Mac EDC SST-50 photo shoot.

fyrstormer

Banned
Mine just arrived today, 4th run, Ti, 4500K, 1.4 amps, with clip. Here are some pictures of it:

CIMG4263.jpg

CIMG4267.jpg

The multi-light-source effect on this picture looks really nice:
CIMG4270.jpg

CIMG4276.jpg

CIMG4273.jpg

Size comparison with a McGizmo Haiku:
CIMG4278.jpg

Here's a closeup of the business end:
CIMG4264a.png

Last edited:

Barbarian

Enlightened
I'm glad you finally got your hands on this wonderful light. Nice photos.

BTW, the 4500k, 1.4 version was the right call. :thumbsup:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG. I've been so busy lusting over other custom lights that this one somehow got past me. MY LOSS!! Fortunately, Weklund posted for sale a cool white 2800 mA brass specimen, and based upon the glowing reviews from Fyrstormer, Arewethereyetdad, Barbarian and many others, I jumped all over it.

I plan to include it in a comprehensive new set of beamshots/reviews this weekend. My wife and daughter are going to be out of town visiting my son (college boy) and it'll just be me, my new 'refurbed' Canon 40D, and all my pretty little lights.

I tested this monster in my IS - on low I read it at 20 lumen, medium 128, and high at 395!! And this is on an AW RCR (yes, my IMRs should be here tomorrow.) WOW!!

Sign me up for the next titanium run!! Here are a few photos...

IMG_0130-1.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

That's a Haiku XRE version next to it...
IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

Please Mac - another run please!! :twothumbs:twothumbs

Last edited:

Barbarian

Enlightened
Can't wait for your beamshots this weekend Dan!

Sweet photos above of two beautiful lights.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan you will probably beat me to it, I've been meaning to do a Haiku XR-E (as a standard), a cool 2.8 EDC and a warm 2.8 EDC. My good cameras are at home, so it's a Canon G10 for my shots.

Maybe I'll throw in the Ti PD XP-G and my 27LT XP-G as I said I would do those but haven't got around to it. I'm staying in Chicago this weekend so should have some free time. Of course there could be some two hearted ale calling my name.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, nice pics! The brass looks great -- I was able to get in on that run, so just waiting for Mac to finish those up. :party:

No photos yet, but this morning I 'cleaned up' the light with some fine sanding wool then Wenol polish. Geez - you should see it now! totally different shade - bright and beautiful - and that's before you turn it on.

Took it out on the morning dog walk, and all I can say is "Wow". Talk about your wall of light. Lo is fine for most of my walk - medium is great for those time where you want to see what lurks - high is just a d*mn "Shock and Awe" setting!! Are you kidding me? ONE CELL - and this thing lights half a football field. I put a freshly charged AW RCR in it (reading 4.2), used the light for 30 minutes, about 50% of the time on lo, 40% of the time on medium, the 10% of the time giggling like a kid with it on hi. Never got hot - only warm. Battery reads 3.81 now.

Question: does the IMR actually allow the light to produce more brightness, or is it more of a safety factor?

:twothumbs

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd really appreciate a side by side with the EDC, Haiku and Ra Clicky if anyone has all three.

Indeed - this weekend I'll compare the following:

Haiku XRE
Haiku XPG
Haiku XPGW
Clicky 170 narrow
Clicky 100 High CRI
Spy 007 modded with XPG Neutral
among others....;)

All with the SST-50 2800mA 6500.

Probably won't show up in the forum until Sunday...someone else may be able to do it for you beforehand, but by Sunday I'll post what you are looking for! :thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
No photos yet, but this morning I 'cleaned up' the light with some fine sanding wool then Wenol polish. Geez - you should see it now! totally different shade - bright and beautiful - and that's before you turn it on.
heheheh...I like my flashlights the way I like my women...:devil:

That's a nice high-maintenance relationship you just bought yourself, though; in keeping with my previous analogy, there's a reason I buy all my lights in titanium... :p

Question: does the IMR actually allow the light to produce more brightness, or is it more of a safety factor?
IMRs have lower internal resistance than normal Li-Ions, which allows them to discharge at a higher current. They also don't explode when you beat them up, which is nice. They don't hold as much charge, though.

I'm running my 1.4 on an unprotected UltraFire Li-Ion right now; I use a lot of AWs in my Gizmos, but I opted to forgo the cutoff circuit in my Mac EDC because the light will start blinking when it's time to change the battery. That's good enough for me -- I was never one of those kids who thought it would be fun to hold lit firecrackers in my hands.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMRs have lower internal resistance than normal Li-Ions, which allows them to discharge at a higher current. They also don't explode when you beat them up, which is nice. They don't hold as much charge, though.

So there's no difference in output then, right? Just curious - tonight I'll satisfy my curiosity with the sphere!

Yup, this is my first non-titanium custom light, but it was just too good an opportunity to pass up. Frankly, I like the look of the brass, and the darn thing is heavy enough that it would make a serious projectile when hurled at an object..:devil:

fyrstormer

Banned
There is a difference using IMRs with the 2.8 drivers, because the IMRs can sustain a 3+ amp discharge rate for longer. I'm pretty sure regular Li-Ions can provide the necessary wattage on a full charge, but the IMRs can handle it even after they've been drained for a while. As far as protected Li-Ions are concerned, though, I don't know if the cutoff circuit can permit the battery to discharge fast enough to drive the 2.8 driver at full power.

SFfanman

Enlightened
Great pics here. :twothumbs

Any chance one would be brave enough to replace these inards and transplant them in a Haiku? Based on size, there doesn't seem to be much difference. Any links on a runtime tests?

fyrstormer

Banned
Great pics here. :twothumbs

Any chance one would be brave enough to replace these inards and transplant them in a Haiku? Based on size, there doesn't seem to be much difference. Any links on a runtime tests?
There's actually a pretty significant difference in size. The back-end of an Aleph light engine can fit into a battery tube cut to fit a CR123, whereas the Mac EDC light engine needs a tube that's wider by at least a couple mm's. The Mac EDC light engine is also substantially longer, and the reflector is attached to it, though I haven't determined how permanent the attachment is.

Last edited: