American horsepower - .454, .460 or .500?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
We got off topic in one of the other threads talking about big guns, and actually it was Windstring's fault and not mine. :grin2:
Still I want to be able to continue, and so we shall here, at the urging of Windstrings and LumenMan.

As the title says this thread is for anyone interested in the .454 Casull, .460 SW or .500 SW and it's not about political discussions or whether you think these guns are overkill, stupid, over-priced or non-'G'-string friendly! Golden Rule rules here: treat others opinions the same way you'd like them to treat yours, please.

If you love these three or have any other of their brethren that you're passionate about, post here about them! The only 'small' caliber I'd like to see mentioned here would be the now commonplace .44 Mag, because how can you not love it too! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
The .454 Casull is a modern classic.

The Desert Eagle .50 AE is also ridiculously fun to shoot..:devil:

flip

Enlightened
A guy I used to work with bought a Feedom Arms 454 Casull several years ago. He doesn't hunt or fish in bear country, it was just a toy. I have shot it a few times and I also used to reload ammo for it.

I have seen 2 very experienced handgun shooters complain of their wrist being hurt after firing one shot from that revolver. I didn't think it was that bad but I was shooting magnum revolvers before I started junior high school so maybe I am a little more used to recoil than they were.

A few months ago, I turned down a great deal on a S&W 500. I should have bought it, played with it a while and then sold it for substantially more than I would have paid for. I just didn't want to have to pay for factory ammo or another set of dies. :banghead:

I'm not a big 44 mag fan. Since I hand load ammo, I think I actually prefer the 45 COLT to the 44 magnum. With 300 grain bullets you get very similar velocity. And, if lighter bullets are to be used, I'd just as soon be shooting a 41 magnum.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you've done it!.... makes you wonder what makes the world go around on the other side of the world?

whats the magic?.. what turns my wheels?

1. I like big lasers!
2. Stinkin bright lights!..followed by really stinkin bright lights!
3. Big friggin loud guns that echo off things you didn't even know was there!
4. Cars that go so fast you can make the guy going the freeway speedlimit think his engine failed and start to get out of his car going 70mph to see whats wrong!
5. Binoculars that turn the world into a wonderland of marvel because you can see every tiny pimple at 200 yards "swarovski EL's" "its a bugs life you know!
6. Phones that do every thing except "beam me up scotty"
7. Big HD TV's that are so clear and sharp they make your friends think you have a portal into other worlds.
8. Guns... Purdy guns!.. Stainless and Gold guns that shoot like silk and purr like a fine machine as you rap off those caps!
9. Fast Boats!..
10. Be the only one on the water as its like glass and the fish start boiling the surface!
11. To be the first off the lift in the morning and see virgin snow beneath you as the sun rises!... and then see how fast you can get to the bottom without killing yourself!
12. To be in the woods alone with nothing but a bow and look up and see a Majestic ELK right next to you so big you don't dare **** him off!

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The .454 Casull is a modern classic.

The Desert Eagle .50 AE is also ridiculously fun to shoot..:devil:
Yes it is. I really enjoyed mine and the only times I saw people have trouble with their wrist was when they had it locked too tightly. On the other hand I only liked shooting them for a cylinder or two!

Desert Eagle was a lot of fun to shoot, but too big for my hand to feel secure!

The one I really want is the S&W .460 V and I hope some people pop up with pics of some!

flip

Enlightened
I know it doesn't have anywhere near the power level of what we are discussing here but I have been thinking about getting a 50GI conversion kit for my Glock 10mm. There is just something special about a 50 caliber bullet to a gun nut!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am a big fan of the .454. I grew up packing a S&W .44 Mag in Alaska, but now when I am back there camping or backpacking in bear country, I carry my Ruger .454 in a shoulder holster (with the scope detached of course). Both have been very accurate for me.

I used to feel slightly undergunned with my Speer 300 grain handloads in the .44 (chronographed @ 1100 fps), but now I use 360 grain Cor-Bons @ 1500 fps (claimed velocity from a pistol barrel). The Ruger isn't quite as sweet as my old S&W, but an action job (as well as other work) at Magna-Port improved things somewhat.

Other advantages of the .454 over the other 'cannons':
  • Purchasing light practice loads is a lot easier & far less expensive: 45 Colt is much more common than .44 Special, let alone light loadings for the other chamberings
  • Reloading for light loads is easier with the prevalance of .45 Colt brass - magnum brass is expensive :(.
  • Much greater bullet selection for reloads, including cast bullets - I'd love to reload some of the ultra-light .45 ACP bullets sometime just for grins
  • A greater selection of high performance ammo: Cor-Bon and Garrett just for starters
IMG_6193-1.jpg

close-ups004.jpg

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's all of this three digit stuff about?

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

One of these days we'll argue what the greatest gun in history is :)

On a side note, when I first opened this thread all I looked at was the 454. I was about to recommend a blown 302 :ohgeez:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Manswers" did a comparison on what is the most powerful handgun. The big gun they used was the SW500, a 44 mag, and a 357. They did the typical measurements, muzzle velocity, muzzle energy, etc., etc., etc. The recoil comparison was what made it a Manswer. They had three very well endowed women fire the weapons and they compared the jiggle in slow-motion!

Big guns and big... er... you get the picture!

I revel in my own testosterone!!!

Radiophile

Enlightened
I have seen 2 very experienced handgun shooters complain of their wrist being hurt after firing one shot from that revolver. I didn't think it was that bad but I was shooting magnum revolvers before I started junior high school so maybe I am a little more used to recoil than they were.

I agree. A firm but not tight grip, Weaver stance (not isosceles!), and a little mental preparation makes dealing with magnums not a big deal. If you don't have meaty palms to absorb the recoil, they sell padded shooting gloves.

I once shot a .44 Magnum with ammunition so overloaded that the primers flowed back into the firing pin opening. Super Blackhawk. Groups were a little over an inch bench rested.

Starlight

Enlightened
I have a 454 Casull, a 445 Supermag, a 45-70, 2 475 Linebaughs, 2 50AEs, a 500 Linebaugh, and a 500S&W. The only one that is ported is the 500 S&W. I really like shooting all of them. The only one that ever hurt me was the 50AE in a Freedom Arms revolver that I held too loosely, but ANY of them will hurt you if you don't pay attention. I love the BIG pistols!

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to try a glock .50 but have no desire for any of the others except possibly .454.

Wish I would have known about brits passing their laws against handguns and been able to run over and get a couple matching .58 caliber revolvers. Leroy Thompson had a "Bland" (? I think) revolver which fired a 3-4 hundred grain .58 powered by a 28 grains of black powder. It had a handle shaped almost like a LeMat revolver if I recall correctly. I want two in suspender style holsters that attach at sides like army field suspenders.

Radiophile

Enlightened
I have a .... 445 Supermag

Sweet! How do you like it? Did you ever use it for it's intended purpose? Do you have the kit with all the barrel lengths?

I always wanted to buy one but never got around to it. I really love the Dan Wesson revolvers with their rather short double action pull and their unique grip because I have short fingers and can actually pull them. My brother has a .357 but I don't know the model or vintage - it's got to be from at least the mid-80s. Of course their awesome accuracy and strength also add to my affection.

Greg G

Enlightened
I'm not a big 44 mag fan. Since I hand load ammo, I think I actually prefer the 45 COLT to the 44 magnum. With 300 grain bullets you get very similar velocity. And, if lighter bullets are to be used, I'd just as soon be shooting a 41 magnum.

A friend loaned me a Freedom Arms .454 a few years ago to shoot. He gave me a box of ammunition with it. I don't consider myself a recoil wuss, but I never got excited about shooting that thing. I gave it back to him about a month later.

I own a .44 mag Super Blackhawk that I take for protection against bear on hunts, but I really love my .41's. I have 2 Model 57's that are perfect, and a Model 58 that the previous owner fired quite a bit. I carry the 58 in the car for now. I get bored with the Sig and the Beretta.

Edit: I have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt that I load LBT's for. 300 grainers. Nice gun.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched a few videos of the 50cal Desert Gold Eagle.. quite a beautiful weapon!
I'm not that massive of a man and I got a hunch I wouldn't appreciate the recoil.

I"ve read the .454 is much kinder.

I don't really care for the 6 shooter style... but really like the desert Eagle Mark XIX Pistol.
The Gold Desert Eagle Mk19 is even nicer!.... a mere 1900.00 bucks!

I have a Stainless Ruger Mk IV .22 thats very nice but and kick is obviously not an issue but I can play with it without worrying about finances "or" breaking my wrist!

What pistol do you guys recommend in an automatic that is kinder to the wrist?

I do indeed have a 30-06 Remington BDL Deluxe Basket weave Stock I've had for years and a little girl could shoot it.. it feels about like a .410 shotgun and it splits the energy to keep it from all going backward..... nice technology.

I know some pistols have venting technology to help recoil and an Auto does some of that by default.

Is there a high caliber pistol you guys would recommend?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
wingstings, the 454 will not be kinder. In an auto, I think that the 45 auto, or Glock, in 10MM with original ballistics will be more than enough horsepower. There is a guy in the Napa County, CA area that uses a Glock 10mm to hunt Mountain Lions gone wrong. Dangerous quarry without dogs.

Bill

Paladin

Enlightened
My handcannon is a 14 inch T/C single shot rechambered in 444 Marlin. I've never had a range lurker ask to fire it a second time. Handloads throw 300 grain hard cast lead at a chronied 1800 to 1900 fps...using the starting load in the manual!

Paladin

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Desert Eagles are well balanced with a smooth recoil that does not kick back hard.
I watched a few videos of the 50cal Desert Gold Eagle.. quite a beautiful weapon!
I'm not that massive of a man and I got a hunch I wouldn't appreciate the recoil.

I"ve read the .454 is much kinder.

I don't really care for the 6 shooter style... but really like the desert Eagle Mark XIX Pistol.
The Gold Desert Eagle Mk19 is even nicer!.... a mere 1900.00 bucks!

I have a Stainless Ruger Mk IV .22 thats very nice but and kick is obviously not an issue but I can play with it without worrying about finances "or" breaking my wrist!

What pistol do you guys recommend in an automatic that is kinder to the wrist?

I do indeed have a 30-06 Remington BDL Deluxe Basket weave Stock I've had for years and a little girl could shoot it.. it feels about like a .410 shotgun and it splits the energy to keep it from all going backward..... nice technology.

I know some pistols have venting technology to help recoil and an Auto does some of that by default.

Is there a high caliber pistol you guys would recommend?

paintballdad

Enlightened
I used to work in a gun shop a number of years ago and the small chain also had a firing range at one of the locations. We had access to quite a selection of firearms, including some from the owners collection. Though i mainly carried and shot 9mm and 45acp handguns. I did put in my fair share of 357 and 44 mags, stout recoil but not punishing by any means. One firearm and caliber that does stick out in my mind is the LAR Grizzly and the 45 Winchester Magnum cartridge that it shot. That was a SOB to shoot, i gave up after the 4th shot. I've never shot any of the cartridges mentioned here so i'm not exactly sure how it would compare. I just know it was not something i wanted to do again.