What's the best book on knots?

sygyzy

Enlightened
I know I can look this stuff up online but I want a physical book. What is the your favorite knot book? What's the de facto, goto guide that all the outdoorsmen and survivalists turn to for their knot tying needs? I know there are ones specifically written for sailors. I don't want to specialized especially since I don't own a boat. Besides, I bet the same knots appear in regular knot books.

Second question - If I wanted to keep a length (min 25 feet) of paracord in my B.O.B., what is the best way to create a bundle so it is self-contained yet easily unraveled for deployment and doesn't get tangled?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've learned all my knots from "Freedom of the Hills" published by the Mountaineers. There is just a small section on knots however.

I'm sure there are standard knot tying books.

Regarding carrying what we would call accessory cord, I'd just do it the way climbers carry it (one way any way). Just lay it out in long loops and then wrap the ends around the middle of the loops and when the cord becomes short just stick that end through one end of the loops.

It's easy to carry and easy to unwrap.

brett09

Newly Enlightened
The book I learned much from is called "everyday knots" by Geoffrey Budworth. Its a large book with easy to follow diagrams, and a very large selection of useful knots. I got mine in the bargain section of barnes and noble for about $8.98 I think it was.

Heres a link where you can preview the first pages :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1602390592/?tag=cpf0b6-20

bnemmie

Enlightened
The ULTIMATE knot book is called the 'Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford W. Asley" back in the 1940's when knows ment more then they do today.
It is considered by some to be the most complete reference of knots ever assembled. Its got almost 4,000 knots in it. The dude (Ashley) invented some of the knots in the book too. If you want the knot bible, thats it by far.

As for your second question you can wrap up 25 feet of 550 cord into a fairly smalll package. Not more then a few inches square. Both my boot laces have been replaced with it and thats almost 12 between them (6 foot each). Most everything in my bag has a lanyard on it of 550 cord. So thats a few feet each there.

You know those 'Survival Bracelets' you see sometimes? The ones where you pull one end of theing Cobra Weve and you get a dozen or so feet of line? I have a friend who did that on a larger scale and made a belt. So he is always carrying over a hundred feet of 550 cord. And it holds his pants up! lol

I saw you said 'paracord' in the origional post. I just wanted to make sure you had the 550 cord. the good stuff, the stuff you can cut and seperate into 7 strands (the core) plus the outer shell (the cover). If you cut it and its all fuzz on the inside then its some knockoff stuff and wont be nearly as strong. the names "paracord' 'parachute cord' '550' cord and 'paraline' are all kinda interchanged. as far as the military is concerned "parachure cord' and 550 cord is the real deal. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ULTIMATE knot book is called the 'Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford W. Asley"
It is considered by some to be the most complete reference of knots ever assembled. Its got almost 4,000 knots in it. The dude (Ashley) invented some of the knots in the book too. If you want the know bible, thats it by far.
What he said...

sygyzy

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips guys. I keep hearing Ashley's book come up. It's very expensive :(

Yes, I am definitely referring to 550 paracord. Paracord is cheap enough that there's no need to skimp on the quality.

bnemmie

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips guys. I keep hearing Ashley's book come up. It's very expensive :(

Yea, it'll run you about $50. But at the same time i have several books on knots and the cost of those together is more then $50. And they together dont come close to the amount of knots in Ashley's.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Ashley's Book of Knots is probably the ultimate. Not the best for instruction but if you buy less and like the hobby you'll end up buying it.

I tend when trying a new knot to scan Ashley and color it, makes it a bit easier to follow.

Wilmette

Newly Enlightened
My copy of Ashley's is copyright 1944 and the book gives no indication that it was ever revised past that date...but don't let that stop you from picking up a copy if you can. I'm told that there have only been a handful of knots invented in the last 100 years. Clifford W. Ashley will show you over 3900 knots.

There is a page of helpful icon style "hints" that will appear throughout the book telling you that the knot illustrated is Important, Strong, Practical, Difficult To Untie, Dangerous, etc. My favorite hilarious one depicts a whiskey bottle and says, "For The Initiated Only." Another funny: "Liable To Capsize."

Probably the only way to learn knots more colorfully would be to take an old sailor to the pub.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Second question - If I wanted to keep a length (min 25 feet) of paracord in my B.O.B., what is the best way to create a bundle so it is self-contained yet easily unraveled for deployment and doesn't get tangled?

Check this link. You can do more turns around and cover most of the loops, should be easy to store and to uncoil again.

This page has a lot information with good animations.

You can by it as a CD also but, sorry, no "real" book.

EDIT: Forgot the link!

http://www.animatedknots.com/coiling/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Last edited:

tjloeb

Newly Enlightened
Here is a great reference: U.S. Army FM 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering: 2002 Edition w/ Change 1: Ice, Rock, Cliff, Mountain Climbing: Knot Tying: Survival Field Manual Guide Book on CD-ROM

Amazon has it.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ashley's Book of Knots is the knot bible. Each knot gets a number (e.g. ABOK 1855) and if you google the number you frequently find better instructions. (As ABOK is still being printed, I'm not sure if the online and pdf versions are copyright violations or not. The book is wonderful - great stories and pictures - and you'll want it in your hands at some point.)

I also recommend looking at Marty Combs site (knotstuff.com iirc). Books, cordage and hardware. Marty has the Tom Hall books on turkshead knots - the bible of turkshead knots. If I didn't provide the correct name of the site, you can google Martin Combs Knots.

Two other good sites are Frayed Knot Arts and Knot Heads World Wide (KHWW). Bud Brewer, of blessed memory, posted many great knot tutorials on KHWW.

theilluminati

Newly Enlightened
To add a twist to this question: what's the best Internet forum for knots?

I only have question with one, but not with a straightforward one.