• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired [FS] Custom MagAA OFC heatsink

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SOLD] Custom MagAA OFC heatsink

The cloned version of the famous mariposaoyako OFC heatsink is now available.

Original at left, cloned version at right
CIMG0036ss.jpg

Cloned version with retainer ring removed
CIMG0037ss.jpg

For information on the original version, check here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216656

mariposaoyako devised and made these sinks back in late 2008 to provide an alternative method in making custom LEs for MagAA usage. He has also made custom stainless steel lens bezel rings for MagAA which had since sold like hotcakes.
Unfortunately he is too busy at work (per previous communication) so he could not continue with this endeavor anymore, thus no more units nor support will be offered.

I've had these heatsinks made due to constant demand as well as personal needs.

The cloned version is manual machined (instead of the original which is CNC lathed, according to my machinist) so overall precision may not be as high. However overall functionality is unchanged.
(Since qualtiy economical CNC service is NOT AT ALL available in my area, manual machining becomes the only option. The machining process is aided by electronic calipers with precision up to a few Cs.)

The cloned version features a shorter retaining ring in hopes to lay flush with the center platform when tightened, but in the end the ring's height turns out a little lower than expected. Installation of certain emitters with larger footprint may still be possible, but not recommended.

The cloned version is machined from C1100 solid rod instead of the original's C1020.

I could only afford to have a very limited quantity made for this batch, and pricing will be a bit more expensive than mariposaoyako's initial price. I'm not gaining much from this sale though: most of the revenue will be to offset the machinist's expertise and overtime work needed to finish the sinks, extra time used for technical (and 3D) drawing by a friend, repeated trips to the machinist's workshop etc. etc.

Due to various unfavorable factors, a second run may not be ensued.

All sets are SOLD OUT as of 7/23/2011. Each set includes main canister, retaining ring, and three BM2x4 GND screws.
I have personally tested each sink to ensure effective fitting inside the MagAA body.
For amended installation instructions, see post 2.

Price will be $22 plus $5 registered shipping for the first set. Paypal only (must add surcharge regardless of CC or cash balance).
Available options:
Fraen LP optic $4 (2 available)
Carclo 6-deg optic ALL SOLD

I will not be responsible for lost or damaged shipment, nor any other postal mishaps -- especially if anyone chooses to forego registered shipping for standard shipping (included in base price).

Interested parties please reply to this thread and specify the number of sinks to be ordered. I will then send PM for payment instructions.
Any questions please post them here. Do not PM (box is full but cannot be cleared up anytime soon).
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assembly/installation instructions (photos courtesy of mariposaoyako):

1-8.jpg

9-12.jpg

1. Prepare heatsink and driver board. Solder wires into LED+/- holes. A U-shaped cavity must be manually filed out at the base in order to accomodate any SMT inductor built too close to the PCB's edge (especially in the case of currently built BBNG and SOB boards). Otherwise, the driver board cannot yield a centered fit below the canister.
(NOTE: some experienced modders suggest repositioning the inductor inwards to create more clearance for fitment, thus eliminating the need to file off the canister's sidewall. This may be possible, but per their claims, other problems may arise. This method is not recommended to any average-skilled builder/modder, especially since the original creator (mariposaoyako) has chosen not to do so. Exercise this step at your own discretion.)

2. Wrap GND wire around M2 screw and install screw from under the canister. Guide LED+/- wires thru canister.

3,4. Cover SMT components with Kapton tape and carefully position driver below heatsink.

5: Pot driver with thermal compound, epoxy, and/or both. Do not use epoxy if dissembly is reserved for future maintenance.

6,7. Reclean major surfaces on the heatsink (incl. threaded center) and around the top lip of the body, to ensure effective electrical contact.

8: Guide partially completed LE towards the top lip with eg. a pencil (preferably one with an unused, unopened flat end). Make sure the center (threaded "tower") goes thru the cavity completely until the shelf (lower part of the sink) rests firmly against the underside of the lip.

9,10: Clamp LE onto Mag body. With the guide pencil (perferably with end tip wrapped with masking tape, sticky side out), apply upward force against backside of the driver board, then screw down retainer ring until it stops completely. If LE doesn't rotate, then it is successfully secured onto the lip. This step is very important because any possible rotation of the LE can result in contact problems during operation. If retainer ring does not screw down smoothly from one side, try repeating from the other side.

11. Apply thermal paste/epoxy on heatsink's platform; install and wire emitter. Special care must be taken when trimming the emitter leads: undertrimming will obstruct the retainer ring's threaded pathway while overtrimming will complicate soldering wires to the emitter's (LED+/-) leads.
When assembly is completed, power up and test-run LE to check for any abnormalities. Once done, screw down bezel (with the appropriate optic installed) until the optic rests on the substrate. Test the LE again for any additional contact problems.

12,13. The retainer ring's height from the orignal mariposaoyako design had to be slightly higher due to certain technicalities in manufacture, which unfortunately complicates installation of LEDs in the final stages. Also, installation of certain emitters with a larger footprint is impossible without sanding down the retainer ring to match the center platform height (when the ring is tightened). While certain high-power emitters (eg. MC-E, K2/TFFC) can be utilized, they are not recommended in a MagAA setup due to limitations in effective heatsinking (even with this sink), as well as limited power choices (even 2x14500 is not enough to drive such LEDs efficiently).

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where the emitter is mounted what is the diameter between the +/- wire grooves?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was waiting for me when I got home. Looks great, now just absorbing the possibilities. IMO its nicer than the pics show it, and really looking forward to it. Hoping for a XR-E Lion set up with an aspherical, a really poor mans deft type maybe.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can do anything from 1 to 4 or 5. Depends on price as I'm trying to use some inexpensive hosts.
This canister is MagAA-specific.
It may however be able to be adapted to other light hosts, if custom retainer rings are made to fit the light concerned.

Some time ago I was planning to have a custom retainer ring designed for use on the Q3. The main tower module will screw into this ring from below, then drop into the Q3 host.

Unfortunately I had to let go of this little project due to time constraints. I do however have another custom heatsink for the Q3 or similar light, which will house a 14mm driver.