Homemade 24" scratch built & designed reflector

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

I apologize, but one of my photo hosts has unreliable and unstable links, (Facebook based), and this caused a large amount of my photos to vanish over he last few days. Apologize, but with all the photos I posted I'm not able to update all them do to a variety reasons, mostly time.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SNEAK PREVIEW: Rotating 24 inch homemade LightSward with 100 watt HID.
Click the Image for Video

Rotating beam shots from the 24 inch LightSward searchlight

This video shows the 24 inch homemade LightSward rotating on it's new gear box.

:twothumbs

icon1.gif
I have finally finished design/ building my 24 inch reflector and temporarily mounted a 100 watt short arc pulse ignition metal halide lamp from Home Depot. I am very pleased with the results.

At the same time I was completing the 24 inch reflector, I installed a 35 watt HID from a fog lamp, into my old incandescent Cyclops. This made it appear much brighter with a much thinner better focused beam. It has a much longer run time now, (it is about one third the brightness as the 24 inch reflector with the 100 watt HID. NOTE: I plan on changing to a 400 watt HID, budget permitting.)

There seems to be some 'threshold' that is achieved at some point, that allows the beam to become bright enough to be seen easily for some distance more than a few blocks. The original Cyclops is on the verge of doing this, but not quite. The 35 watt HID modifications seemed to have done the trick...perhaps the bluer light color and the much more focused and brighter beam crosses this line into an easily seen beam.

The 24" reflector homemade light is bright enough to easily cross the "beam threshold" and to be seen for a dozen blocks or so. The large reflector (24" homemade
Using (TRIM BRITE) Chrome Brite@ Metallic Tape came in 3" x 60" strips, ...it looks like it reflects at least 75% of the light), it took several pakages to complete the 24" reflector.) allows me to make some mistakes that a smaller one would be less forgiving of. I can experiment with many different household bulbs...including a tin can sized CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light bulb), which surprisingly with the 24" reflector, makes a pretty nice flood/spot light for lighting part of a ballpark, basketball court or play field for night time sports. I really intend to use it to periodically paint the sky with a beam of light or light a distant hillside when out enjoying the night. The 24" reflector, (LightSward), battery pack and ballast hopefully won't weigh too much.

The Cyclops 35 watt HID modification was actually achieved while watching Late Night Comedy shows. (When finished It looked 3 times brighter and had a much tighter Hot Spot and last at least twice as long on a battery charge as the original 100 watt incan., bulb.)

For me, the best way to find the focal point, after the standard geometric and mathematical calculations and measurements, is to build a "Delta Focusing Plate", or often just using spacers and washers, is, (to verify focus point sometimes, I first carefully hold the operating bulb base with pliers in one hand and steady the reflector with the other hand, and gently move the the bulb in and out and back and forth a little, to find the sweet focus spot on a wall a hundred feet or so away. Then I memorize the exact spot of the bulb base relative to the bottom mounting area of the reflector. I have someone photograph this if needed. I can usually measure and confirm the exact focus spot using a laser as well. From this I can then design very good bulb positioning hardware, sometimes with the aid of Auto CAD).

I did successfully design and build, rather easily, a 24" parabolic reflector for about $35.00 plus time...and I used a slowly spinning 'screed' shaped like a deep parabola to apply the final surface of Dry Wall Joint Compound on fiberglass and Styrofoam framed reflector. I used this design to harness as much light from a standard HID Home Depot Metal Halide Lamp 100 watts, as I can. I get a very well focused brilliant beam that goes out several miles and the beam can be seen for about one and a half to two miles especially when the light beam is moved across the sky.

At the same time I was building the 24" reflector, I modified an incandescent [Supposed 15 million candlepower (what is it really?)], Cyclops with a 35 watt HID fog light. I removed the bulb and ballast from the fog light...and lucked out on the focus with a home made sheet metal washer I made from scrap metal, and some banding wire. Very tightly focused beam compared to the original Cyclops and much brighter too.

As mentioned earlier, the 24 inch parabolic reflector was designed and built completely from scratch, using rigid foam insulation, fiberglass, dry wall compound and chrome tape. I was very impressed with the tightly focused beam I get using a 100 watt regular metal halide pulse ignited 1/2" arc discharge bulb. I intend to dramatically increase the wattage when budget allows. Currently This light can operate on battery power and auto as well as household current. Currently when I aim the beam into the sky at a 45 degree angle, I can drive two miles and see the beam in the night sky. Hopefully some not so sharp, low quality photos and beam shots will show the modified "Cyclops" and the homemade 24" reflector searchlight. I need a better night camera.

I took more beam shots of the 35 watt HID modified Cyclops, simply because it is much easier to pose the beam for photos. The 24" homemade reflector LightSward is still temporarily sitting on a box.

I am very satisfied with the results of both lights. I got many of the ideas from "CandlePowerForum" Once I finish the 24" assembly and can manipulate the light more easily, I will get better beam shots. I'm excited to see what happens when I install a 400 watt HID.

LightSward :welcome:

The totally from scratch, homemade 24" parabolic reflector on temporary stand, (cardboard box), next to the modified, HID added, Cyclops

24 inch reflector is chrome tape finished and ready for first test. 2bc

First test run of 24 inch parabolic reflector. 2bc

The lower spot is the modified 35 watt HID Cyclops, (Cyclops was originally 100 watt incandescent), compared with the upper Homemade 24 inch reflector (LightSward) light beam spot. Both lights are about 30 feet away from wall. The picture frame around carpet is 36 inches tall!

The HID modified Cyclops and 24 inch homemade reflector amongst others. 2bc

:twothumbs

Searchlights at 45 degree angle from horizon and aimed overhead towards camera. The New brighter 24" homemade reflector, with 100 watt metal halide short pulse arc tube, is on our (viewers) left and modified 35 watt HID Cyclops on our right.

The two Light beams compete with the street light. The bright beam on our (viewers) right is 24" Homemade reflector ("LightSward") and the beam blazing to our left is the modified HID Cyclops

Tree is 200 feet away

The Hot Spot from the modified 35 watt HID Cyclops is actually smaller than shown, (Camera easily overexposes). I need a better camera

The Modified 35 watt HID Cyclops beam competes with street light

Beam Shot of Modified 35 watt HID Cyclops on the left versus the much brighter New Homemade 24" LightSward beam

Cyclops HID warming up to full brightness

Beam from 35 watt HID modified Cyclops paints the night sky

Beam is easily seen for a mile or more in the night sky. When lights are moved or rotated back and forth, the beams can easily be seen almost two miles. Once I get a better camera, I can photograph the beams from a mile or so. I plan to upgrade the 24" LightSward from a 100 watt metal Halide to a 400 watt metal halide (pulse ignition with 1/2" arc discharge tube). The partial purpose of the large 24" reflector was to allow experimentation of using ordinary household light bulbs etc., for fun!

I will get better beam shots when I have access to a better night camera.:naughty:

Last edited by LightSward; Today at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarifications

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. Looks like you used a mylar film to coat the reflector? Hope you can get some long distance beam shots with a good camera. BTW have you tried using it with an LED?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW this really should be in the homemade and modified section. Might knock on the door of one of the Mods and have them move it for you.

edit Maybe this just needs to be locked as you have posted this at least four times. One here and three times in a different thread.:shakehead

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. Looks like you used a mylar film to coat the reflector? Hope you can get some long distance beam shots with a good camera. BTW have you tried using it with an LED?

I used The newest most mirror like heat resistant chrome metallic tape I have ever seen. Very flame resistant, after installed...I held a flame up to it for several seconds and there was no change. Many stores and national chains had something almost as mirror like but most brands either didn't reflect as much lite or were dull and gray in comparison and/or wrinkled easily. This (TRIM BRITE) Chrome Brite@ Metallic Tape came in 3" x 60" strips, (it looks like it reflects at least 75% of the light), it took several pakages to complete the 24" reflector. Easy to cut into wedges that apply nicely to the parabolic shape. This brand is found only in a local auto parts store here in Portland, Oregon or find it online?! There has been two very big break throughs in spray paint. I've tried one, though very mirror like now, still slightly grey and I don't know the longevity of it. About six dollars a can and takes a large amount on a very smooth surface to get the desired results. There is also a pint of some very good stuff that costs in the hundreds of dollars, I hear is very good (see CPF).

I'm working on better beam shots.

I have tried using different LEDS with very good results...Just wish they made them in the thousands of lumens or a very small cluster of bright LEDs or a very bright single LED. The focus, of one of the LEDs I used, was actually the way I calibrated the focal point of the 24" reflector. I have an LED 4 watter that is more than twice as bright as a 3 watt LED. Phantom Photon educated me on the 'efficiency' factor of the LEDs, and that wattage is not the predictor of brightness with all the recent developments in LED technology! The 4 watter throws one heck of a beam from a three inch reflector several hundred yards. I have many inexpensive LEDs, and buy them often...almost like a junkey. They seem to have improved the last few years in leaps and bounds. I intend to finish a reflector that I recently designed, that will actually use most of the light from a typical forward firing LED and place it into the beam, and not have a "shadow" or waste any of the light.

LightSward
Jared

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW this really should be in the homemade and modified section. Might knock on the door of one of the Mods and have them move it for you.

edit Maybe this just needs to be locked as you have posted this at least four times. One here and three times in a different thread.:shakehead

:oops: I'm usually computer literate, but sometimes I end up duplicating an effort when I am frustrated :confused: by a simple task such as posting photos. I actually intended to put this in the Homemade section...:popcorn:

I'm new to CPF, How do I contact a Moderator to move this or eliminate it?

LightSward

Last edited:

ambientmind

Enlightened
Re: 24 inch homemade reflector

Its a little vague in the thread, but I think you made a 24" Homemade parabolic reflector searchlight called lightsward? :confused:

Ha ha ha, just messing with ya! Nice work and looks cool! :twothumbs

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was fun to build and I learned much and now have many ideas to try as a result of this effort. When I built the 24" reflector, I made some slight variations in the exact lateral focal plane to allow experimenting with LEDs, and other potential light sources, that may not have quite a zero axis emitting area.

When the 24" Reflector LightSward is finished, it should look something like a giant "HID Cyclops".

I'm experimenting with another, modified, smaller design of the 24" reflector (about 12" size) that when finished, should use almost 100% of the available light from a large LED, using a specially designed off axis parabolic reflector, that with the first test, is very bright and well focused, (about 200 lumens) I haven't had the funds to try bigger.

LightSward:cool:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing your work. As I said in the other thread you needed to contact a moderator to get them to move the other thread not start a new one. This is called cross-posting and is not allowed on CPF.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quote:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Originally posted by saabluster:
saabluster
user_offline.gif

icon1.gif
Thank you for sharing your work. As I said in the other thread you needed to contact a moderator to get them to move the other thread not start a new one. This is called cross-posting and is not allowed on CPF.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
:confused::twak::whoopin::awman::stupid:

Nice work on your light by the way, I took a look at your site. :twothumbs

:oops:I'm sure it is easy...but how do I contact a moderator to move the extra threads?

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work on your light by the way, I took a look at your site. :twothumbs

:oops:I'm sure it is easy...but how do I contact a moderator to move the extra threads?:confused:
When you go to the forums if you look down at the very bottom and right you will see the respective moderators. In this forum it looks like this. js, DM51, Radio, Robocop

How did you find out about my site? Your not supposed to know about my site. It was done some time ago and is woefully out of date. I have not intended for it to be known as I don't do business on there and all the information on my light is here at CPF. Oh well.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

When you go to the forums if you look down at the very bottom and right you will see the respective moderators. In this forum it looks like this. js, DM51, Radio, Robocop

How did you find out about my site? Your not supposed to know about my site. It was done some time ago and is woefully out of date. I have not intended for it to be known as I don't do business on there and all the information on my light is here at CPF. Oh well.

I sent a message to a moderator. BTW, I meant your post on CPF: DEFT and the Black Tie, not your original web-site. Thank You for helping me with the posting issues.

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any interest in putting up tutorial on how exactly you make these reflectors? I for one am curious. I should mention that this business with sprinkling underlines and boldface through the article should be used sparingly so as to not distract from what you are actually saying.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any interest in putting up tutorial on how exactly you make these reflectors? I for one am curious. I should mention that this business with sprinkling underlines and boldface through the article should be used sparingly so as to not distract from what you are actually saying.

Yes, I am interested in putting up a tutorial. I will begin placing one shortly.

Thanks for the advice on the appearance of my article.

Thank You
LightSward
Jared

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs The 24 inch reflector searchlight (LightSward) makes a nice beam spot on the clouds above. (here in Portland, Oregon the clouds are often only one to two miles above ground level).

I will be building several more 24 inch reflectors and experiment with different methods and techniques. I plan on increasing the tolerances of the final reflector sub-layer.

LightSward

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs The 24 inch reflector searchlight (LightSward) makes a nice beam spot on the clouds above. (here in Portland, Oregon the clouds are often only one to two miles above ground level).

I will be building several more 24 inch reflectors and experiment with different methods and techniques. I plan on increasing the tolerances of the final reflector sub-layer.

As budget allows, I will also start 'spinning' my own reflectors out of steel or aluminum.

Soon, I will begin a tutorial on; several design and construction methods for constructing parabolic reflectors.

LightSward

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
This set shows some of the design and construction stages of the Searchlight 24" reflector.

One of the ways I construct reflectors is by using a rigid foam frame core with fiberglass and joint compound coatings to achieve the proper shape. This will be the first in a series of Tutorials.

Photo shows some of the design sheets, preset compass
templates and the, marked for angle cutting, rigid foam.

I have many photos of the design and construction process I will share in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned.

Video shows start of final surface application, prior to mirroring.

The rotating screed is used to apply the joint compound in a precise pattern. This is important to to get the desired focusing characteristics. The joint compound should be much more evenly distributed than I show in video. I was holding the camera in one hand. This job really takes three hands.

24 inch searchlight reflector ready for chrome foil
Here the reflector has received a primary paint coat, carefully applied, so as not to distort the critical parabolic and round geometry

24 inch reflector just prior to focusing
I have just placed a regular 60 watt household halogen bulb into the reflector for initial focusing

Last edited: