New Fenix bicycle flashlight mount ( AF02 )

NightKids

Enlightened
So how do I buy this? I'm from Australia.

Doesn't seem like other Fenix selling websites have it ...

1 what

Enlightened
Very interesting...I hope it's better than the original mount which is the only thing from Fenix that has not impressed me with its design and build. Reviews anyone?

Beckler

Enlightened
The problem I see, like with the first version, is that it's way too big & wide. As any cyclist knows, there's not much space on the handlebar, esp. with a computer also. This thing looks like it will take up an entire side. They need something as compact as the rubber/velcro type mounts, which do the job, but aren't too solid.

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
Daf3m –

Thanks for posting this link. Because of your link, just bought two. Had been trying to find a gun mount to adapt to a bike, just was having too many issues with jury rigging something to mount a light.

My gf just got a new bike she wanted to ride at night, and we had been looking at buying a "bicycle" light to do so. We live in Los Angeles, and apparently there is a 200lm min recommended. Haven't been able to find the law, but looking for a good light, they are pretty damn expensive --$150 to $500 for a bike specific light that is between 150 and 400lm.

Being that we both have good flashlights, started looking for a mount. The specs for the AF02 indicated it would hold a .7inch to like 1.25 inch diameter lights. Now, she has a nitecore defender infinity extreme R2 which is 220lm on high, which has a thinner battery compartment, so I was looking for a mount that would support her light. Havent tried hers, but pretty sure it will mount in fine.

So, after ordering two of these from Torchwood.com.au [which shipped from Austrialia to Los Angeles in 5 days with their normal shipping], got to set the light up.

I got one for myself also, hoping it would work with my lights. I have an older E2e with a TLS Cree Q5 conversion head [220lm] from opticshq.com, a novatac 120P and a Surefire 6P [hopefully with a malkoff shortly]. The pics I attached are of the mount with the E2e, which has a narrower battery tube than the 1-inchers.

Impressions:

1) The mount is made of a light hard plastic. There are two long bolts that mount on the bottom, attaching the light to the handlebars. The bolts screw into some sort of metal lined sheath -- holds very securely on the bars. The mount is light, but when secured does feel sturdy. Use will tell its sturdiness, but right now I'm not very concerned about it breaking or the bolts stripping.

2) The side you mount the light with has one bolt. There are two layers of rubber inside, which are both removable. As you can see in the pic, the E2e fits very securely with both rubber spacers in, without having to take the clip off. My 6P fit perfect also when I removed the inner rubber layer. No question that the light feels securely mounted. It holds the E2e and would probably hold something a little narrower [maybe some thicker AA tubes], and if not, layering some ducktape should work. It easily holds the 6P -- 1" battery tube sized lights.

3) The top half swivels on the bars, with a ratchet-like clicking. There isn't a way to access the swivel to adjust or tighten it the ratchet, so, I don't plan on twisting the hell out of it to see if I can wear it out. There isn't much play laterally, and it feels like it stays pretty snug on the side to side setting you leave it on.

Will comment more after some ride...but pretty glad to be able to adapt the lights we have without having to go get some bike light that wouldn't have nearly the beam quality of the stuff we have already.

Also, first time trying to post pics, so wish me luck.

And all that said, these things were $16 bucks, and for that price, I am pretty stoked.

Please tell me if these pics come through.
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/aldagoods/IMG_3228.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/aldagoods/IMG_3229.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/aldagoods/IMG_3230.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/aldagoods/IMG_3231.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/aldagoods/IMG_3232.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/aldagoods/IMG_3235.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
Crap. sorry about the pics. Thought they were rotated properly, but apparently they arent. Hope they good enough.

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
ya. torchworld. oops. typo. Side note -- make sure to order more than one thing from them -- as the shipping wasn't cheap, like $20. I added a couple items to justify the shipping cost. I wasnt able to find a vendor that sold this mount in the US.

Oh ya, took it for a ride last night..with that E2e and the TLS head, even though its more of a thrower than a flood [significantly more], it worked great. Ive got a much older incan cygolite bike headlamp system [6v system, dual bulbs mount], which maybe puts out 40lumens -- just night and day difference, literally, with the E2e. I may rig a diffuser of sorts for the E2e to see how that works. Also, the light nor the mount do not rattle around at all.

Last, I do have the light focused down, but because the reflector isnt designed as a headlight, it definitely got the attention of oncoming cars to the point where they actually slowed up [residential side streets without lanes], even though I had it at about a 30 degree downward angle.

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
FYI. got the other mount on her bike finally. Again, she has a nitecore extreme R2, ..the cr123 body, that has that very narrow battery tube. Also a very short single cell EDC. And, the mount fits like it was made for it. Attaching some pics. You can see the older incan light I have on the other side with the dual larger reflectors. Random question -- it's a 6v system, max 6.5v for the bulbs -- anyone want to mod it? Will pay. The reflectors look designed for one one flood, one spot/distance. But, the bulbs just dont put out mad lumens. Old. has one big *** brick of an acid battery pack.

nitecorebike.jpg

bothincannitecore.jpg

incannitecore2.jpg

Makedonas

Newly Enlightened
Daf3m –

Thanks for posting this link. Because of your link, just bought two. Had been trying to find a gun mount to adapt to a bike, just was having too many issues with jury rigging something to mount a light.

Thank you for your mini-review on this mount!!!

This mount is apparantly new, and I was just going to purchase it and hope it was better than the previous one (which had some issues... it wasn't very steady)....

How much did you pay for shipping from the au site? i found it on fenix-store.com for 18 bucks and free ww shipping.

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
Ya, when I found the link to it on fenix, it wasn't even available for sale. The AUS shipping was like 20 bucks. PRICY...but..ordered two and dealt with it. At least they shipped very fast. It seemed like it was a new product [almost for sale nowhere], and I wanted to get a solution for her night riding quickly.

good to hear Fenix is actually selling their own stuff now. So far, no complaints.

Makedonas

Newly Enlightened
Ya, when I found the link to it on fenix, it wasn't even available for sale. The AUS shipping was like 20 bucks. PRICY...but..ordered two and dealt with it. At least they shipped very fast. It seemed like it was a new product [almost for sale nowhere], and I wanted to get a solution for her night riding quickly.

good to hear Fenix is actually selling their own stuff now. So far, no complaints.

Yea the link i provided states that it was added august 3rd... so you're one of the first ones to use it :)

Sorry for the questions... but does it rattle left and right at all while you ride or is it sturdy? Every review i've read on the previous version said it would swivel left and right while riding... but this one looks like a much more sturdy and well made piece.

burpee

Newly Enlightened
I don't get it. I continue to use a home-made and it continues to work flawlessly. My LD20 is mounted to the left side of the bar so I can tilt into on-coming traffic for attention an high-beam offenders.

If it does not return to a perfect position, I can lift the flashlight body and return it to "straight on" mode. However, its only being used as a utility spot anyway.

I have one of the "store bought" mounts and it sees like more hassle than its worth, and real gain in function.
battery-stud.jpg

Last edited:

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
It hasn't swiveled yet. It really doesn't rattle much at all. Caviat: I'm on the streets and not dirt trails so can't comment for offroad use.

Makedonas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you aldagoods!! I'm going to order the mount now!

Now all that remains is to decide on the flashlight :thumbsup: (i had that narrowed down until i found cpf hehe)

swordfish2

Newly Enlightened
Guys, can you share more pics please? Would love to see how it looks with different lights and different bikes. Especially if anyone has a hybrid or mountain bike with straight handles.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I just asked this in another thread and now found this one:

"I have the old one and it attaches to the bike very solid and the light sits tight in it but the upper and lower parts rattles in relation to each other.
I have put two pieces from a creditcard between them and now it's without rattle."

Is the new AF02 solid and no rattle without "modding"?
The old on had a lot side to side play and also up and down. Is the new on with less rattle or no rattle?
If I still have to make some "modding" I may just as well keep the old one.

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
As far as any rattle and side to side play, there really isnt. The two mounting bolts really hold the mount on firm, and the top piece has very little movement.

Note - I have been using "lighter" weight lights...not like a 9P with some huge turbo head on it...anyone using heavier lights? I've used my E2e with an LED head and the nitecore primarily.