Mechanical Pencils - test

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictured are 4 of my latest mechanical pencils :

Staedtler Mars micro 0.9mm
Retractable tip , nice quality , writes well , 0.9mm rides paper real well , not graby or rough and LED does not break very easily

Faber Castell Grip Matic 0.7mm
Retractable tip , cheap but nice [ feels cheap ] , writes well , o.7mm rides paper better than the 0.5mm and does not break as easily , not as strong as 0.9mm

Uni a-gel Shaker 0.5mm
Wish it was 0.7mm , the gel grip is nice and comfy but at the loss of some control , not good for fine work or accuracy

Uni Mitsubishi Kuru Toga 0.5mm
Has rotating LED for finer line , feels good , wish it was 0.7mm . Does indeed produce a finer line , good for those who keep breaking there 0.3mm LED's

Well , I like Kuru Toga , but it should be 0.7mm to be a good writing pencil , but its hard to beat the Staedtler Mars micro 0.9mm , it rides over paper so well , has a retractable tip and just feels like a quality product .
The Uni Gel , while really comfortable , suffers from some loss of control because of the gel grip . The Uni Mitsubishi Kuru Toga performed as promised and produced a finer line than the other 0.5mm , it would be brilliant in 0.7mm , I understand Uni is trying to develop a rotating LED pencil in 0.7mm , and just cant wait for it to become available .

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any of the above. I have a few of the old "Scripto" mechanicals, I loved those things. They don't make em anymore darnit.

zagi

Newly Enlightened
I used to draw a lot during school years since I was taking mechanical engineering studies. From experience Staedtler is exellence in any drawing occasion, I always have sizes 0.1mm (for hidden details) , 0.5mm (construction lines) and 0.7 for more details, and 0.9 for all that lettering. I always never need to "click" for extending more lead. The lead extend itself whenever we pressure applied to the tip (head).

Do remember staedtler refill lead are also excellent since its doesnt leave smudge to paperwork. (oh their eraser are also excellent!):D

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mainly use pencils for writing , more reliable than most pens .
+ I just love mechanical pencils , there trick .

Ive got some older ones on the way 30's - 60's / 70's

Trying to find some usable 19th century ones as well , :broke:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Always had one as a kid. Scripto, I think. My son has been using one called "Sumo Grip" for a long time.

Geoff

Radiophile

Enlightened
Always had one as a kid. Scripto, I think.

I remember those. Translucent body, chrome barrel at the top that you twist to advance the lead, topped with a red eraser. I must have lost dozens of those throughout my school years.

I'm a big fan of mechanical pencils. I love looking at them in office supply stores and anywhere else they're sold. I took 4 years of mechanical drawing classes in high school which didn't help. I have a Berol Turquoise set of pencils in .3mm, .5mm, and .7mm, and dozens of others all over the place from Zebra to Mont Blanc, but I don't think I've ever seen a .1mm pencil. I'll have to look for one.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mechanical Pencils

Just so happened to order this 0.5mm Pentel Sharp Kerry today:
21w33guvcRL._SS500_.jpg

It has uniformly good reviews, so I thought I'd see for myself.

I presently use a Staedtler Integrity 9505 with the double clutch mechanism that holds the lead with zero play.

9505_us_14746.jpg

Picture+002.jpg

I don't like any movement at all of the lead when writing, as I like to microscribe sometimes, and the 9505 has three jaws that hold it positively at the tip, like a drafting lead holder pencil.
It has a good eraser setup too, with a twist retract eraser.

I like it the best for its precision, but thought the Pentel Kerry might be good for its cap setup and cool upscale look and feel. We'll see..

Burgess

Flashaholic
Very interesting thread here.

:twothumbs

Tell me, fellow CPF'ers . . . .

Can you recommend any U.S.A. dealers
for these lovely, fine-quality writing devices ?

lovecpf
_

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've been using the same STAEDTLER® Mars® 780 for the past 45 years.
Norm

Radiophile

Enlightened
Re: Mechanical Pencils

Just so happened to order this 0.5mm Pentel Sharp Kerry today. It has uniformly good reviews, so I thought I'd see for myself.

...thought the Pentel Kerry might be good for its cap setup and cool upscale look and feel. We'll see..

I've got one sitting right here on my desk. I bought it years ago at a hamfest of all places. I like it a lot. Whenever I pull it out I always get compliments. I especially like the cap because it covers the tip and I don't have to worry about poking a hole in my shirt or jacket pocket. It's cool that you can still advance the lead with the cap attached.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

My humble collection :

Top left - to right : Pentel PG5 / Pentel PMG-AD / NIB Scripto / Tornado / Autopoint / Tombow / E.Faber / Shaw Barton / Rotring / Durolite / Mitsubishi / Pentel / Staedtler / Pentel / Bic / Paper Mate / Paper Mate / No name / Paper Mate

Bottom left to right : Bic / Sharp Corp ? / Pentel 205 / Nestler / Pentel / No Name / Bic / Sanford / Uni-Gel / Pilot / Faber Castell
:D

Darvis

Enlightened
Re: Mechanical Pencils

Nice thread! Koh-I-noor 2mm leadholder fan here, have used the 5616 as my primary writing tool for years!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting thread here.

:twothumbs

Tell me, fellow CPF'ers . . . .

Can you recommend any U.S.A. dealers
for these lovely, fine-quality writing devices ?

lovecpf
_

Jerry's art-o-rama

Ok I know you asked 7 years ago, but I'm not the one who revived this

LEDad

Newly Enlightened
Try jetpens.com also. I recently discovered them and they have most an interesting assortment of pencils for sale there.