World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DEFT hardly needs introduction to most of you but in case you missed the first iteration look here. The DEFT has been since day one, over two years ago, the uncontested LED throw king. It is the first LED flashlight to challenge even much larger HID lights.

From Patriot "The most impressive thing that unfolded tonight was to witness the DEFT produce higher lux than a 24W HID! That's simply astonishing!"

And that was before some of the later updates that made it throw even farther.

From windstrings"The DEFT is the first LED I can think of that holds its own in throw against the HID big boys. :twothumbs"

I personally saw the DEFT take down the L35 which is a 35W HID! Well that was the DEFT-Enthusiast model which has now been ended but it is not the end of the venerable DEFT line.

I have worked extremely hard to reinvent the DEFT to be something that far more people could afford and appreciate first hand. It has meant the need to cut out a few of the things I loved, such as the carbon fiber, but the performance is still there. Here are some of the changes to the new FTP.

-Revised lens profile that is more optically precise
-Shock resistant bezel
-Use of common MCPCBs to mount the LEDs as opposed to the proprietary pill design used before
-Lens held in place by "lock ring"(glow infused) which prevents accidental dropping of lens on disassembly
-New 1.4A driver with more reliable switching method

The new DEFT-FTP is more powerful than the original DEFT before it had the pre-collimator. It is fully o-ringed but it is not intended for water immersion.
-Bezel width 82mm
-Barrel width 39.6mm
-Length 195mm
-Weight about 430grams(without batteries)
-LED Cree XR-E R2 WH(except for a limited run of WC and 3A neutral white)
-Powered by 4 AAs

Shipping
Shipping will be calculated using the USPS shipping calculator. There are no extra handling fees for shipping. Insurance is included in the quote I send you and is mandatory. This protects us both. If shipped outside of the US you will of course be responsible for any duties, excise taxes and handling fees charged by the carrier or customs. *To those ordering outside the US I will be putting the real value of the light for customs. I will not knowingly lie. I hope you understand.Thanks.

Battery options to power the DEFT

Any Alkaline AA will work but the output is not the best as they cannot supply high current very well. I do not recommend these as they can leak and ruin the light but do give you the option to run to the corner store and grab a pack if in desperation.

eneloop or Duracell LSD NiMHs AAs "work" in the DEFT but can be tight. Runtime is about 1hr30min.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA
These are primaries(nonrechargeable) and will give you 2:30 hours runtime. This is the best option if the light is going to be used only occasionally or for emergencies as the batteries have excellent shelf life. This is also the best option if long runtime is needed. These are the recommended cell because they fit perfectly and have the longest runtime while also having the lightest weight.

How to order
I am still ramping up production so supply is light at the moment. Send me a message through my contact page and I will advise as to availability and payment instructions.

And now on to some pictures.:)

PICT0303.jpg

PICT0304.jpg

PICT0306.jpg

PICT0307.jpg

PICT0308.jpg

PICT0312.jpg

PICT0316.jpg

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that the standard DEFT FTP comes with an R2 WH which is the middle light in all these shots.
In these shots you can see the Q5 WC, R2 WH, Q3 3A side by side with fresh cells across the board and equal drivers. It might surprise some.

All shots in order of Q5 WC, R2 WH, Q3 3A

Distance to trees 435'/132 meters
PICT0320.jpg

Distance to trees 435'/132 meters zoomed in
PICT0322.jpg

Distance to trees 435'/132 meters zoomed in more
PICT0323.jpg

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn: I hope someone can do a comparison between the common aspherical lights on the market.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn: I hope someone can do a comparison between the common aspherical lights on the market.
LuxLuthor's review has it compared to three other asphers which would be about as close as any other LED light could get to the DEFT. Keep in mind the shots in that thread are from before the pre-collimator.

So is this FTP DEFT on par then with the older DEFT's with the collimator?
Hard to say as it would be close. I doubt you could tell unless you had them side by side.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping I am within the first batch or two of these bad boys - mega-throw lights are the best. And the price is right :twothumbs

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice cost reductions.

Would the collimator make it compatible with XP-G such that increased throw would be observed? Or would this design not be XP-G friendly interms of offering the same throw with bigger spot, or more throw?

357mag1

Enlightened
She looks great!
Is it possible to get a picture of the battery tube and magazine?
I look forward to getting one in my hands. Love the idea of an AA format.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
So are you going to post the order of the screen names on the email list, so we know if we've got a shot at the first run?? :D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good!!!

Are the pills upgradeable in the FTP?
No they are not a screw in screw out solution like the old DEFT. That was one of the things that had to go to get the price this low. It should still be fairly easy to change for those with moderate modding skills. As I got to looking at things the best LED for this light is the XR-E and the top bin has been the same for over two years. Even if they start shipping an R3 bin tomorrow it's not enough of a jump to make a huge amount of difference. I will probably offer some variants from time to time but the idea is to reduce options and simplify the build as much as possible.

Nice cost reductions.

Would the collimator make it compatible with XP-G such that increased throw would be observed? Or would this design not be XP-G friendly interms of offering the same throw with bigger spot, or more throw?
An XP-G will work in the DEFT format but the throw is reduced due to lower surface brightness.

She looks great!
Is it possible to get a picture of the battery tube and magazine?
I look forward to getting one in my hands. Love the idea of an AA format.
I'll try and get that up some time tonight.

So are you going to post the order of the screen names on the email list, so we know if we've got a shot at the first run?? :D
Not at this time. I have received interest from those outside of CPF as well and they do not have a username to post. Don't worry. Things are going to be moving waaaaaayy faster than the old builds.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Job Michael! I like the simplistic design, it doesn't take anything away from the overall package.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor's review has it compared to three other asphers which would be about as close as any other LED light could get to the DEFT. Keep in mind the shots in that thread are from before the pre-collimator.
thanks for the link. I was hoping for more of the common production lights like the tiablo A9 apheric and the dereelight aspheric. no doubt luxluthor wrote a great review, but he compared modded maglites, and lights that cost more than my entire collection put together. :faint:

D

Deleted member 97529

How can I sign up to be on your email notification list? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Awesome. I know I'm already on the list for one but I wanted to know if you'll be making any more pills for the DEFT-enthusiast?

BolderDave

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I received my FTP on Friday. Thanks Michael. I think I received the first FTP! I haven't had too much time to play with it, but my initial impressions are positive. I have no experience with the previous DEFT or with any aspheric. My two longest throwers before this are the DBS v3 and a M1x. The FTP certainly throws like mad... I wasn't quite prepared for the chromatic abberations around the edge of the beam. I knew they were going to be there, but just not to this extent. That said, when the DEFT is being used at distances where my other lights won't reach, the colorful edge is not that noticeable. The R2 WH tint is great. The build quality seems fine. The new bezel is nice - it's kind of like really firm rubber. It's got just a bit of give. It seems like it would actaully offer protection to the lens.

Overall it's about the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. I plan to use this for my job (law enforcement). It's got some interesting applications I think.

Dave

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
Whoah - they are shipping already??? Sweet!

It would be awesome if I got a chance to place my order before the end of the month - will be doing some serious backpacking where I'd get deep enough in the dark scary woods to really play with a light with that kind of throw. I can only hope.... ;)

D

Deleted member 97529

May I be on your email notification list please? :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator: