seen the light yet! Anyhow thanks for the support and this list will help me gauge the overall interest and help me see how many I need to produce. Thanks everyone and the list has been updated.

What did you mean we haven't seen the light yet? It's The Black Tie, right? And it's from OMG? And anything from OMG we already know is good :twothumbs

BenjiBot

Enlightened
at least 1000lm

Intriguing! I am very interested in something pocketable with this sort of output, please add me to your list

EDIT: something pocketable with that kind of output sounds like there could be heat issues :thinking: are there any circuit/battery issues you'd like to mention at this point?

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be interested, I'd hate to put my name on the list though until you've got an approx $$ determined. While I'm OK with the McGizmo $5xx price range, the Spy $9xx is certainly out of my means. A rough estimate would be nice if at all possible. :rolleyes: I'm interested to see what thermal management you plan to utilize in a sub-compact size with 1000+ lumens output.

Last edited: