• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Any interest in a small 14K gold flashlight?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a rumor floating around that a famous Japanese builder was going to make a gold 14K light, but I've heard that it will not be made.

So, I'm wondering if anyone other than me, might be interested in, say, a CR2 twisty light made from 14K gold?
It isn't as though I have a final design in mind, but it would be fairly simplistic, since the less cutting I do, the less 'waste' of gold involved.

My early guess as to price is somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500 to $3000.

If you are interested, please send me either a PM or an e-mail. Thanks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Not sure about gold, but my wife who carries one of your plated Killer's, with the green anodized dimples, wants one in Sterling Silver.

Bill

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
deleted -- not an indication of interest

(Deleted by PhotonFanatic)

(Hmmm .... I didn't know all posts could be edited by the OP'er .............NEW rules ?)

I just honestly answered your question from my perspective on the product.
I guess you're only allowing positive comments to remain viewable to the public.

Last edited:

Archie Cruz

Banned
There's a market for such a light. I know what it has to look like and what it should do. CR2? No. Not trying to sound smart arse, but seriously, I know who would buy these as I spent 5 long years shooting high end jewelry and travel to the Jewelry/watch capital of Europe frequently.
Is this a DBC (Design By Committee ) project? If so. I'll gladly share thoughts.
Personally, I shun gold as it's really hard to coordinate with other objects, but the guys that drop $10K+ on watches may use it.
One other thought for you. 18K ( 14K is not real gold in my book) gold accenting something else is FAR sexier. Think Platinum + Gold or Laquer + Gold etc. The combos are endless. Just the edging or rings in Gold over a jet black lacquer would be stunning right next to a Caran d'Ache or ST Dupont lighter for example. Also here's my BIG tip. Escape the cylindrical form. It's the death of high class pocket flashlights.
There's my 2 cents. I stick to Ti and 6061 in my EDC life, Brass for 'Gents' look.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archie,

Not exactly DBC, but I do welcome constructive suggestions. Why not a CR2 light--is there another size that you would think more appropriate? Or is it just any cylindrical light that you consider passe?

Alas, I'm stuck in a time zone and can only make cylindrical lights. Well, I could make other shapes, but I'd need a much bigger pocketbook than mine to finance something other than a cylinder. :devil:

paulr

Flashaholic
Certainly not CR2. If I had the bucks for it I could imagine being interested in a gold LPK. Better yet, a sterling silver one with blocky-like grooves.

fyrstormer

Banned
Constructive suggestion: SAVE THE SHAVINGS. :) You can get a lot of money back for them; they're practically worth their weight in gold. :crackup:

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm wondering if anyone other than me, might be interested in, say, a CR2 twisty light made from 14K gold?
It isn't as though I have a final design in mind, but it would be fairly simplistic, since the less cutting I do, the less 'waste' of gold involved.
If I had lots of disposable income I'd love to see one, but the UI would mean a lot to me too. However, even though I'm a huge CR2 fan, I'd like to see an 18k light with 10180/10280 power source, which would keep the weight down and make it very appealing as a necklace light.

Gold that is alloyed with just copper to 18k is both beautiful and tougher than standard yellow 18k due to the lack of silver.

By the way, if you do any gold work, just make sure you setup to catch all shavings/filings. It's standard practice in the jewelry industry to sweep the floors and save all polishing dust, in addition to the lap tray shavings etc. to send back to the refiners. They charge a fee and send you back all the precious metals they find, which is really fun. You get back little bags with gold and platinum in them! :twothumbs

GLOCK18

Enlightened
I would be interested in a gold light prefer 18k but 14k is just as nice, I think a pen style light would be a preferable choice AA, most item label as solid gold are not completely sold as shown in this picture the Tiffany pen is 18k but its more of a gold sleeve, how about a titanium pen light with Koftgari - inlaid 24K gold. as shown on the top pen. Either way I'm intrested in some sort of gold light. Using a sleeve can keep the cost down, as for the Koftgari - inlaid 24K gold don't have a clue.

GOLDPENS.jpg

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glock18,

The Koftgari is gorgeous--but I could see spending a year just learning how to make it. :D

The idea of a sleeve is worth exploring though, gold tubing would certainly be a viable option, if I can find some in larger diameters. Thanks for the suggestions.

easilyled

Flashaholic
On a related theme to the Koftgari, if it were possible to make a light with Ti and gold in any type of combination, I think it would be highly attractive.

Especially dark Ti (AlTin or dark bead-blasted)

Would it be possible to have a 14K gold shell and then to have an outer layer of dark Ti that has relief cuts in it to reveal the underlying gold, for example? (if this is what you already meant with a gold sleeve/tubing, then excuse me please)

Last edited:

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I think you may be better served using a custom jeweler or rapid prototyping company. There are businesses that specialize in such things.

This would greatly reduce waste, as opposed to machining from solid bar or ingot.

You essentially send the person or company an .stl model file created from 3-D software. Then, they take your file and print a 3-D wax/plastic mold that is then cast in whatever material you want (gold, silver, platinum, palladium, or other metal). The neat thing about it is you can vary the material for the final product. For example, you can order 6 in 18k gold, 2 14k gold, 5 palladiums, 1 platinum, etc. The choice of material is simply an option and has nothing to do with the model file you have created.

I became familiar with this process through an acquaintance that made my wifes wedding ring. He specializes in very high-end custom jewelry. While visiting his office, he showed me how he does it and the software used. He had his own 3-D printer, but there are companies that do the same thing. It's a cool process and very applicable here. You can make almost anything.

Some final prep-work will still be required from you, but the detail and intricacy you can get from this process is amazing. They can even build logos and such into the product. This way, you will only need to final polish & clean up the product without needing to do any real work on it. Some of the companies will even perform those functions, at an additional cost. You can incorporate details that are nearly impossible to machine into it.

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fred. I spent about 15 years in the jewellery industry in Australia, two tone looks cool and it keeps cost down. How about a aaa high powered light [low med high] out of titanium [ blocky type] you are good at that, and inlay small 18 ct balls in it like i've seen on some other light you did. This would look spectacular and it would keep the cost down for maker and buyer. The balls are easy to make, buy 18 ct wire [yellow or white or red for combinations] cut off equal size amounts and hit each one with a flame about 1100 c and you will have your balls in pretty even sizes. If you heat the ti to colour it then inlay your gold balls you can come up with all sorts of combinations. Even make the body out of sterling silver with gold accents. Silver being one of the best heat and electrical conductors known to man you will have a great heat sink. Just a thought :naughty:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions, while I'm familiar with many of them, I have yet to use them, i.e., rapid prototyping, but I will consider the possibility a bit more.

I like the idea of inlaid gold in silver, assuming I can get the gold into some sterling silver without distorting the sterling silver body. I have had problems trying to inlay silver in Mokume Gane, for instance, since the MG was too soft. But sterling silver can be work hardened, so perhaps I will consider burnishing the light before attempting any inlay.

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
Maybe sterling silver body cr2 light with gold slip rings over the top, solder in place, machine edges and patterns in to clean up. Each one has different pattern so they are all individual. No one gets the same pattern, all one of a kind. A LPK in this type of material could go as a matching pair or sold separately:popcorn:. One for your pocket ,one for your neck chain. true practical gents jewellery. Oh the girls can have em too.:grin2:

JJKTWO

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bump this old thread, but was sitting here stunned at my own OCD at wanting the MBI HF I started playing with lately. In 14k,to go with my formal EDC. Then I said to myself, self, some other poor souls must be as far gone as me. Lets see who they are. Lo and behold it led me here. I should have known it would be someone from MA. But whats shocking is how old this thread is. Here I thought I was edgy too. O well. Your my kinda folks. It's great to find I am not a total freak of nature after all.
lovecpf

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There's a gold-plated Fenix P1 in the best-looking flashlight thread; but I'm not a shelf queen collector, so I wouldn't go for it myself. Frankly, all the other unique PhotonFanatic finishes are so gorgeous, a precious-metal plated light would look boring..

JJKTWO

Newly Enlightened
I am sure if he made one in gold you would say anything but, its boring. Gold plated is not me either. I couldn't see having a non gold fob on my pocket watch chain. I feel this thread would not have been here if there there was not a pretty good thought behind it I love the Luce de Notte and would love an Indian Princess setup with matching Luce and bedside torches for me and my prettier half. But what do i know i am new to all this stuff. Anyway I am just happy someone else thought of it besides me. I would love a mini gold task light on a chain even, but I am positive his idea was way better. Maybe we will find out. See, now you have me wondering what all this could be had for. I think I see the future. I am so getting yelled at.
:twothumbs

Last edited:

JJKTWO

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the color of the watch I am wearing but I would love to find out.