Shouldn't Lumens Factory Have a Turbo Head?

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
After getting a great deal on a Surefire KT-2 in the market place, the thought occurred to me: If the can make a M-series compatible P7 Seraph head for under a hundred dollars, imagine what a great deal could be had for a possible incan turbo head. It would probably best be done in M-series threading vs C-series since there's already and C to M adapter.

I've been eyeballing out the Seraph series for a long time now, and when I order the IMR-M3T for my KT-2/FM 2x18650/Z41 setup, I'll probably throw a SP-9 Xenon kit into my cart. I'm a huge LF fan. Once I get this last lego build complete, I'll have all five sizes of the Fivemega C-head/C-tail bodies; four of them with LF lamp assemblies (the 1x18650 currently has a p60l in it).

I just thought I'd open this thread to see if others would feel the same as I do, and maybe Mark might chime in to give a few comments.

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to have a LF turbo head if it was around the 2" size. The KT series is too big for me.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal: if they make a SF compatible turbo head with a choice of SMO or LOP reflector to maximise throw of their SF compatible bulbs!!!

I've already got the SERAPH P7 head and its AWESOME on a L6 body. The output of the Seraph P7 makes the standard KL6 look like a candle...:candle:

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've said that many times here! A KT2 or KT4 alternative would be a HUGE seller!! (Or something even bigger and better: a 3 plus inches Turbohead with smooth reflector).

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
After getting a great deal on a Surefire KT-2 in the market place, the thought occurred to me: If the can make a M-series compatible P7 Seraph head for under a hundred dollars, imagine what a great deal could be had for a possible incan turbo head. It would probably best be done in M-series threading vs C-series since there's already and C to M adapter.

I've been eyeballing out the Seraph series for a long time now, and when I order the IMR-M3T for my KT-2/FM 2x18650/Z41 setup, I'll probably throw a SP-9 Xenon kit into my cart. I'm a huge LF fan. Once I get this last lego build complete, I'll have all five sizes of the Fivemega C-head/C-tail bodies; four of them with LF lamp assemblies (the 1x18650 currently has a p60l in it).

I just thought I'd open this thread to see if others would feel the same as I do, and maybe Mark might chime in to give a few comments.

Considering the KT turboheads are C/P/Z/N/D series compatible already, I don't see why they would want to make one with M3-threads. Most of us don't own M3's, but most of us do own some type of C/P/Z/N/D series Surefire light. I really like turboheads, but I rarely use them because they lack the compactness of the other lights I own.

mdocod

Flashaholic
There are a few gaps. I agree with others that a 2" size class and a 3-4" super-turbo size class could be pretty good sellers.

In my experience though, D36 mini-turbo (~1.5") lamps with their lighter textured reflectors actually throw as well as many bulbs loaded in full size SF turbo heads (2.5"). Larger reflector sizes can certainly deliver more throw, however, it's important to remember than by sacrificing some beam quality, we can get good throw from small reflectors... I am hard pressed to want a gigantic head on a light (bulk tradeoff) when the same effective range can be had on a more compact head with a few minor beam defects.

That said, if you combine some beam quality tradeoff with some size tradeoff and have a 4" reflector with very light or no texturing, throw would go to a whole new level that no small platform could compete with.

I want one!

-Eric

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
Considering the KT turboheads are C/P/Z/N/D series compatible already, I don't see why they would want to make one with M3-threads. Most of us don't own M3's, but most of us do own some type of C/P/Z/N/D series Surefire light. I really like turboheads, but I rarely use them because they lack the compactness of the other lights I own.

I only said M-series thread because that combined with the C to M adapter that Lumens Factory already offers would cover a larger number of light body's. In my mind I was thinking that is what they were going for with the P7 head. However considering that the the only C-bodies the head is compatible with is their own, I now think the only reason the it' M-series compatible is because of the size of the tower.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
LF already has the blueprints for a incand turbo head with their Seraph P7 module. All they probably have to do is modify or redesign the reflector to accept incand M series lamp assemblies. :popcorn:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few gaps. I agree with others that a 2" size class and a 3-4" super-turbo size class could be pretty good sellers.

In my experience though, D36 mini-turbo (~1.5") lamps with their lighter textured reflectors actually throw as well as many bulbs loaded in full size SF turbo heads (2.5"). Larger reflector sizes can certainly deliver more throw, however, it's important to remember than by sacrificing some beam quality, we can get good throw from small reflectors... I am hard pressed to want a gigantic head on a light (bulk tradeoff) when the same effective range can be had on a more compact head with a few minor beam defects.

That said, if you combine some beam quality tradeoff with some size tradeoff and have a 4" reflector with very light or no texturing, throw would go to a whole new level that no small platform could compete with.

I want one!

-Eric

I agree with everything you said, however, in fact, we feel the need for a optional turbo head to use the great Surefire MN-series bulbs, or even the LF M bulbs made by lumensfactory themself

IMHO it would be a help for us both who need and want to use that bulbs. Still, i think it would also complete the "almost" :p complete Seraph setup.

Perhaps, there may be some problem with patent rights...

Cheers,
Dioni

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LF already has the blueprints for a incand turbo head with their Seraph P7 module. All they probably have to do is modify or redesign the reflector to accept incand M series lamp assemblies. :popcorn:
Yep! The Seraph P7 Turbohead is smaller than SureFire Turboheads, though. For greater throw improvement over the standard KT1/KT2/KT4, we'd need something at least 3 inches in diameter, deeper than the KTs and with very light orange peel or even mirror finish.

Cheers.