SureFire G2D-FYL

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire G2D-FYL

Yes, nice find indeed. I wonder if you can use the Black G2 body on it.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dig the UI and the price is pretty sweet as well

-Mayo

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened

I've had one for about 6 months. I also have the 3 cell version. Surefire 115 lumen rating is close by eye to my Fenix TK11 on turbo. The KX3 head on the prototype was a tiny bit beefier. UI is simple 3 light level a 1 second pause before clicking in desired level. Great light for EMT's and Rescue.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

ooh. I like that U.I. Simple and practical.

Simple? Yes.

Practical? Far from it.

There's a reason why multi-output lights from other companies use a reverse-clickie, and why Surefire's U2 with its forward-clickie relies on a selector ring.

If you use the momentary function on such a light, hope your thumb can maintain constant, direct, pressure. Cause if it can't, the light will go out. You'll instinctively apply pressure the moment the light goes out, and look at that... now you're getting either too much or too little light for the task you need to complete.

Ironically, after getting it right with the U.I. on their U2, Surefire has taken a big step backwards.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Simple? Yes.

Practical? Far from it.

There's a reason why multi-output lights from other companies use a reverse-clickie, and why Surefire's U2 with its forward-clickie relies on a selector ring.

If you use the momentary function on such a light, hope your thumb can maintain constant, direct, pressure. Cause if it can't, the light will go out. You'll instinctively apply pressure the moment the light goes out, and look at that... now you're getting either too much or too little light for the task you need to complete.

Ironically, after getting it right with the U.I. on their U2, Surefire has taken a big step backwards.
I'm kind of puzzled by this as well. Surefire IMHO usually has the best simple straightforward UIs(despite how many levels, functions etc the light has) and don't use the cycle the levels by clicking on/off method(which I'm no fan off). Have they done this before? Maybe it's a move to a more civilian market less gun oriented market? I could see how this light could be a great lights for EMTs etc with the existing UI. Although they should maybe change the clicky to a reverse.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had one for about 6 months. I also have the 3 cell version. Surefire 115 lumen rating is close by eye to my Fenix TK11 on turbo. The KX3 head on the prototype was a tiny bit beefier. UI is simple 3 light level a 1 second pause before clicking in desired level. Great light for EMT's and Rescue.

Is it a Cree or SSCP4?

zlf15

Newly Enlightened

Will this light be compatible with any malkoff dropins, I noticed from the pictures that it utilizes a kX3 head.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know it may look good on a HA NAT C2 body with the black head and tailcap at both ends.... I don't see how the 115 lumens only last 2 hours but its probably alot more than that - Surefire lumens. I want to order one plus a G2 just for the body, I wonder if you can just the G2 tailcap on it also just tap or twist back and forth to cycle to the level you want then leave it there?

In fact are they selling this head separate?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will this light be compatible with any malkoff dropins, I noticed from the pictures that it utilizes a kX3 head.
Drop-in? It's a sealed head just like the KL4, KX2, KL1, kx1, KL5A... You either buy a complete head or you buy a drop-in for a SureFire bezel ( incandescent reflector only, no TIR or LED module).

Monocrom

Flashaholic

In fact are they selling this head separate?

Probably the same situation as when the P60L was introduced. Surefire waits a few months while complete lights are sold, and then makes the drop-in available as a seperate item.

In this case, it might be worth buying the complete light; and then just replacing the body with a different one.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened

this is pretty nice...

i dont really like the UI either, but i can see that it would work pretty decently for a constant on flashlight instead of a momentary flashlight.

Wish the price was lower...or maybe im asking for too much.

yuk

Newly Enlightened

A question: why this light runs for 2h on high (115 lumens to 50%) and the PD30 outputs 220 lumens for 1.5h?