Fulton MX-991\U (100% complete)

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey fellow anglehead owners, I recently purchased an ex-army Fulton MX-991/U and on disassembly noted the positive contact strip was missing (see picture below), my mission is fabricate a replacement but it would be a whole lot easier if I had a picture the area behind the reflector/bezel from a complete unit.

Any pointers on techniques to restore/repair the switch assembly would also be appreciated (it needs a bit more than pro-gold)...

TIA :thumbsup:

img0389q.jpg

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Fulton MX-991/U (seeking restoration assistance)

Let me know if you don't get responses here, and I'll move it to H&M for you.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an old body with the springs/contacts, etc. Pay the shipping, and it's yours. Shoot me a PM. I also have a few spare tail-caps/bezels, for any-one that may need them.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks angelofwar... PM sent :D

Just for anyone interested I photo-logged the switch removal, below you can see the cactus switch assembly is being removed ready for the new donor switch...

Grinding back the rivets
img0392qto.jpg

Prying the switch assembly apart
img0395g.jpg

Oxidized contact pieces
img0406g.jpg

Nasty perished rubber seal
img0403ohj.jpg

Oxidized contact sub-strip
img0410rzg.jpg

A cleaner copper contact sub-strip
img0411.jpg

Curious as to how to reattach the switch assembly? - stay tuned! :D

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

PM Replied...

"Curious as to how to reattach the switch assembly? - stay tuned! :D "

Rivets??? LOL!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rivets??? LOL!

Actually I imagine pot rivets would intrude into the battery compartment too much, I was thinking ground down mini tek screws (or self tappers as we call them), an epoxy adhesive has also been suggested... doesn't matter either way as once disassembled it's no longer in original condition (but at least it will work when finished) :grin2:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

:popcorn: Cool stuff!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know it has worked for many years, but Fulton really should think about redesigning their switch. Weak link on the light for sure.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any more news on the switch?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah... thanks to angelofwar the spare host has arrived, problem is it's almost too nice to destroy simply for the switch :(

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well this is a long overdue update to this MX-991\U, thanks to the parts from angelofwar I sourced the vital pieces I needed to get this "Vietnam era" military flashlight up & running, first picture details the damage I caused the parts' host by simply using a dremel (I avoided the grinder this time), note the melted deformed area :eek:

img0711b.jpg

Next up is the recycled Fulton switch parts and some salvaged tech-screws :naughty:

img0709c.jpg

Here we can see the refitted actuator strip, note because of clearance issues I had to grind down the tip of the tech-screw & it's top as well (to clear under the switch body) :thumbsup:

img0708r.jpg

A close up of the refitted switch assembly, discoloured and tarnished brass is evident below the remainder of the painted layer :D

img0714j.jpg

So now we zoom out a little to take a look at the whole package, not complete as of yet though now 100% fully functional, I'm tempted to touch up the switch with either a permanent black marker OR automotive paint pen :thinking:

img0716m.jpg

For those of you curious about that object at the extreme left of the picture, that is infact the heatsink & emitter mounting board out of the MTE 6W mini (CR123a) flashlight, more on that in the battery vampire thread :thumbsup:

Stay tuned for beautified switch assembly, beamshots & knock off TL-122 Fulton "showdown" :twothumbs

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

So now we zoom out a little to take a look at the whole package, not complete as of yet though now 100% fully functional, I'm tempted to touch up the switch with either a permanent black marker OR automotive paint pen :thinking:

It seems more authentic as a restoration to have the wear. Nicely done. :twothumbs

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fulton MX-991/U (100% completed)

It seems more authentic as a restoration to have the wear. Nicely done. :twothumbs

Thanks it was easier than I fear it could've been, you know you're probably right about the authenticity look (wear & tear) though I would've preferred to use a pair of black tech-screws rather than the chromed ones I did, funny how you know you've got stuff stashed away and come across it regularly then when you actually need it... it's gone :poof: :ohgeez:

I settled with "blacking out" the dremel surface damge & the chromed tech-screws, here's a close up of the switch assembly which I think turned out okay :grin2:
img0728p.jpg

Thankfully it's completed now, I don't find non-functioning collectibles as appealing... so for me it was worth the effort, here's that comparison shot with a TL-122 "knock-off" straight away you can feel the difference (though visually they're virtually identical), thinner/lighter plastic construction is definitely less robust, even the beam is of lower quality (poor focus) ;)

img0727zf.jpg

Note the nasty beam spot of the second shot below even swapping the incandescent lamps didn't alter the outcome which is obviously is caused by the reflector assembly, both shots are under exposed @ 1/125 for effect ;)

img0729i.jpg

img0730h.jpg

Last edited:

R@ndom

Enlightened
Re: Fulton MX-991/U (100% completed)

Thanks it was easier than I fear it could've been, you know you're probably right about the authenticity look (wear & tear) though I would've preferred to use a pair of black tech-screws rather than the chromed ones I did, funny how you know you've got stuff stashed away and come across it regularly then when you actually need it... it's gone :poof: :ohgeez:

I settled with "blacking out" the dremel surface damge & the chromed tech-screws, here's a close up of the switch assembly which I think turned out okay :grin2:
img0728p.jpg

Thankfully it's completed now, I don't find non-functioning collectibles as appealing... so for me it was worth the effort, here's that comparison shot with a TL-122 "knock-off" straight away you can feel the difference (though visually they're virtually identical), thinner/lighter plastic construction is definitely less robust, even the beam is of lower quality (poor focus) ;)

img0727zf.jpg

Note the nasty beam spot of the second shot below even swapping the incandescent lamps didn't alter the outcome which is obviously is caused by the reflector assembly, both shots are under exposed @ 1/125 for effect ;)

img0729i.jpg

img0730h.jpg

Is that the Aussie disposals knockoff?

pgmetcalf

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

New forum member here. I got a couple of these torches an early one (DT-10S/F) and the latter MX-991/U with switch gaurd.

From the original post I thought the he was talking about the positive contact which appears to be missing in the first picture. I've taken the liberty of posting a couple of photos below showing what it should look like, but since he got them working he may already know, but still ...

imgp0001s.jpg

Here's what the positive contact in question looks like

imgp0002s.jpg

Hope this info is of use to people.

Regards

Paul