Surefire P60 fitment in Solarforce L2

Falcon09

Newly Enlightened
First post here but I have been lurking.

My recent purchase of a couple of Malkoff devices left me with an extra Surefire P60 and a P60L. I bought two Solarforce L2 bodies from Lighthound and neither the P60 nor the P60L work in the L2.

I got the L2 that is compatible with both CR123 and 18650 batteries.

Upon close inspection it appears that the ledge on the inside of the L2 body that the large spring on the P60 and P60L rests on is larger in diameter than the Surefire 6P therefore the spring is passing through the hole instead of resting on the ledge.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I was able to get both drop-ins to work by bending the large springs out a little, making them have a larger diameter which allowed them to rest on the ledge.

Is there any other way to make them work or is this the best fix?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I use a thin washer to provide a reference surface for the SureFire P60 spring. I agree that it isn't a good solution - perhaps the best solution to that problem is a SureFire 6P body - the one SolarForce body I have has been an irritant in this respect compared to my SureFire hosts.

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

Edit: Oh, and welcome to CPF. :)

Last edited:

Falcon09

Newly Enlightened
I use a thin washer to provide a reference surface for the SureFire P60 spring. I agree that it isn't a good solution - perhaps the best solution to that problem is a SureFire 6P body - the one SolarForce body I have has been an irritant in this respect compared to my SureFire hosts.

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

Edit: Oh, and welcome to CPF. :)

Thanks, I'll try the washer route.

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
Is that a brass washer ?

I'm guess the washer needs to be conductive ... ?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I just bent the P60 spring a little with vise grip pliers... grabbed the largest coil and bent it outwards a little to touch the host body.

feedramp

Newly Enlightened
I need to make the same mod. I have a stainless steel and copper washer on-hand that both fit well. Any suggestions on which one to use? I am wondering if either will cause some type of corrosive reaction with the L2 body. Thanks

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that washer fix. Certainly cheaper than ordering a larger spring to go around the Malkoff drop-in. And faster, too.

cp2315

Enlightened
My surefire P60 works nicely in a solarforce L2T. So L2T might be slightly different from L2 inside. Interesting read.

feedramp

Newly Enlightened
What is the exact size of that washer? I'd like to try it, too.

This "External Tooth Lock Washer" works perfectly. It rests on the shelf of the L2 without any play, and the center hole is large enough to keep the P60's inner spring from shorting.

A) OD = 22.5 mm
B) ID = 13.2 mm
C) Thick = 1.75 mm (thinner is ok)

etlw35_zpsewhfdlxx.jpg

Still looking for suggestions on what type of metal is best for the washer? Concerned about reaction with L2's body. Thanks

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My surefire P60 works nicely in a solarforce L2T. So L2T might be slightly different from L2 inside. Interesting read.

At some point, Solarforce shifted their hosts for 18650 batteries. Before that, P60-style drop-ins fit just fine. I have a now discontinued L2R which runs an M31L just fine. In later Solarforce hosts, I had to dig up a spring to slip on my Malkoff drop-ins to complete the circuit.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
At some point, Solarforce shifted their hosts for 18650 batteries. Before that, P60-style drop-ins fit just fine. I have a now discontinued L2R which runs an M31L just fine. In later Solarforce hosts, I had to dig up a spring to slip on my Malkoff drop-ins to complete the circuit.

The shelf/lip at the bottom of the socket of the L2r is wider, because it uses the thinner AA cells, so the malkoff probably sits on it just fine. I believe the socket of their lights for 18mm cells have always been straight, requiring dropins with a tapering end to use an external spring for contact.

That wide L2r shelf shorted out a number of my drop ins with exposed chips on the bottom of the driver.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was probably a bad example, but I swear I remember using Solarforce hosts "before" without issue. Ah well - they say memory is the second thing to go.

feedramp

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2 with "External Tooth Lock Washer" installed:

washer_zpslz0xrogb.jpg

Last edited: