Any guitar players here?

prof

Enlightened
Everyone,

I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. I've decided to go ahead and give it a shot! I've got a couple of friends who play (one who gives lessons), and I can probably enroll in a class on campus (free--nice benefit there). However I have no clue where to start in terms of picking one. I'm pretty sure I want a steel-string acoustic--but beyond that I'm a bit lost. I am very open to a good used one, or a new one. Since I have no idea if I'll really enjoy this I'd like to keep the price down a bit. My friend suggested I should be able to find a decent beginning guitar in the $300-$500 range. I'd rather stay near the $300 mark for now (if I enjoy it I can get a better one later). For what it's worth, I'm in Nashville occasionally, and can also be in Memphis in a few hours.

Does anyone have any ideas? (Oh, I do have one requirement--I MUST be able to mount a light on the guitar somewhere... :D ).

Thanks!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Fender Stratocaster! It doesn't fit any of your requirements, but all the cool rock musicians use them!

Oh, and don't listen to me. I know virtually nothing about guitars.

Patriot

Flashaholic
You should have no problem finding a nice starter guitar for $300. It's not necessary to spend more than that untill you know what your long term goals are going to be with it. I fiddle around with on a Fender nylon acoustic and it was nice when I was starting because they're a little easier on the finger tips. I would stick with the major brands and keep an eye on Craigs List.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm from the old school, get an acoustic first, buy the best you can afford. A brass wound steel string acoustic will build the needed callus quickly and get your hands in shape so if you do stick with it and graduate to a nice electric it will be like butter.

Enjoy and be patient.:rock:

My current stash.....

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty happy with my Fender Acoustic/Electric and my Taylor Acoustic. One of the highlights of loosing my job has been the opportunity to re-learn how to play them. I highly recommend a Titanium pick :thumbsup:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've been playing guitar for about 20 years now - my advice would be not to sweat it, your first guitar is more about learning to play than the actual playing itself, just be sure to get something that you're comfortable with - most guitar shop employees will point you in the direction of a good starter guitar or starter guitar kit.

And when you are actually playing, remember to RELAX; watch the way Jimi Hendrix plays guitar, the looseness of his body and hands, the way he simply "expresses" with the guitar without thinking, similar to walking or breathing. That's the goal, to "play without playing." Pay particular attention to your body and muscles, watch for a muscle that gets really tense, or an uncomfortable body/limb position you might contort yourself into while playing. A lot of beginners give up guitar early because they learn a few bits and then can't get beyond that due to how strangely they tense up while playing. You can see this yourself just observing some people play, there's always one guy who plays with his tongue hanging out, or a guy who bends way over and scrunches up while playing, etc. Just relax and stay loose, it makes learning a whole lot easier and faster.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started with an <100 classical..:)

classical helps to get your finger strength when barre-ing, cos the action needed on the strings is a fair bit more.

Crenshaw

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The only reason I ever buy a new piece of gear is if it's not available used. If you're unsure as to whether or not you'll stick with it, go the safe route money-wise and buy used.

If you have a little patience and possibly some help with one of your buddy's you'll end up with a decent guitar for a decent price that you can re-sell if you decide it's not for you (either the guitar, or playing in general).

In that vein, I'd look into professional grade instruments instead of starter level guitars because they'll not only entice you into playing more, they'll also be easier to find buyers for if you end up going that route.

Anywhere between $200-$1000 for a decent guitar should get you something you can really enjoy without risking your money on an instrument that loses half its value immediately upon purchase. This goes for both electric and acoustic.

Also, don't allow any of your friends, or anyone here tell you which guitar is best, because guitars are like women and everyone has different preferences!

Here's my personal favorite acoustic; Adamas 1581. I like this one so much that once I got it the rest of my Adamas collection became practice instruments. Really beefy mids, which is largely a result of the single epaulet construction.
DSCF2174.jpg

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy your new hobby! I've been playing since the late 60's-always enjoyable. Wish I kept my 1st couple of electrics, they are worth a small fortune now!!

Look into the Martin LX1 series. They are great guitars to learn on, then when you move up the ladder you'll still have a great festival/travel guitar!

Besides lessons(personal) look into "Homespun tapes" and "Stefan Grossman's guitar workshop" DVD lessons. These are fantastic learn at your own pace, learn what you want to learn lessons.

Google guitar shows and see if there are any coming your way- a great chance to see and try any type of guitar- and get a good deal. (Be careful though) I'm heading to the Philadelphia , PA guitar show in 2 weeks. Hopefully to sell my Collings Baby 2H acoustic-- for flashlight money!!:broke: Enjoy!

One last thing. Go to "MerleFest" it is down your way in April- the largest bluegrass,folk, jazz,flatpicking, festival in the country. MerleFest.org I believe. 13 stages, music from 9am to past midnite! Okay, I'm done.

Last edited:

prof

Enlightened
Thank you! There's some great advise here and I really appreciate it. I agree I'd rather go with a good used instrument instead of a cheaper new one--seems a better move. My friend may or may not be able to go help me--but I can run to Nashville or Memphis in a few hours (hmm, if he likes bbq I can take him to Memphis for some good ribs...there's an incentive).

It will be a few days / weeks before I get serious, but I'm looking forward to this. Beamhead--quite the collection!

Thanks again! (any other tips would be welcome!)

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
62-Jaguar.jpg

my 62 Jag. Bought when they were worthless!

guitars-006.jpg

And I have a sunburst addiction....

SingleCell.jpg

Among others....

guitar1.jpg

Painted (nitrocellulose lacquer) from Warmoth parts.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice...especially like the Ovations. :D

Back in college I wanted to play and with the help of a buddy he picked a guitar for me. He played a few and told the sales guy "he'll take this one." I forget the cost now...it was an Ovation Ultra. Sadly after a few lessons, work and a whole bunch of other life events put it on the shelf. One day I want to come back to it but it has been about 17 years. :(

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I play a bunch of stringed instruments. I have a couple of guitars - my favorite is a 1928 Martin 0-18 Koa... it's purdy, and sounds awesome. But my other guitar is a relatively cheap steel-stringed 70's Yamaha, which I really love, and gets played a lot. :)

My advice would be just what you're planning on doing - score a nice used acoustic guitar. Although, I'd stay AWAY from Craig's List - a good guitar shop will have much more variety and their guitars will most likely be properly stored and set up. Buying an instrument from Craig's List can be a risky thing.

You have the benefit of being in an incredible part of the country for guitars. There are so many awesome shops - but probably the most well-known one for used instruments is Gruhn Guitars in downtown Nashville.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

:thumbsup: john

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I play a bunch of stringed instruments. I have a couple of guitars - my favorite is a 1928 Martin 0-18 Koa... it's purdy, and sounds awesome. But my other guitar is a relatively cheap steel-stringed 70's Yamaha, which I really love, and gets played a lot. :)

The one guitar I have yet to score is a vintage Martin, The 70's Yamaha F(g) series were supposedly quite comparable to early Martins, is that your experience jch79? My mid 70's Yamaha was stolen.........still not over it.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of good instruments are going to the pawn shop due to the economy. Learn the basics of checking a used guitar before buying. Also spend a bit extra and take it into a good music store and have it setup. It can spoil your confidence learning on a guitar that is not setup correctly.

Also look at "blems" this can be a new instrument with a finish defect, yet it plays fine. You can get a good deal for a starter.

Any bass players out there? I started on guitar, but always enjoyed the bass lines in music. Bass can be fun. Check out these guys...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cf50q4xpts

Finally and perhaps most important, I found learning some music theory to be a huge asset. No you don't have to learn to read sheet music but learning how notes and chords fall together to make a song takes the frustration out of trying to learn songs.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in college I wanted to play and with the help of a buddy he picked a guitar for me. He played a few and told the sales guy "he'll take this one." I forget the cost now...it was an Ovation Ultra. Sadly after a few lessons, work and a whole bunch of other life events put it on the shelf. One day I want to come back to it but it has been about 17 years. :(
I can sort of relate.

In high school I used to play a cello, but always wanted to learn to play electric bass, especially after hearing one particular bass line by Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy).
A friend had one and I tried it a few times but all I managed to do was buzz the frets.

20+ years later, I still get the occasional urge to want to get one.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I can sort of relate.

In high school I used to play a cello, but always wanted to learn to play electric bass, especially after hearing one particular bass line by Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy).
A friend had one and I tried it a few times but all I managed to do was buzz the frets.

20+ years later, I still get the occasional urge to want to get one.
I've got a room full of basses if you've got some lights to trade! :poke:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one guitar I have yet to score is a vintage Martin, The 70's Yamaha F(g) series were supposedly quite comparable to early Martins, is that your experience jch79? My mid 70's Yamaha was stolen.........still not over it.

Hi Beamhead,

I happen to have a Yamaha FG-110E. It sounds great and is definitely comparible to a 000 size martin. I love it dearly. It was my grandfathers and now I have it. Along with it I have a Peavey Wolfgang standard deluxe(made in U.S.A.) and a Fender strat. Been playing for 25 yrs.