Fitorch        
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 242728293031323334
Results 991 to 1,006 of 1006

Thread: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Quote Originally Posted by GusManB View Post
    Hay

I had just found the Amazing modes He has done, and see this replies.

Is he not taking requests for mods anymore?
    No

That's to bad, his work on the KL6 Heads where realy nice

It's to the point now where if you want one of Scott's creations, you have to buy a used one.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    What Left The Labs Today?

(A semi-regular [hopefully] mention of an interesting project or two that recently shipped... and might not quite merit its own thread.)

Blackbalsam recently sent me a Milky mod he's acquired elsewhere, the Mini Floodmaster, which consists of a KL1rev1 head mounted on a Vital Gear VG1 body with (very tiny) integrated clicky plus tailstanding scallops and removable clip. The challenge here was to update the part that was getting a little long in the tooth (SSCP4 USWOH LED) while retaining the aspect that he loved (best beam he's ever seen!). This was a tall order and I won't know the degree to which I've succeeded until the postman delivers a nifty little red, white, and blue box to his door in 2-3 days. Until then, I get to wait nervously!

The upgrade was originally discussed as a simple swap to the high CRI version of the SSCP4 emitter, which remains a nice choice, with a rating of 93 CRI and color temp of 4000K. I've been underwhelmed by Seoul Semiconductor's handling of their product line over the past few years, but in the case of the high CRI member of the family, they've improved the output from an initial bin of S1, to S2, to T1, to T2... and for all I know, perhaps they've reached U1 binning on the parts. Not bad!

That said, I decided instead to go with the Nichia 219, for some basic reasons:

1. Given a previous project with Blackbalsam, I know he likes the N219.
    2. Output should be a touch higher than the SSCP4 part.
    3. It has a higher max current rating.
    4. Because I can!

This did, however, complicate things, in that the reflector would no longer be a drop-in replacement. Oh well.

Being a glutton for punishment, I went ahead anyway.

First effort was in choosing a clever (or not so much) name, then printing the ubiquitous Milky label. (Okay, that was pretty much the LAST step, but it's fun to think of it the other way around!) Figured "HiFlood" was a decent way to combine the high CRI and Floodmaster terminology while paying homage to my classic line of Floodmaster builds. (Also visible is the requisite dust that's nearly unavoidable in a near-100-year-old house, especially when one does a photo shoot in close proximity to a major dusting of one's home. Poor timing by me on that one.)

Taking a page from the "lemons to lemonade" playbook, I realized the impossible (full size 20mm reflector in a KL1rev1 head) was in fact possible, would just take longer. I leveraged the lower profile of the N219 emitter and moved to the thinnest mineral glass lens I could find, then fashioned a custom gasket to seal the periphery against the underside of the lens as well as the threaded sides of the bezel ring. (The orange in the photo is the top of the gasket.) Turned out everything JUUUUUUSSSSSST fit, and the head now has a slightly surreal look of the reflector itself jumping straight out the top of the head. (It's basically the flashaholic equivalent of "cab forward design" from the auto industry, I guess.)

How's the beam now? Well... it's not a carbon copy of the prior iteration's beam profile, but it comes reasonably close. There's a soft hotspot at beam center with an unusually smooth field of spill all around.

Color rendition does indeed seem good. In place of the faintly blue cast of the SSCP4 USWOH, the N219 gives a much more neutral rendering of most things, and it draws ROYG (in the ROYGBIV sense) out noticeably better. Not sure what I'm shining at here... some sort of mini tapestry I guess, but since my son made it in school, it occupies an honored place in the Milky Labs.

Last but not least, another real world color rendering photo. It's nice to see how the N219 can clearly distinguish between the shades of "Yankee blue" in the two caps for my favorite team.
    I still love this little light and is still one of my favorites along with quite a few of Scott's lights. I would love to see him back on this forum one day. Anyone else still enjoying their Milky's?
    Last edited by blackbalsam; 07-11-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Me! I have a KL3 head with triple mc-e and bored L5 body that has my custom version of the Acorn firmware, and it rocks. Still my best and favorite light. Come back Milky!!

But, he's pretty busy with his work and family, so I don't think he's gonna be able to come back to CPF for a while. Very talented guy tho, and nice to boot.
    EDC: MilkySpit 1000-lumen Tri-MC-E L5
    In the car:
    MillerMods Quad-Cree 2D Mag At home: Mettee Tri-P7
    Missing somewhere =( :
    MilkySpit MC-E 2-stage UltraFire C1 SS 123 Keychain Light

The Creemator. Still pumping out 300 lumens on e series format with focusable lens.

Really unfortunate what happened here...

Gone, but not forgotten. Legend status.

He still has my L1 lol

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    He still has my L1 lol

Sorry to hear that. I love my L1 "Extreme." Really wish Scott had named it the Gemini like I suggested. My idea for an L1 that could do double duty as a general use flashlight and a tactical light depending on which of the two settings chosen and whether or not the light was twisted for constant-on or momentary-on press of the tailcap boot. Scott did an excellent job bringing my idea to life. Apparently proved popular enough that he made several more for other CPFers.

It's excellent. I have 3 other creations of Scott's that I bought off other members. But if I'm honest, that L1 gets the only carry-time. I still like the others, and will be keeping them.... for now.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-14-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Darn typo.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I still have and use a couple of those ML1 and ML1X torches ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Well - My favorite light was a KL3/MCE Milky Sarge on a D3 body. Stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by euroken View Post
    The Creemator. Still pumping out 300 lumens on e series format with focusable lens.

Really unfortunate what happened here...
    I have a CREEMator that has a reflector in it instead of an optic and I have been carrying it lately. Great beam and the firmware/mode options are fantastic. Especially miser mode.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Flashaholic*

I am getting ready to list a Milky modded Aeon, so was browsing on his name here...had no idea that he was having issues over the years. Sorry to hear, as he is a nice guy that did fantastic work. Best wishes, Scott.

Scott is one of the best guys I've ever worked with. I still use my Milky-M2 head on a Leef 2x18650, Milky-U2 4x4, and my Milky-KL1 ribbed head on an E2e body. Love them sooo much. Scott has my prayers and best wishes for him and his family.
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Looking for a Malkoff Titanium VME head.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by socom1970 View Post
    Scott is one of the best guys I've ever worked with. I still use my Milky-M2 head on a Leef 2x18650, Milky-U2 4x4, and my Milky-KL1 ribbed head on an E2e body. Love them sooo much. Scott has my prayers and best wishes for him and his family.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by socom1970 View Post

+1
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 242728293031323334