Why carry two EDC knives?

LedTed

Enlightened
Hello all,

While recently searching YouTube for knife tips and gems, I've seen time and time again that people carry two (or more) knives for urban EDC.

I don't understand the need for this duplication.

Would anyone, kindly, be willing to share their insight?

Any help would be appreciated,

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I usually carry two knives. One is a small, typically 2" or less, thin knife that rides in the bottom of my left front pocket. The other one is usually a medium sized folder clipped to my right front pocket.

Depending on the task at hand, one is usually better suited for the job. Also, I have the ability to reach a knife with either of my hands should the other hand be unavailable.

Other than that, just because. :p

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible answers you will get are..."2 is 1 and 1 is none" :D

"You want to be prepared don't you (survivalist speak)?" :D

"Different knives are needed for different tasks (from the guy who uses them to cut different kinds of boxes)" :D

It's the same answer as why do some carry so many flashlights in the urban setting...who knows..mainly because they want to I guess.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several reasons, not all of these apply to me but may for other people:

*The old saying "Two is one and one is none", backup is always good
* Different blade shapes for different tasks, I have a small #2 Opinel for fine work, and then a 3.5" XM-18 for general purpose stuff.
* A more "workhorse" knife and a more elegant one for when you don't want to scare the masses. In my case, the Opinel isn't exactly elegant, but people are more accepting of it than the XM-18.
* Lots of cutting to be done. I know of one individual, and there are probably more, who carry upwards of 5 knives, just because of the amount of cutting they need to do. They're rare exceptions though.

Edit: Lol, beaten to two of them by gcbryan.

tokerblue

Newly Enlightened
For me, it's simple. I carry an Emerson CQC-10 for self defense. I carry a Benchmade Kulgera or Spyderco Pacifico for cutting tasks. I don't cut anything with my Emerson.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work I usually run around with 2 knives, the EDC knife of the week and a utility knife (usaully a EAB). Mostly use the EAB to open/cut boxes (since there is a dispenser for blades in the warehouse) and the other knife as a backup. Cant tell how many times I needed a knife and one wasn't handy!

carrot

Flashaholic
Here's my reason: "I like 'em."

There are different purposes for different knives (at the Minimum, I carry a SAK and a regular folder) but if I carry more knives than that it's generally because I can, and because I couldn't decide in the morning which one(s) to leave home.

Kraid

Enlightened
Here's my reason: "I like 'em."

:clap:

I carry 7+ daily. While I do a fair amount of cutting, its mostly just because I like them. And its not 7 folding Emersons in a pocket of something. I also have fun trying to find different types of knives to fit different bills and to store in different ways.

(Utili-key on keychain, ti-card in wallet, WT La Griffe around neck, Emerson La Griffe on the back of my boot, etc)

Patriot

Flashaholic
One larger one for defensive applications, one smaller PC knife for tasks and chores.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just like with my lights . . . "One is none, two is one."

Also, I use one light for more mundane chores. Use my main light when I need bright as Hell output.

Sometimes a small blade is best. Sometimes you need something to tackle the bigger cutting jobs.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I carry the usual folder clipped to my right pocket, but I also have a Camillus demo knife I carry for more discreet cutting tasks. I have no worries about my usual coworkers complaining about a pocket knife in use (they know me pretty well and it would be expected for me to be prepared), but if there are outsiders watching I'll go with the Camillus.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
I EDC at least 3 knives, sometimes more (but thats task-specific stuff, so not EDC).

One nice medium sized knife for general use (BM Kulgera/Izula)
One tiny knife on my keychain for opening boxes, letters and other small stuff (gerber artifact)
One medium sized 'banger' knife for tasks that could possibly damage the blade or to borrow to people (Opinel No9/Leatherman Skeletool)

And if i know i will have to do certain tasks that will definitely damage my knife i use something like my Coldsteel Pocket bushman (if anyone ever needs a big strong cheap knife i can recommend that one)

I love my knives :thumbsup:

The Hawk

Enlightened
I carry one knife for self defense only. It has never been used to cut anything and I hope it never has to. I carry at least one other knife for everyday cutting tasks.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like knives. But, I also live by the 2 is one, one is none principal.

OCD

Enlightened
I too usually carry multiple blades. On the weekends, one of them is my Wave multi-tool. If I go out, i usually carry a small knife and/or multi-tool and a larger 3-4" blade too.

It is easier to be more discrete with the small blade if needed to use in public (say for a hang nail or something) than to pull out a large knife and draw a ton of attention. :whistle:

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
I carry 2 or 3 just because I like em,same with the torches. You would not go and cut a dirty radiator hose or something of the like and then cut up a piece of fruit or your lunch with a dirty blade.Germs are really small,you cant see them. Plus different tools for different jobs,try cleaning your fingernails with a 3 or 4 inch blade in public view and see what reaction you get [F@#%ed politically correct do gooders out there] Hell dont teach anybody any common sense and decency any more, we all need to be protected from ourselves incase we hurt ourselves. Sorry, got on my soapbox there for a wee bit. EDC what ever you want,just use your brains,dont do any thing wrong[illegal] or hurt anybody or any thing and the world will be a better place to live in.:) p.s. I dont think i've had enough sleep:candle:

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
Its a disease! I never leave home without a blade and a pry/crowbar/demo tool in the car. I even use a micro XSF-1 for a book mark..lol
my current edc is a boker cop tool in my pocket and a BK-3 tac tool in my back pack. Tough enough for real use and wont really hurt if lost.
Why? well I aged with this mentallity of being always prepared in
case TSHTF:green: