The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 4)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks to everyones support we now have to start another new thread - Part 1 , Part 2 and Part 3 were getting too big.

Pricing and options in post #2.

The DEFT is, simply put, the longest throwing LED flashlight that money can buy. This light can out-throw many HID lights even some of the 25-35W models that are larger than the DEFT. One of the things that makes it special is the ability to easily swap in new LEDs. All it takes is a couple minutes to swap them out. This makes the DEFT obsolete proof which in this day and age where LED technology is growing by leaps and bounds makes this feature very desirable. The DEFT features a carbon fiber bezel that protects the lens from damage and prevents loss of night vision due to internal back reflections that happen inside optics. The carbon fiber is also beautiful to behold. The ability to use easy to find AA batteries including rechargeable LSD NiMH is also a plus. There really is nothing else on the market that combines all these attributes into one beautiful package quite like the DEFT.

LuxLuthor's review

Patriot36's review

Here is what some of those who own the DEFT have said.

From Patriot "The most impressive thing that unfolded tonight was to witness the DEFT produce higher lux than a 24W HID! That's simply astonishing!"

From Gene. "It's just amazing how far this thing throws. I could almost hear the talk in town the next day about how some mysterious aliens had been projecting beams of powerful light all over the sky! :)......
My son who is visiting from out of state was blown away by the DEFT. He commented that if someone had another DEFT a couple of miles away, you could have a saber fight in the sky!"

From LuxLuthor "Suffice it to say that the DEFT BLEW the other two away. I don't just mean it was noticeably brighter than my best aspherics. I actually do mean that it blew them away."
"Here is my scientific 2 word summary: Holy Moly !!!..........
I found myself saying several times that this is almost like having a MaxaBeam in your pocket."

From Choppers "1000% worth the wait...and with your attention to detail I understand why. EVERYONE will be completely satisfied and then some!!!!"

From ChrisDallas "The throw on this sucker is sick, I mean it just goes forever.....My neighbor was playing with it for 15 min or so & he offered me $1000 for it, I would have sold it to him if I could replace it immediately but there's no way I'm parting with it, don't need the money :)"

Here are some of my favorite pictures.

This is from 703'/214 meters away.

Next up is the control from 1,261'/384 meters

and now the lighted tower at 1,261'

Next we have the control at 2,407'/733 meters

and the lighted tower at 2,407'

This is the DEFT W/ R2, smooth lens

R2 Diffused

OK. I want you to stop here and compare the picture just above and just below. Below you see the Tiablo A9. What stuck out to me is the dead space that lies mid-range down the beam, in between the spill(which is only good up close) and the spot . In the picture above you will notice how much more light is being thrown and over a larger area. This really helps give you a much better sense of what is going on down-beam.
Tiablo A9

The Raidfire is just to help you with scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world(part 2)

Prices and features.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Standard features
DEFT $425
Includes:
Carbon Fiber bezel
Smooth lens with AR/anti-scratch coat on back
Diffused lens
Glow spacer
XR-E R2 WH(this is the LED that gives maximum throw available today)
Easy change pill design so that you can swap in higher bin LEDs as they become available.
1500mA regulated circuitry
Small "pre-collimator" increases throughput by 60%
Fitted Pelican case
__________________________________________________ ______________

saabluster

Extra lens with "built-in" diffuser.

It takes the beam from this...and turns it into this.
______

I made the diffused lens to broaden the usability of the light and to also allow use of the MC-E LEDs which would otherwise have artifacts in the beam due to the fact that the MC-Es are a multi-die package. With the diffuser in place the beam is buttery smooth with no additional OTF lumens lost as compared to a separate diffuser film. It is also very easy to switch from smooth to diffused or back again with the change taking about 30sec once you get the hang of it.

Pelican case fitted for the DEFT. These are very nice cases and will protect your investment while also allowing you to carry the diffuser and extra batteries.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Shipping
Shipping will be calculated using the USPS shipping calculator. There are no extra handling fees for shipping. Insurance is included in the quote I send you and is mandatory. This protects us both. If shipped outside of the US you will of course be responsible for any duties, excise taxes and handling fees charged by the carrier or customs. *To those ordering outside the US I will be putting the real value of the light for customs. I will not knowingly lie. I hope you understand.Thanks.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Battery options to power the DEFT

Any Alkaline AA will work but the in regulation time is about 30 minutes with trailing output from there for another hour or so. I do not recommend these as they can leak and ruin the light but do give you the option to run to the corner store and grab a pack if in desperation.

eneloop or Duracell LSD NiMHs AAs work in the DEFT but can be tight. Runtime is about 1hr15min in full regulation. This is my personal favorite as it is the cheapest and best for the environment.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA
These are primaries(nonrechargeable) and will give you 2 full hours in regulation. After that it enters a moon mode for several hours. This is the best option if the light is going to be used only occasionally or for emergencies as the batteries have excellent shelf life. This is also the best option if long runtime is needed.

These lights are very labor intensive. Since it does take me a while to make them there will be a delay from when you show interest and when I can get it done. If you are interested but will not be visiting this site very often I suggest that you either make sure your e-mail address is up to date in your CPF contact info or PM me with it so I can contact you when your turn comes around.

Please do not PM me asking me to add you to the list. I will use your post in this thread to decide order. To get in line post that you are interested and if possible the options you would like. I accept payment with check but there will be a delay for it to clear. I prefer paypal and after confirming your order will send you an invoice when the time comes for me to build your light.

There is a 1 year warranty on the light. This is primarily for the circuitry and o-rings. The carbon fiber bezel is covered if it is a manufacturing defect* but not warranted against breaking since it is not designed to handle hard impacts.

Although I strive for perfection I do not claim to make absolutely flawless lights so every light can be expected to have some unique "character marks". If you are in doubt of the quality I produce then PM members who already have my lights for more.;)

If you have any questions let me know. Thank you, Michael

The Build List

1 Gene paid shipped
2 BMF paid shipped
3 LuxLuthor paid shipped
4 radu1976 paid shipped
5 Choppers paid shipped
6 Karlthev paid shipped
7 Aircraft800 paid shipped
8 zoran R2 , CF , + diffused lens, case paid shipped
9 Cowley paid shipped
10 Wolfstyle paid shipped
11 PhantomPhoton paid shipped
12 Tanasit R2, CF paid shipped
13 Daz CF, R2, diff, case, paid shipped
14 Chris Dallas case, R2, CF, Diff., to Canada paid shipped
15 Addictedmatt paid shipped
16 jefft diffused lens, case paid shipped
17 southpaw R2, CF, + diffused lens, case paid shipped
18 steed77 R2, CF paid shipped
19 darkpeak CF, R2, int. paid shipped
20 kit R2, CF, to Canada paid shipped
21 LuxLuthor paid shipped
22 Kapak Q2 5A , diff. lens, CF, to Canada(insured), MC-E M bin WH ,delete glow powder, case paid shipped
Patriot36 R2, CF paid shipped
KHT R2, CF paid shipped
makapuu R2 paid shipped
Punchinello R2 paid shipped
Parker VH R2, diff paid shipped
tx101 R2 paid shipped
Lips paid shipped
HKJ R2, case, diff., MC-E? int. paid shipped
looman R2, diff paid shipped
Lunal Tic loaded paid shipped
BenjiBot R2, case, int paid shipped
sancho886 paid shipped
torcher paid shipped
HanzoTheFlashlight R2, Diff., case, Blackout paid shipped
ironmang paid shipped
mendhammarsh R2, Case paid shipped
zx5go paid shipped
jblackwood paid shipped
dps paid shipped
Flea Bag case, R2WH, diff, International shipping paid shipped
analogguy paid shipped
fiftycalibre paid shipped
gncamama paid shipped
nightvision paid shipped
DTUB Q5, paid shipped
ez78 paid shipped
jahxman paid shipped
windstrings paid shipped
Dark Vapor paid shipped
jsholli paid shipped
markdurling paid shipped
racerX paid shipped
eddyg paid shipped
Noctilion paid shipped
ledcarry paid shipped
stub paid shipped
Joe_torch paid shipped
Helicycle paid shipped

This marks the end of the line for the Enthusiast model of the DEFT. I'm sorry if you missed the boat on this one but a the DEFT-FTP is about to set sail soon so don't fear.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Why the pre-collimator?
One of the features that makes the DEFT so potent is the pre-collimator. But what does it do?

I did a ceiling bounce of two DEFTs one with the additional optic and one without using my light meter.

Benefits of additional optic
(1)With the additional optic there was 60% more light getting out.
(2)There is a huge reduction in chromatic aberration.
(3)It now throws slightly farther.
(4)The field of view is bigger due to a larger projected die size.
(5)Increased versatility due to the added ability to be a full flood with the LED still protected.

This first shot is of a Raidfire Spear as a frame of reference.
bezel130.jpg

Next we have the DEFT without the optic.
bezel128.jpg

This is the DEFT with the optic.
bezel131.jpg

This shows both side by side on some trees about 500' away. W/O on the left and with on the right.
bezel134.jpg

This is the DEFT with the head removed using only the additional optic.
bezel135.jpg

bezel139.jpg

bezel138.jpg

A big thanks to Glenn7 for pushing me to make the monster even more potent.

Last edited:

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened
Hi Michael,
I've seen one unclaimed spot in your Part 3 thread.
Is it still available?
If so, I'll claim the build spot.
Thanks!
Joe:)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'd like to announce that there are four spots for people to move to the build list. This will be the last of the Enthusiast models for the time being as we will be working on the cheaper but lower performance FTP model so if you want one now is the time as although I intend to bring it back sometime in the not too distant future all I can promise is four more. The bezels for the four open spots are already done thanks to Mandy's hard work over the last two weeks so that means the wait time will be less than usual.:party: This also marks the end of an era for us in the way we do the bezels. So to mark the occasion I decided to take some pictures of the last 10 carbon fiber bezels. Beware it gets a little strange.

PICT0102-1.jpg

PICT0110-1.jpg

PICT0111-2.jpg

PICT0113-1.jpg

And here's where it gets strange.

PICT0116-1.jpg

PICT0119-1.jpg

PICT0120-1.jpg

PICT0123-1.jpg

PICT0126-1.jpg

This is the strangest of them all.
PICT0122-1.jpg

Here's a zoom in.
WTH.jpg

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool.... 4 sections of theads now!.... Will this ever end?

Goes to show you how unique this light is and it never grows obsolete allowing competition to creep up from behind because Michael is his own best competition and keeps improving before anyone gets a chance to do it first.

Thats one thing I appreciate..... this is an evolution that keeps growing.

There's nothing else like it.

I got a peek at the "enthusiast model".... its a wild project of beauty, with art and executive eliteness!

I'm sure it will sell like crazy in spite of the higher price.... why?
The same reason Mercedes sells so well!

I remember about 25 years ago a Mercedes cost about 25K "which was allot back then" and I knew a guy that would deck them out with gold trim and uniqueness that made them different from any other in the world... He made "one of a kinds" and sold them for 80K... he had a waiting list about 6 - 8 months long.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently I have not been clear enough in my posts.:eek: What you guys saw at the GTG was indeed the Art Light of which there will only be one. Thanks AC. The Enthusiast model is what you two currently own which has the carbon fiber and AR coat among others and more time spent in the details. The forthcoming FTP is the lower cost/lower performance version that more people will be able to afford. FTP stands for "For the People". I will go into more detail on this light when I start a thread dedicated to it.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
windstrings,

What you saw was one of Michael's "Art Lights"
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218913

The "enthusiast model" is going to be a lower cost, easier build for the average enthusiast. I don't think the pricing or any info has leaked yet.

Opps.. your right.. I stand corrected.

It was the Art light we got to see.
Nope.. don't think there was any price, except that will will be more due to "lots" of hours of time to build them.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
due to "lots" of hours of time to build them.
Thats putting it mildly. I have done the ring on the tailcap 4 times now and I am about to redo it again because I decided I did not like a slightly darker color tone to the Paua. I had to buy some more material to redo it but I think it will all be worth it in the end. I want it to be the nicest light ever made. We shall see if it delivers.

Helicycle

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I would like to get in on one of the remaining Enthusiast versions of this Amazing Light! :wave: Thanks
moz-screenshot.png

ledcarry

Enlightened
Hello Michael,

Thanks for the email and the update. Yes, please consider this

:takeit: Please advise confirmation, and I will get a PayPal payment over to you,

Thanks,

JM