Show us your KROMA/PKEF/DARPA lights!

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the KROMA/PKEF/DARPA lights are some of the coolest looking, yet underrated Surefires I've seen yet. Black HA, multi-color/multi-level output, great-looking optics, etc... I can't seem to get enough of them.

So, if you have pics of your KROMA, DARPA, and/or PKEF lights, show 'em off!!!:clap:

Here's my little collection so far:

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
My regular Kroma is already gone, but I (still) have my Kroma-Milspec with PK logo [now it´s sold too]:
kroma.jpg

kroma.jpg

Last edited:

1wrx7

Enlightened
I've always loved the look of these SureFires. I don't think they'd be too useful for me though. At least that's what I tell myself whenever I get the itch to buy one:whistle:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always loved the look of these SureFires. I don't think they'd be too useful for me though. At least that's what I tell myself whenever I get the itch to buy one:whistle:

That's what I told myself for a long time. I held out for years after the KROMA was released. Honestly, they are so very versatile that I wish I would have bought one a long time ago.

The Turbo versions have completely different beam patterns from the KROMA due to the 5mm LED's in the Turbohead, which have lots of rings and artifacts. The KROMA has the 3mm LED's, which produce a MUCH smoother and even flood beam. Also, the KROMA having high and low output levels for each color are very useful, compared to single level output for the colors on the PKEF/DARPA Turbohead. (Milspec KROMA has twice as many colors, single level outputs only)

All have high and low white main beams, just that the KROMA uses a LuxIII and the PKEF Turbohead uses a LuxV. Both use optics that produce beams similar to aspheric lenses, but with a small amount of spill.

I love them all...:D

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
My DARPA has high and low modes. Low= blue and IR. I thinknt has a low white too then at full pressthere is high white. Which pkef are you refering to?

1wrx7

Enlightened
Shortly after I got into lights, CPF had a pass around for the Kroma... it was a new light then. When DaFabricata had it I got to play with it.

I thought it was was of the most innovative lights I had ever seen. Not to mention... I love HA-BK. Unfortunately I find every SF LED light needs to be modified for me to really love it. With a light like this, if I mod it and something goes wrong with the electronics... I'm screwed. If something goes wrong with the other SF's I've modded... I take them apart and put a little more $$$ into them to make them work again. Perfect example... the T1A. What a great design:thumbsup:... but poorly executed. At least in the example I saw this weekend. Very blue... or purple... and completely out of focus. Nothing like the original Titan. Of course I could swap and shim the emmiter... but with the potentiometer... if something goes wrong I'm screwed.

I'm not trying to bash these lights... they're great... just not for me. Thankfully here at CPF plenty of people will post pretty pictures for me to drool over. Keep them coming people:poke:... I want to see morelovecpf

BTW... thanks for trying to get me to stimulate the economy Socom1970:nana:... apperently you know I have a weakness for SureFire's.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
My DARPA has high and low modes. Low= blue and IR. I thinknt has a low white too then at full pressthere is high white. Which pkef are you refering to?

I'm referring to both of my PKEF's in the pictures. (Small fib regarding the pictures: the DARPA light is just the DARPA body with a PKEF B5K turbo head on it... not a true DARPA light, but it looks good in the picture.:) )

You've got the DARPA equivalent of the PKEF C5K like I have. (BTW, if I am wrong about this, someone please correct me. I think I'm correct, though...:shrug: )

I have the PKEF B5K (Turbohead only) and the PKEF C5K. Both have a three-position selector ring.

B5K: Low Blue (Pos. 1) or Low Red (Pos. 3), High White. (Pos. 2-Low White/High White)

C5K: Low Blue (Pos. 1) or Low IR (Pos. 3), High White. (Pos. 2-Low White/High White)

The brightnesses of the single Low levels are in-between the KROMA low and high levels, kind of like a medium brightness level.

The High is always the White main beam on them. No High Level colors at all.

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW... thanks for trying to get me to stimulate the economy Socom1970:nana:... apparently you know I have a weakness for SureFire's.

No Worries!:thumbsup: Glad to try my hand at helping out!:D Chances are fair to good that if you are here, you probably have a weakness for Surefires.

Remember, I'm pulling for you... We're all in this together!:grouphug: - Red Green

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh so you were refering to low red/high red like the std kroma as well as low/high blue.

Also my Darpa is technically a darpa. originally it was a PKEF. I just traded bodies to DAFab. One nice thing is that my darpa body markings match the head. DEF3C.

DEF3 = turbo kroma.
"C" = Blue/White/IR

Here is a new pic. I picked up a M2 beam shaper. I didnt know this, but the M2 filter is the same as a M3 filter. the only difference is the rubber shroud that slips over the bezel.

dsc0639h.jpg

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:oo: So you're the one who bought it off of BST? Excellent!!! Great buy!

You're lucky I'm strapped for funds right now or that PK beauty would be in my collection right now!:naughty:

Excellent light and thanks for posting it!:thumbsup:

BTW, DimeRazorback, the green LED's don't appear very bright in contrast to the other colors. Is this correct or are the pics a bit misleading?

And what is the little plastic thing on the back of the tailcap? A tail-stander piece? Is it aftermarket or did it come with the light?

Last edited: