AA Minimag LED Collection - Part 1

turbodog

Flashaholic

Click HERE for incan minimag thread.

Thread about minimag collecting, but the LED variety.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the new thread. I'll start off by asking if anyone has any ideas of where to find the latest Gen 3 Multi-Mode lights. Z-Battery has the Silver and the Gray. I have been looking for Red, Blue, Black, and Camo.

I have all 3 versions of the Silver. They all have the same model number SP2210HJ. This is the blister pack version. Ordering these online might be tricky, the retailers I have looked at all seem to use the a picture that may or may not represent the actual item. It would be best to ask them, before ordering , which style they have.

I have sent a few notes to Maglite customer support asking where the latest lights are going. The answer is basically ' Maglite sells to a distributor. After that they don't know where they go.' Not really much help there.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the new thread. I'll start off by asking if anyone has any ideas of where to find the latest Gen 3 Multi-Mode lights. Z-Battery has the Silver and the Gray. I have been looking for Red, Blue, Black, and Camo.
Locally I've found Grey, Silver, Red, and Black.

EDIT: I forgot that there are 2 versions of the latest (Rebel) mini MagLED - with the lanyard tailcap and the original mini MagLED tailcap (no lanyard hole)
I have to check the store again to see which version they are carrying.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a word of caution to anyone wanting a specific generation MagLED. Each Generation in the same color has the same model number. Some online retailers have the right pictures with the light they are selling, some don't. A few will substitute the multi-mode LED ( gen 2 or 3 ) for a single mode light...

If you order on line, it is best to ask which lights they have in stock.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, Turbodog, for starting this new thread.

:goodjob:
_

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be time for some pictures - Here is my Gen 1 Collection

First some 3 AA lights.

3AAGen1.jpg

serial numbers

3AAGen1serial.jpg

Now a few 2 AA lights

2AAGen1.jpg

serial numbers

2AAGen1Serial.jpg

whoops - how did this get here ??

moon1.jpg

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the balance of the collection. I have a couple of duplicate Gen 2 MagLEDs. Interesting to note - I have 2 Black ones, one serial starts with 20, the other with 2R. Both are the multi-mode MagLEDs..

2AAGen2.jpg

check out the serial on the black light

2AAGen2serial.jpg

These are the Gen 2 MagLEDs with the Lanyard tailcap, the bodies are a little shorter than the non-lanyard tailcap. So far, I have only been able to get a silver and a gray.

2AAGen2lanyard.jpg

and the serial numbers..

2AAGen2lanyardserial.jpg

and - just to keep it interesting - a little visitor.

DSC_0672.jpg

Last edited:

Boudreaux

Newly Enlightened
Will,
Great photos! Thanks for sharing with us! Especially the bonus ones! You are a really great photographer.
On another note, could you please post to this new "LED" thread, your definitions of Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3.
Respectfully,
boudreaux

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my interpretation - subject to change

Gen 1 - single mode light, knurled tailcap, no lanyard hole, serial numbers start with 20 or 2T, 30 for the 3AA models

Gen 2 - Multi Mode light ( Hi, Low, Strobe, SOS ), Rebel LED, knurled tailcap, no lanyard hole. serial numbers start with 2R
( I got one that starts with 20, I think Maglite was using up the bodies they already produced )

Gen 2A, or Gen 3, most places just call it Gen 2. Multi Mode ( Hi, Low, Strobe, SOS ) old style tailcap with lanyard hole, these also have a slightly shorter body. Probably the best is to call them Gen 2 with a lanyard tailcap.

Also take note, Maglite uses the same model number for all 3 styles for the same color, in the same packaging.

The Gen 2 lights are nice little lights for the money - around $20 or so..

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from Target here in Florida. They had one each of the multi-mode mini-magleds in gray, silver, red, and blue. I picked up the red and the blue - These are the 2AAs with the lanyard tailcap.

still missing, and I believe they are not yet in production are the black and the camo.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Target and Wal-mart in Northern CA, as well as a Wal-mart in LA that I went to during Black Friday, both have the black Rebel with lanyard tailcap...think I saw it at Fry's too.

A little side note...I saw a grey 2AA at Wal-mart with the Rebel and a S/N that started with TR000XXXXXX. I was a bit wary of it and picked up a 2R000999XXX one instead. Any insights to the "TR" series? It was identical to the one that I got.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a red Gen 3 ( with the lanyard hole ) in Lowes. This was mixed in with a box of Gray Gen 2 ( solid tailcap ) LEDs.

It looks like the 4 colors out there for the Gen 3 LEDs are gray, silver, blue, and red.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one in red with the lanyard tailcap for a friend at Costco too. Serial number 2R00090XXXX, August 2009 manufacture.

Also saw a blue one with the lanyard tailcap at Target too. Serial number began with TR00XXXXXXX, which would most likely indicate September 2009 manufacture or newer.

I did notice that with newer build, I would say from 2R0009XXXXX onwards, the LED is more of a cool blue.

Mike 208

Enlightened
I haven't seen this discussed in any other threads, so I hope this is not old news. I just looked at Maglite's updated website: The 3AA Mini-Mag is no longer listed. I don't know if it's just an oversight or if a new "multi-mode" version is in the works. For now, it looks like the 3AA model is discontinued.