Flickr members

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Being into photography, I love to see what everyone has. If you're a flickr member, post your flickr name/site/link/whatever on here so that we can add some more contacts. :twothumbs

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
Just upload smaller pics! :thumbsup:

I keep my Flickr pics at <200kB each, even though I have a Pro account. I don't want anyone to have access to hi-res versions of my photographs, however good or bad they may be! :D

:) john

Genius! :ohgeez:Why didnt i think of that. i just went and got a batch converter and made all my new pics smaller.

But what worries me is if i ever upgrade, what happens if i want to now upload hi-res pics of past photos? May i ask why you dont want to have hi-res versions of your photos on Flickr if you have a pro account?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Yup! There's rampant theft of photos on Flickr - people think that since they're on the web, they can use them for whatever they want. I never put anything on the web more than 800 pixels wide/tall.

Since I make my living with photography, I have to be careful with what I put online. But hobby shots, vacation photos, etc., I usually don't mind putting up higher-res versions if friends/family want to download them.

:thumbsup: john

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
That's horrible :barf:i don't want people stealing my pics but i was hoping to be able to use the site as a place to back up all my photos while also displaying them. Do you think putting your name and copyrights down in the corner helps to protect you?

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
That's horrible :barf:i don't want people stealing my pics but i was hoping to be able to use the site as a place to back up all my photos while also displaying them. Do you think putting your name and copyrights down in the corner helps to protect you?

You can make certain photos private, and people won't be able to access them... I believe you can also upload hi-res versions, but choose to only share low-res (and you have access to hi-res).

I do put my logo on every photo, but it's usually pretty easy to Photoshop out stuff like that. I hate watermarks over photos, as they're horribly distracting, no matter how subtle they may be.

In the end, if it's on the web, it can (easily) be stolen and used without your permission. It all boils down to whether or not you care! :laughing:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
You can make certain photos private, and people won't be able to access them... I believe you can also upload hi-res versions, but choose to only share low-res (and you have access to hi-res).

I do put my logo on every photo, but it's usually pretty easy to Photoshop out stuff like that. I hate watermarks over photos, as they're horribly distracting, no matter how subtle they may be.

In the end, if it's on the web, it can (easily) be stolen and used without your permission. It all boils down to whether or not you care! :laughing:

It really does come down to if you care or not (IMHO). I tend to look at it a little bit like music. If people really like it that much, and they're stealing it, some musicians feel somewhat honored that they like it. That wouldn't bother me if someone downloaded one of my pics and used it for a screensaver or something of the sort. Wouldn't care. On the other hand, if I happened to see one of mine in a magazine or elsewhere and it was completely claimed as someone else's, then I would care.

I don't sell my pictures. I'm not a professional. I don't use it for a living. I'm just a kid with a camera who enjoys taking pictures. I hate taking pictures of people (portraits). I hate shooting with other people and I hate competing with them. I hate taking pictures of tourist type things with a hundred other people, where some other dude is at home looking at close to the same picture taken with his kodak point and shoot. I like more unique to me.

By the way john, you forgot to add to the pool. :whistle: