Help with Light Cannon 100 Ballast and Bulb

nik33134

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. Recently, my UK LC100 died on me, after about 20 dives. I have always used rechargeable NiMh batteries, and maybe I didn't wait long enough for them to reach a lower voltage. I (wrongly) assumed it was the bulb, so I found a good deal and bought one, but it wasn't that. So I unscrewed the ballast to find the fuses, and found 2 items connected to the wires, wrapped in plastic, but don't know how to check them, and neither do the electronics stores in my area. Also, I pulled the Welch Allyn ballast from the housing, and the silicone holder with the notch for the bulb came off. Now I have no idea which way the bulb has to face. Can someone help me out with the orientation/alignment of the bulb (polarity wise)? I mean that the Welch Allyn piece is completely symetrical, except from the bottom rubber padding that has a notch, and the yellow and black wires. I can't find any sort of marking on it to use as a point of reference. Does anyone have a solution to this? As for the fuses, or whatever they are, how can I check them, and what are they exactly? Also, anyone with a schematic? I am totally confused and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the bulb it makes no difference,

the black and yellow are negative and postive,
showing that is a B10N004 Ballast for 8 rechargeable cells.

what happens now, when You hold the switch down?
any noise?
Flashes at "bulb"?

I dont have a real clue what the two shrink wrapped parts are, and dont want to unscrew the remainings of my LC to try to guess (it would still be a guess), but iirc these are nothing that can go kaput.
Did You check the 2 fuses?
Maybe one is blown?

nik33134

Newly Enlightened
I don't know where the 2 fuses are. I thought that maybe those 2 wrapped items were the fuses, but I guess they aren't. If I can find them, then maybe I can check out to see if they work. So you're saying that it doesn't matter which way the bulb goes in? I thought that these bulbs were polarity sensitive...

nik33134

Newly Enlightened
for the bulb it makes no difference,

what happens now, when You hold the switch down?
any noise?
Flashes at "bulb"?

The bulb does nothing when I turn the switch on. I tested my bulb on somebody else's LC100 and it works fine. So for sure the problem is somewhere on the ballast. Either the fuses (and I don't know where they are), or ???

nik33134

Newly Enlightened
There is an AGA-2 fuse on the back side of the lamp module under the plate that has the spring contact for the batteries.

I am not aware of a second fuse.

Thanks for the link. I checked the batteries and they are fine. I also located the 2 fuses in the back plate, and by visual inspection they seem to be fine (filament looks intact, and glass is clear). So I guess if batteries, bulb and fuses are fine, that places the problem on that Welch Allyn part (I think it should be B10N008R and not B10N004). Any idea how I could purchase that at a reasonable price? Or are there people here willing to buy a bunch of them and split the cost?

nik33134

Newly Enlightened
Not that I have noticed. There is no warning on the replacement bulbs, and I have not had an issue so far.
The reason I am insisting on that particular question is that the silicone holder for the bulb has a notch witch designates the proper position. This part has gotten unstuck from my ballast. Why would the notch be there in the first place if not for polarity reasons?

mandtHarris

Newly Enlightened
The reason I am insisting on that particular question is that the silicone holder for the bulb has a notch witch designates the proper position. This part has gotten unstuck from my ballast. Why would the notch be there in the first place if not for polarity reasons?

I am having a problem with my Light Cannon 100 HID and ran across your post. In my research I think I found an answer to your question:

• Remove the reflector.
  • Pull the old lamp straight out.
  • Align the two pins on the new lamp with the holes provided for them. Be sure the alignment rib on the side of the lamp base is aimed toward the notch for it in the socket. Then gently push the new bulb straight in until it stops.
  • Finally, lay the reflector back onto the lamp module, and screw the rubberized bezel back onto the body of the light until it's firmly on.

If you install the bulb backwards, it will burn out *very quickly*, so you must take care to insert it the correct way!

Minimoog

Enlightened
Are the HID bulbs still available anywhere? They were MR11 10W HID. Not had any luck so far...